It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Men Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2005, 01:27 PM   #1
(male)

al_corona HB User
Question "Smegma?"

About 4 days ago I pulled back the foreskin of my penis and saw what is apparently called "smegma" , it is white looking almost like dry seemen, I got worried and looked online to what is it.

The tip of my penis, about the top half of the head is lightly colored, (whitish or grayish). My scrotum has been itchy and this morning i noticed some dry skin on the scrotum.

ANY of you ever had any similiar symptoms? Is this contagious? What is it? If you can help me please please please do. I am 21.yr old male I have had very few partners i cant see it being an STD i always use a condom.

This is scaring me, started about a week ago. When the foreskin is closed the tip of my penis doesnt really itch, but if you concentrate you can feel the urge to itch it.

helllllp. please.

Maybe i just had dry skin and from the smegma and i got a few invisible cracks on my penis shaft (when pulled back) (assume a paper cut.) and now that is still a little dry it is cracking abit and that is the cause? Oh man I dont like weird things. HELP

Old 07-21-2005, 04:10 PM   #2
(female)

beck12 HB User
Re: "Smegma?"

I'm not a man - so bear with me here. From what you are describing (in my 2nd hand experience) it could be a yeast infection. Many people wrongly think that only women get yeast, but men in fact do as well & sorry to say it seems from what I've seen, mostly men with in-tact foreskin. I know you don't want to hear go to the Dr - but really you should. If in fact it is a yeast infection as it sounds to be, they can prescribe you a single dose of an antifungal pill & that will get rid of it. Yeast infections are passed between partners, so if you had a partner w/ yeast, you probably caught it, it's not an STD, it's an infection. NEVER leave anything that seems abnormal untreated on your genitals, you don't want to risk any loss of function sexually or reproductively. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2005, 05:01 PM   #3
(male)

al_corona HB User

THANK U SO MUCH

After yesterday it really started to clear up today. Looks a lot better, no dry skin, smegma almost gone..

if it does come back i will consult.

thanks so much.

Old 07-22-2005, 12:01 AM   #4
(male)

dakels HB User

beck gives a good answer. To continue on it:

Smegma is normal and healthy part of having a foreskin (also on circumcized penises as well). It is a collection of dead skin, sweat, semen, and other not so pleasant but normal body fluids. It's always important to wash your penis thoroughly. Pull the skin back on an uncircumcised penis and wash it thoroughly with soap and water (normal shower/bath, etc). Smegma is normal but you should always clean that whole area very well as to avoid bacterial/fungal infections. If you wash every day (and always pull back the foreskin to wash), you wont see too much smegma build up.

As beck12 stated, you should always be concerned about STD's or infections. Any unusual conditions lasting days, or is painful or some sort of visual indicator should always be reported to your doctor ASAP.

Old 07-22-2005, 06:37 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Geoff B HB UserGeoff B HB UserGeoff B HB UserGeoff B HB UserGeoff B HB UserGeoff B HB User

Soap can cause yeast infections. Plain water is usually enough to keep it clean unless there has been a build up. If you do use soap it must be mild and unscented and you must be very careful to rinse it all off. Over-the-counter antifungal/antiyeast creams (designed for women's genitalia) from a pharmacy will usually clear up under-foreskin yeast or fungal infections.
Geoff

Closed Thread