It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Men Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2006, 09:26 AM   #1
(male)

hanks202 HB User
ongoing problem

Hello, I am an 18 year old male just joined the boards to see if you guys can help me!

I have had this problem now for about 8 months I think. It comes and goes, but it is just horrible.

Anyway, it will start with a slight itching in the tip of the penis, and after a few relieving scratches (lol) I will find this awful creamy white discharge like stuff inside the fore-skin. After a while, maybe half an hour, this will turn from itching to pain, as the tip of the fore-skin becomes red and inflamed - very painful. The fluid not only smells disgusting, it also appears endless until it has passes (usually less than 24 hours) but then, tops of a month later, it will come back.

I once plucked up the courage to go to my doctor and get a swabbing (I took it home and did there because I didn't have it at the time of going to the doctor) but I didn't manage get it back in time to the doctors I don't think because the results came back as something like "no germs on swabbing".

I know the best thing I can do is to go to the doctors, but I would just really like to hear from anyone that knows anything about the situation to see if they can shed some light on it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2006, 10:47 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

X5DRIVER HB User
Re: ongoing problem

Sounds like a yeast infection. Not uncommon among men with foreskins since the inside of the foreskin traps moisture and is an ideal breeding ground for these organisms.

You need to get a female anti-yeast cream from the store and use to get rid of the infection whenever it occurs. Unfortunately, there really is nothing to keep it from coming back other than a circumcision.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2006, 11:02 AM   #3
(male)

hanks202 HB User

see now that is what I thought it might be, and your saying that is quite a relief really.

But I mean, it is so regular, I think I probably have it about 20% of the time, surely this can't be common can it? Do you think if I improve hygene in that area things will improve?

Old 01-14-2006, 08:21 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

X5DRIVER HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanks202
see now that is what I thought it might be, and your saying that is quite a relief really.

But I mean, it is so regular, I think I probably have it about 20% of the time, surely this can't be common can it? Do you think if I improve hygene in that area things will improve?
Defiinitely. Make sure you always retract to urinate and dab off the excess urine before putting back your foreskin. Also, retract and dry off well after showering. You may want to use a baby powder to also keep the moisture down.

Also, you are not a diabtetic are you?

Last edited by Administrator; 01-16-2006 at 06:06 PM. Reason: edited hanks' username

Old 01-14-2006, 08:24 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

SpunkyStuart HB User

Well yes if you think you can improve the cleanliness that might indicate that it would be a good idea!

Assuming that you can retract your foreskin make sure that you wash this thoroughly in the shower or bath. If you cannot get your foreskin back then this could be part of the problem, and you should refer to the methods already posted to help you to achieve that.

Old 01-14-2006, 09:40 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

tommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB User

in the meantime, you might want to try something for the yeast. anything over the counter for womens' yeast will work for a man.
the penis is used to urine. there is no need to dab after urinating. this is pretty much hygiene carried to an extreme. washing your penis in the men's room after urinating is cleaner, too, but you don't see anyone doing it.
as far as being an ideal breeding ground, a vagina is more ideal than a penis.
as far as circumcision helping, why do circumcised men get yeast infections?
the answer is, they just happen sometimes.

Old 01-15-2006, 07:37 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

SpunkyStuart HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5DRIVER
Also, retract and dry off well after showering. You may want to use a baby powder to also keep the moisture down.
Baby powder under the foreskin is a terrible idea!! The uncut mans penis will naturally lubricate itself and the idea of putting a powder under there to try to mop it up will just cause problems. The powder will get wet and clog together into lumps, probably causing infections.

Normal washing in the shower or bath every day is all that is generally needed, with soap or shower gel or whatever you would wash your face with. Then a light dab with a towel is all that is needed after that - what is the point of drying something that is going to get wet by itself - you would not towell dry your mouth and put baby powder there would you?

Perhaps advice to the uncut should come from the uncut, leaving cut men to advise cut men??

Old 01-18-2006, 06:48 PM   #8
(male)

chemicalseb HB User

Make sure that everytime you take a shower, you retract your foreskin and clean everything with soap. Regular soap will do.
There is absolutely no need for baby powder or even drying the skin under the foreskin. The water gets absorbed by the skin.

When I clean my penis, i retract the foreskin, clean with soap, and then put the foreskin back. Very simple concept, and never had problems with my penis.

I know some guys that are afraid of using soap on their penises, they think it will cause pain, or other things.
Soap does not cause any problems to the penis.
The only problem would be that the penis is sensitive and touching it could hurt. But after regularly washing it daily, there will be absolutely no discomfort.

Old 01-19-2006, 05:51 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

tommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB User

anything but the most gentle soap causes me to peel. washing with plain water works just fine.

Old 01-20-2006, 05:10 PM   #10
(male)

hanks202 HB User

seriously guys, thank you so much for your help.

I can't retract my foreskin completely without somesort of pain. But if I 'work at it' (lol) for a few minutes I can get it back fine. Also, ashamedly I only shower tops of three times a week so maybe once a day should help. And I don't clean under my penis during show time either! Another lesson to be learnt.

I am going to the doctors tommorow to enquire about circumcision. I would really REALLY like to get it done, not for religious or aesthetic reasons, but purely for hygenic reasons. How complicated a proceedure is it? Will I be able to get it done through the NHS?

Old 01-21-2006, 06:13 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Geoff B HB UserGeoff B HB UserGeoff B HB UserGeoff B HB UserGeoff B HB UserGeoff B HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanks202
seriously guys, thank you so much for your help.

I can't retract my foreskin completely without somesort of pain. But if I 'work at it' (lol) for a few minutes I can get it back fine. Also, ashamedly I only shower tops of three times a week so maybe once a day should help. And I don't clean under my penis during show time either! Another lesson to be learnt.

I am going to the doctors tommorow to enquire about circumcision. I would really REALLY like to get it done, not for religious or aesthetic reasons, but purely for hygenic reasons. How complicated a proceedure is it? Will I be able to get it done through the NHS?
You are putting the cart before the horse. Get the cream, use it and wash with plain water more often. If these things don't work then you can think about other treatments. To rush into circumcision straight away is just silly and I doubt very much if the NHS will pay for it either. Remember too that you will not be able to use your foreskin for masturbation after circumcision and your penis will be out of action for weeks, sometimes months untill the swelling goes down. Try something less drastic first.
The yeast infection can cause the foreskin to tighten but if that is not the root cause try stretching after you've cured the yeast problem. See my instructions at the top of the Mens Health board for details.
From all the posts I've seen some guys can tolerate washing with soap but others get yeast or thrush infections, whenever they use the stuff.
Geoff

Old 01-22-2006, 12:30 AM   #12
(male)

chemicalseb HB User

I think circumcision should be the absolute last option.
It was hard for me at the beginning to retract my foreskin, as it would hurt. But after doing it everyday, it became perfectly painless.

It is easy to stay very clean while being uncircumsized...you just gotta wash it everyday hehe.

Old 01-22-2006, 07:16 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

SpunkyStuart HB User

If your foreskin can be retracted, even if it may need a bit of stretching I would think the doctor will quite sensibly shy away from radical surgery as the first step. If your foreskin has acute phimosis an you cannot retract it at all then he may refer you to a general surgeon or a urologist who will make the desicion and maybe offer you a circumcision should you at that point want one.

I would suggest that if you have never washed under your foreskin that this is absolutely the first place to go! Get into a regular habit of washing it at least every day (you may want to get a bit fussy for a while to help get rid of any problems). Soap or shower gel or whatever you use on your face should be fine, obviously if your penis is sensitive to a particular type then go for a more gentle type. Make sure you retract the foreskin as far as it will go to do this, a bonus is this helps the general health of the foreskin! You should do this retraction every time you urinate as well. Then the action of pulling your foreskin back again will help to expell any last drops of urine.

To get a circumcision to save washing your penis is a bit extreme, but I guess you could ask for your hands to be amputated at the same time then you wouldnt need to wash them either!!

The process of circumsision is normally an overnight stay, general anasthetic, about a 20 - 40 minute operation then you wake up with a dressing tightly bound round your penis which stays there for between 3 days and a week depending on the surgeon. Then you remove the dressing and are then expected to keep to a high level of cleanliness of your penis while it heals. This could be up to six weeks or more, and since you admit you canot keep an intact penis clean I would wonder about you keeping this wound clean! The stitches should either be absorbed or drop out after a week or ten days, the longer they are in the more likely there will be "stitch tunnels" formed on your scar. Depending on the ability of the surgeon (top plastic surgeon or trainee under supervision) he may use the finest thin suture or he may use rope (!) like catgut. Probably on the NHS you will get the latter for sure.

The actual operation in men is much more complicated than in babies or young boys as the veins and structure of the penis is more developed. There are a few different methods for boys up to about puberty, but there after it generally is done as a freehand sleeve resection. There are several different styles of circumcision from loose to tight and all in between which you should discuss with the surgeon if you choose to have this done. The internet is a fantastic resource for information on this, but some sites are very pro or very anti so you should weigh up all that you read carefully (including this of course!).

Closed Thread