It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Men Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2005, 08:47 AM   #1
(male)

thefunkybeat HB User
Reiter's Syndrome & woozyness

Hello,

I have recently been diagnosed with Reiter's Syndrome after suffering from epididymitis following unprotected sex during a one night stand back in february. I went to my GP with this and he prescribed Cipro and advised me to visit the STD clinic. I went and was tested - all tests came back clear (although I had already started taking the Cipro which I believe can confuse the issue and give a false result). About 3 weeks after the epididymitis my left knee swelled up causing extreme pain. My GP arranged for blood tests and all were fine apart from a very high CRP of 167 and a ESR of 57.

Also fluid was drained from my knee which showed no sign of infection.

My GP treated the arthritis with cortisteroid tablets which eased the swelling and made me more comfortable. He refered me to a Urologist & a Rhumatologist.

I have had an ultrasound on my testicle which has shown everything is normal, apart from the epididymitis.

I haven't had any urethritis though, and although my eyes have been sore, I've only had really mild conjunctivitis.

I still have the epididymitis, although it comes and goes throughout the day - sometimes my testicle feels normal - other times as solid as a rock.

My urologist has now prescribed me with a six week course of Doxycycline, and my rhumatologist has given me two cortisteroid injections - one in my knee, and one in my backside. I'm due to see him again in November.

I now have oral thrush (which my rhumatologist tells me is from all the antibiotics & steroids I have been taking), but it will not go away despite taking two courses of Nystan.

Throughout the whole ordeal I have been feeling really tired, lethargic & woozy (almost drunk-like) and are now feeling really down and depressed about the whole thing, especially as I do not have the energy to play my drums with my band.

Is anyone else out there experiencing this lethargy and wooziness following Reiter's syndrome? And does anyone have any ideas about beating the oral thrush?

I'd really appreciate talking to anyone in my position. I've not felt myself for several months now and are worried I'll never get back to my normal self.

Thanks.

J,

Last edited by moderator2; 09-04-2005 at 09:10 AM. Reason: please follow your topic here - do not post multiple boards

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2008, 03:41 PM   #2
(male)

John in Edinbur HB User
Re: Reiter's Syndrome & woozyness

Hi J

Are you still online? I googled certain words and this link came up. Basically I too suffer from an epididymus which gets hard and then soft and normal during the day. I was diagnosed with AS ankylosing spondylitis but am now wondering if I have Reiter's syndrome as I have had suffered from NSU.

At the moment I seem to be having my annual bout of iritis which is nasty. I hate it.

I know you posted this a long time ago but I would be interested in hearing from you, if you got better and how are your testicles now.

Regards,

J

Old 01-04-2009, 10:35 PM   #3
(male)

EB02 HB User
Re: Reiter's Syndrome & woozyness

I have had Reiter's Syndrome for more than 20 years and it manifests itself in a variety of ways. I have never had epididymitis, but had chronic urethritis for many years. My original diagnosis was AS, but over the years as other symptoms began to show up, including large joint involvement of the knees, we began looking for other causes. That led to the diagnosis of Crohn's and once this was treated, the knee symptoms because less severe. I am on record with my ophthalmologist with the longest running bout of iritis that he has ever treated. I also developed from time to time very painful white sores on the back of my throat and have had skin lesions on my legs that all relate to Reiter's Syndrome. I developed prostate cancer at age 53 which I can't help but believe related to all of the years of inflammation of my urinary tract. Fortunately, this was detected early through a PSA blood test and I had successful surgery and indications are so far that I remain cancer free. The urethritis has not been as noticeable since that surgery. After a long journey, most of my symptoms are now under control with maintenance level dosages of several medications including sulfasalazine to treat the Crohn's and a moderate dosage of Imuran which suppresses the immune system and has controlled further development of the throat sores and skin lesions. I think that the Imuran has also had a positive effect on the iritis. With periodic checks by my opthalmologist, I now take a maintenance dose of the steroid drops (1 drop in each eye twice a week) that seems to prevent the recurrence of the iritis, at least for now.

Closed Thread