It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Men Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2005, 10:40 AM   #1
(male)

al2009 HB User
Painful Pounding headaches

Alright, first off, i'm 18, and just moved into a dorm in college about a month ago.

Before coming to college, i used to masturbate about 10-15 times a week, whenever i felt like it, basically. Now, needless to say (yet i say it anyway), that frequency has been pretty much destroyed. Now i'm lucky if i can get in 5 sessions a week.

However, last week, i started getting terrible headaches shortly after beginning the process. I will get erect, and start stroking, then i would begin to feel a pounding in the back of my head near the base of my skull and the top of my neck. Sometimes they appear on the right/left side, but it usually happens on both sides. The more aroused/heated i get, the worse the pounding becomes. Sometimes it gets to be too much, and i have to stop masturbating. Even then, the pain doesn't go away immediately.... it lasts for about 10-15 minutes afterwards.

This has never happened to me before. The headaches don't happen if i'm exercising (thought it was something to do with blood pressure maybe), and they don't appear until after i start masturbating. I can be erect without the pulsating in my skull, but not do anything about it. I'm worried that the next time i have sex, the same problem will happen.

Does this happen to anyone else? Is it serious? What can i do to alleviate the frequency/intesity of these headaches?

EDIT: I searched around the rest of the site, and found some more info about this. "Benign coital headaches" is what this is termed, i guess. However, the majority of the ones i've seen from other members have been in the front of the head.... Does the placement in the back of the head make a difference? And is there any other treatment besides abstaining from sexual activity for a while? Come on.... i'm in college.....

Last edited by al2009; 09-13-2005 at 11:39 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2005, 02:27 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

namewrong HB User
Re: Painful Pounding headaches

WOW!! I'm going through the same thing.. Only i'm "F" It's stress related migraine headaches... They hurt really bad. Do bright lights bother you? Feel sick to your tummy? It was worse when i had a orgasm. I went to the Dr. and was put on Imitrex. It's working! Thank god!!!
Hope you feel better and go get checked out. Peace Vee

Old 09-13-2005, 02:46 PM   #3
(male)

al2009 HB User

Nah, the only thing i'm feeling is headaches.... i've never had a migraine before, but i know that i'm not sensitive to light/feeling sick when they happen. I don't become dizzy/disoriented/drowsy/anything else... it's just a huge throbbing pain in the base of the back of my head.

Old 09-14-2005, 02:07 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

namewrong HB User

Then you better go see a Dr. or go to the emergency room at your local hospital... Better to be safe then sorry... Peace Vee

Old 09-15-2005, 10:07 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

namewrong HB User

Well??? Did ya go too the Dr's???

Old 09-15-2005, 03:53 PM   #6
(male)

al2009 HB User

Nah, i'm still in the city where my dorm is. Going home this weekend. Dunno if i should go to the doctor now or not. I've seen other topics on these forums (and sites around the net relating to what's goin on) that said they may go away after a week/weeks of abstaining from any sexual activity. I'm going to give it a week or two without doing anything to see if it'll get better by itself. I've read that there's no real definate cause of the headaches besides the excitement, so i'm gonna take my chances and see how it goes without masturbating/having sex for a while.

Last edited by al2009; 09-15-2005 at 03:54 PM.

Old 09-15-2005, 05:10 PM   #7

Renn HB User

"....i'm gonna take my chances and see how it goes without masturbating/having sex for a while."

Well, good luck, pal, but I think you're gonna find that's a lot easier to say than to do -- or rather, NOT do. If you're used to masturbating a couple of times a day, which is perfectly normal, your system's probably gonna really rebel after 2-3 days if you suddenly stop having sex with yourself.

Besides, you need to take a different approach to masturbating in the dorm. Be assured, most guys in college don't stop masturbating, or even cut down significantly, just because they've got a roommate. I'm speaking from experience. Just do it at times when he's asleep or not in the room; or if you're not noisy, it doesn't even have to be when he's asleep. (I'm assuming you generally do it in bed at night/morning, which is the usual case.) He's not necessarily gonna know about it, BUT more importantly, he's not gonna care. Unless he's abnormal, you can bet your bottom dollar that he's not going without getting HIS jollies, so why should you? I think most roommates settle on an unspoken agreement that both of them "do the deed," just like they eat and sleep, and don't get bent out of shape at the thought that they may be heard by the other party, or if they hear the other party doing it.

I can't offer any medical opinion about the "masturbation headaches," but I can't help but wonder if your sudden cut-down on sex might have something to do with the onset of the headaches in the first place. Doesn't sound likely, but then it's a pretty odd coincidence of timing that the sex-related headaches began at the very time that you cut down on HAVING sex.

Unless this is just a passing thing that lasts for week or so, I think you should definitely see a doctor & just tell him right out what's happening--you masturbate, you get a ridiculous headache--what's going on? Remember, he's a guy too (definitely go to a male doctor for this kind of thing, not a female!) & has put in his own time masturbating, so there's no need to feel embarrassed--though of course to feel a little bit that way's natural. I think he'll probably give you a prescription to take care of the situation. -- Which reminds me to ask, do you take a regular across-the-counter headache medicine like Advil or Tylenol before you have your sex? That might be sufficient by itself.

In any case, let us know what develops. It's an interesting situation, and one that I've never heard of. Sexual activity and orgasm/ejaculation is known to sometimes get RID of headaches, not cause them.

Old 09-17-2005, 12:55 PM   #8
(male)

al2009 HB User

Ok..... update:

I came home from college this weekend after not masturbating/having sex since tuesday. Masturbated earlier today (saturday) and only felt a slight tension in the back of my head. No pounding, no pain, it just sorta seemed liked the muscles tightened....

I wonder what could've caused this though..... I've tried various masturbation positions (standing, sitting, laying down) in my dorm, but had the same pounding-headache result. I get home and sit in my computer chair, and have a relatively quick/painless orgasm.... I wonder if it had something to do with the time i orgasmed.... it wasn't very long from start to finish today, so maybe my mind just didn't have enough time to start throbbing... or maybe it's a psychological thing, and that now i'm home, i'm in a more comfortable environment? Either way, the true test will either be tonight (with my girlfriend) or when i get back to my dorm...

BTW: I'd have no problem going to the doctor about it, it's just that i'm broke, and i don't want to get my parents' money/health insurance thing involved unless i'm sure it's a "see a doctor" situation.

Old 09-17-2005, 09:29 PM   #9
(male)

al2009 HB User

Ok, another update. I was with my girlfriend tonight and had absolutely no problem performing. Didn't have any pain or tension in the back of my head, and it wasn't even on my mind. The next step will be to see if it happens in my dorm room again. If it does, it's gotta be something about that environment (either the position, lighting, atmospheric pressure, idk, something!)

I really have had no problem masturbating in my dorm until the headaches started. I'm not nervous about it (my roommate is out of the room very often) so i don't really have to rush or anything. I still haven't figured out a possible cause of the headaches yet....

Closed Thread