It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Men Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2006, 10:11 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

iyami HB User
Fiance is getting a Vasectomy [advice from men who have had one?]

My fiance (age 20) is getting a vasectomy, and the reason im posting instaid him is well..

i want to find out Everything i can about it before he goes through with it, and he doenst want to hear a word of it, becuase hes easy to scare.

ive read alot.. but id really like to hear from men whove had it before, anythingyou could tell me (wheteh rit went smoothly, if twhere wa sany problem, etc) would be very appriciated

Last edited by iyami; 03-12-2006 at 10:14 PM.

Old 03-12-2006, 11:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

MommaBee HB User
Re: Fiance is getting a Vasectomy [advice from men who have had one?]

First, are you ok with not having children with this man? He is awful young to be having that done. Though he can have a reversal done later, though not every one can do that successfully, he will be required to sign a form that says that he understands that this is a permanent proceedure and that he understands that this will make him sterile.
My husband had one only after we had our last child and WE didn't want anymore.
They make a small incision on both sides of his scrotum and remove a small portion of the vas deferens. Looks like thin spegetti. In short, a vasectomy surgically blocks the vas deferens, preventing sperm from becoming part of the seminal fluid that leaves the body at sexual climax. Vas deferens are the thin tubes in the scrotum that would normally carry sperm from the testicles to become part of the ejaculate. When the sperm channel is interrupted, the man becomes sterile and can no longer father a child.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2006, 04:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

SpunkyStuart HB User

Having this done is not a perfect way of guaranteeing that there will be no children - a friend of mine had it done and fathered a son a year later!

I echo MommaBee is saying he is very young to make a decision like this. it sounds like there may be more behind this?

Old 03-13-2006, 05:17 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

I had it done, they didn't cut anything out of me just tied it off in a knot .

Old 03-13-2006, 05:40 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyami
My fiance (age 20) is getting a vasectomy
Why does a 20 year old want a vasectomy? For instance, what would he do if you died suddenly in a car accident after a year of marriage and no children?

Old 03-13-2006, 05:54 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

mrbojangle HB User

I've had one, but only after we had our third child and my wife was having problems. It wasn't a big deal for me; spend a day on the sofa with an ice pack on my groin area.

I also feel that it's very strange that a 20 year old guy would want a vasectomy!!

Old 03-13-2006, 09:44 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

He really needs to find out what he's in for. Just deciding 'I want a vasectomy' without looking into any of the details sounds a little foolish to me...

Last edited by Mod-S4; 03-13-2006 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Off topic portion removed.

Old 03-15-2006, 04:36 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Magnetic HB UserMagnetic HB User

Some men end up with some pretty bad complications, though it is not all that often. Other men report a reduction in sensation. It is not something to take lightly, though the risks to the man are certainly much less than the risks to the woman in getting pregnant. There is a web site along the lines of "don't do it" that discusses some of the things that go wrong, though extremem problems are rare.

Old 03-16-2006, 03:50 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

iyami HB User

to answer everyones quetions:

yes, there are alot of reasons behind his decision;

theres a good chance i phsycially couldnt handle haveing a child, so one of us has to get "fixed" or well just have to never have sex, and the latter sounds unpleasent.

hes also never wanted kids, still doesnt,
and if i died in a car crash hed either commit suiside or get really withdrawn and do nothing but write and train, he wouldnt find another girl, and ive known him sense we were kids, so i know what im talking about, unfortunitly

im still concidereing getting an operation myself, isntaid of him, especially after seeing the complications he could get.. but he doesnt want me getting surgery either, so were in a bind right now.

Last edited by iyami; 03-16-2006 at 03:55 PM.

Old 03-17-2006, 12:07 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User

There are other methods of birth control that work very well and don't require surgery for either of you.

It seems to me you need some counselling and emotional support because you sound as if you are making important decisions based on emotions. Perhaps a more objective person could help you sort things out.

Old 03-17-2006, 07:51 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Magnetic HB UserMagnetic HB User

Well, you can have complications, too, and the odds of problems are higher with the female than with the male. If one of you is going to get something cut and tied, it would be better for him to do it, at least from a purely physical standpoint.

But, people do change their minds as they grow older. It does not seem unreasonable to use alternate methods of BC for a few years just in case someone's mind will change.

Old 03-20-2006, 11:13 PM   #12
(female)

stephanie2105 HB User

My fiance's dad had a vasectomy done and they took 3 needles and inserted it into his scrotum (nut sac). He said that he hurt like hell but that procedure was done over 20 years ago.

Old 03-21-2006, 05:53 AM   #13
Inactive
(male)

Plasturd HB User

How could having a vasecotomy reduce sensitivity thats rediculous

Old 03-25-2006, 06:41 AM   #14
(male)

UH-60 HB User
I had one when I was 25. I was disappointed in the results. First there was an immediate change in how orgasms felt, almost like pinching your nose shut when you sneeze. Later I developed painful and swolllen "tubes". Had to have a second vasectomy to relieve the pressur. Have him get an "open ended vasectomy" to avoid this nightmare. [ deleted ]

Last edited by Mod-S4; 03-25-2006 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Detailed instructions on how to find a web site are also against the Posting Rules.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:37 PM   #15
(female)

melody2181 HB User

dont do it my husband had a vasectomy 2 years ago he was really poorly with it and he said nothing felt the same we then went private and got it reversed becouse he reggretted it so much he has become alot happier since the reversal hun i would advise you get some advice becouse what might feel right for us may not feel right for you both i hope you get all the advice and care you need take care x

Closed Thread