It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Men Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2006, 02:19 PM   #1
(male)

Accatoni HB User
Question Info I recieved on testosterone and estrogen. Any advice?

Hey there,

I just had my first exam after an initial consultation from....big suprise here...A chiropractor. I know this sounds a little strange but because of my friend's loyalty to this Dr. I am being seen and treated at next to no charge. He is one of 12 in my state licensed to provide alot more than spinal adjustments, has been in practice for a long time and constantly attends medical classes and health seminars to continue doing what he does outside of chiropractics. At first it sounded kind of like naturopathic stuff but he blew me away with his knowledge of my symptoms without even hearing about them from anyone.

I had to fill out a ton of forms about my daily activities and a 200 count questionnare about each of my body systems. He gave me a list of blood work to be performed by my family MD and he will go from there. I did not have most of the paperwork ready for my appt. yesterday and told him nothing of my symptoms. Just by doing the exam he nailed down my symptoms. It was very interesting. Too much to explain here and on the wrong board to do so.

So to get to my question here, he noticed that even though I am 6'4" and 210lbs. I had accumulated body fat around my belly and sides. He wanted to know what my testosterone level was at as he suspected I might be producing too much estrogen. I did not even tell him I was testosterone defecient and am on Androgel for that. Once he heard that he really wanted me to talk to my family MD. He asked me if my zinc intake was sufficent and I did not know. To cut to the chase here and I hope I remembered all of this. He is very excited about what he does and had so much to say I couldn't take it all in.

Here it is. Testosterone supplementation without enough zinc can be partially converted to estrogen so I was told. Given my low fat diet and moderate exercise (walking, weight training etc.) and Androgel I am still unable to develop any muscle mass or lose body fat around my belly and sides of my waist.

Any opinions?

Kind regards,

Accatoni

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2006, 09:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hayfarmer HB User
Re: Info I recieved on testosterone and estrogen. Any advice?

The Chiro is absolutely right. Your body does convert some T into estrogen. We all have an enzyme called aromatase which converts a small amount. Also, zinc is one supplement that can help to minimize aromitization. Too much estradiol (a potent form of estrogen) can ruin your libido and erections just as too little can. If you are on androgel you probably have a doctor prescribing it who is not up on the latest with respect to hormones. Even most endos are not expert in this area. The best doctors for this specialize in anti-aging.

You will convert some T to estrodial no matter what your zinc level is. But if you are defficient on zinc you may convert more. Another supplement that can help lower estrogen is DIM plus by Nature's Way. There are also some prescription drugs that can reduce aromitization and reduce your estrodial level. Your doctor should be checking your Total T, Free T and estrodial for you.

What is your age and why are you on androgel? There may be better solutions for you. Have your nipples ever been sore while on androgel? If so that is an indication your estrogen is too high and you can actually grow breats from it. I think its called gynomastia or something similar.

Old 07-03-2006, 06:03 AM   #3
(male)

hbuseruk HB User
Smile Re: Info I recieved on testosterone and estrogen. Any advice?

High levels of oestrogen in men also affects the way that fat is manipulated by the body. I think there is a condition called oestrogen resistance where the oestrogen prevents the breakdown of fat no matter how little we eat or how much exercise we take.

In women who have low oestrogen, the body stores ingested food as fat as fat can be converted to make oestrogen. Unfortunately, to get appropriate levels of oestrogen the process results in them putting on weight.

Old 07-17-2006, 01:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

JinL HB UserJinL HB User
Re: Info I recieved on testosterone and estrogen. Any advice?

Do some research on Klinefelters Syndrome. It can cause low T & high E2.

It affects about 1 in 500 males in one form or another.

Closed Thread