It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Men Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2006, 06:34 AM   #1
(male)

parasight HB User
male yeast infection?

Has anyone every had one before? How can you get rid of it with over the counter medication? I don't have health insurance and can't afford to go to the doctor right now. Here's the story...the wife and I have sex, and the next day she has a yeast infection...a day or two later, so do I. Any help/advice would be great, thanks!

Old 02-23-2006, 07:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

tommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB User
Re: male yeast infection?

Monistat, or anything like it for women's yeast, will do the trick, for about $16.
She will need it, too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2006, 10:26 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by parasight
and the next day she has a yeast infection...a day or two later, so do I.
What symptoms do you have?

Old 02-23-2006, 06:25 PM   #4
(male)

parasight HB User

hers is taken care of already, her mom paid for her to go to the doctors and they gave her an antibiotic...my symptoms, red/irritated, itchy, a little burning...that's it...I've been using lotion for dry skin and that didn't really do much..I bought monistat after work today and started with that, I'm hoping it works...thanks for the help, both of you...

Old 02-24-2006, 04:33 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

tommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB User

an antibiotic won't cure a yeast infection, it's a fungus.

Old 02-25-2006, 05:17 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Zagreus HB User

If you don't get rid of yours, she won't get rid of hers. If over the counter meds don't work (and sometimes they don't), see the doctor. That's the only solution in that case. Otherwise the two of you will keep trading the infection. For now, buy an over the counter anti-fungal ointment or powder (jock itch, athlete's foot cremes). And eat lots of yogurt. The bacteria in yogurt feed on these fungi. The over the counter stuff does usually work for men, but occasionally it won't do the trick.

Last edited by Zagreus; 02-25-2006 at 05:18 AM. Reason: typo

Old 03-01-2006, 10:34 PM   #7
(female)

HotMomma HB User

Yeast is a Bacteria. I have chronic yeast. Been battling it a very long time. It comes and goes with treatment, but was misdiagnosed by the normal tests for years. The over the counter stuff (which are mostly creams inserted in vaginas or used topically for itching) may not do the trick. They don't work at all on me. And BTW, as much as I've had it (more than my share) - no partner ever got it, so make sure you know what you are dealing with.
Go to the doc and IF IT'S YEAST, you'll get on an oral med which will clear it up rather quickly. Antibiotics are not used for yeast. If he gave her Flucanazole or Diflucan - than that IS for yeast. I would make sure and ask exactly what she has so you know what you need to do for you.
I know women tell other women to take acidophilus and eat yogurt - I have done all that in mass quantities over the years - it doesn't truly help. It doesn't. Because of my weird immune system so hyper sensitive to this bacteria, I see the leading gynological surgeon at the UW who specializes nationally in yeast (great job huh?!) and he unequivocally states it helps with stomach flora - which comes out in your stool. Doesn't help prevent or cure anything else! Sorry.

Good Luck - I know how severely irritating, itchy, and uncomfortable it is!

Closed Thread