It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Men Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2006, 02:02 AM   #1
(male)

hottrodd HB User
Question Oxycontin & Having Children, Need Feedback Please.

Hi Everyone..

I am a 30 year old male, currently taking..

oxycontin 20mg 3 X daily
soma 350mg 3 X daily.

I also have to take naproxen 500mg or motrin 800mg occasionally (not everyday few times a month).

Me and my Wife (27 year old, no meds) have a 3 year old son together who is completely healthy. When we had him I wasn't having to take meds like I do now.

My wife was concerned because we are planning now to try and have another child. Does the oxycontin or soma effect my sperm count, or can it create any abnormalities? I know it can effect women while pregnant, but how about us men? Should I have a sperm analysis done to be sure? I have been taking these prescribed meds for about 2 - 2 1/2 years now.

Thanks for any feedback or experience with this subject.. I couldn't find any male issues on the net after long searches. Hoping to find some insight here.

Last edited by hottrodd; 07-04-2006 at 04:52 AM.

Old 07-04-2006, 05:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
Re: Oxycontin & Having Children, Need Feedback Please.

I think it would be a good idea to speak with the doctor about the medications you are taking before trying to have another baby. I don't know how the meds you are taking affect the sperm, but most of those meds are contraindicated for women who are planning on becoming pregnant.

Let the doctor know you are considering more children, and then he/she can tell you where to go from there.

Best wishes, and congratulations on possibly increasing your family!

Lezlee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2006, 11:17 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

When taking prescription drugs, docs always have to way the adverse effects against the benefits of the medicine. When I was pregnant in the 70's, I took Percodan throughout my entire pregnancy without any adverse effects on my baby. At least there weren't any obvious or known adverse effects at that time. I do know of women who take narcotic pain medications while pregnant, so I wouldn't want to make a blanket statement that ALL pregnant women shouldn't take the medications you've mentioned. But, that wasn't your question, was it?? As far as it effecting your sperm count or damaging your offspring, I haven't heard of any clinical reports stating those findings, but I'm not a doctor. I would think that a call to your doctor and/or to your wife's ob/gyn could ease your concerns. I hope you get some answers! All the best - KathyMac

Old 07-06-2006, 12:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User

I'm a male taking a bunch of meds including Amitriptyline 50mg, Oxycontin 40mg, Topamax 300mg, Lyrica 300mg twice a week, Tramadol 400mg SR, Klonopin 2mg and Omoprozole 20mg, (I think that's it, lol.....) It's for cronic Nerve pain, post op last year.

Anyhow I did a sperm count test a few weeks back, one a got from online and I past it fine :-) I don't see why it should be a problem for the mans sperm or an I missing the point; someone cherp up please if I am wrong here as we're trying for a baby now and I've not discussed this with my Doctor :-/

Old 07-07-2006, 12:01 AM   #5
(female)

Maksene HB User

My cousin's best friend took norco throughout her pregnancy on a very minimal and doctor controlled basis. Her child is now 4 years old and can count the highest of all the other kids in his class, as well as easily complete multiple other cognitive functions that are at a high level for his age. He's the smartest and most handsome kid I've ever met!

But I'm NOT a DOCTOR, so please don't go crazy on the pain meds while you are pregnant because from what I know the main issue is that they can come out addicted to the meds. Oxycontin is also more hardcore than norco so the possibility of addiction for the baby could be worse. Then again, they are in essence the same type of medication.

Just ask your doctor if it is okay to continue it on a minimal basis (if possible) and you may also want to get a few different doctors opinions' about it. Seriously though, unless you know in your heart that you have the ability to minimize it's use quite extensively (and the doctor says it's alright!!!), I wouldn't risk it.

Being in pain and pregnant is also a very good thing to see a pain management doctor about.

Last edited by Maksene; 07-07-2006 at 12:10 AM.

Old 07-07-2006, 12:13 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User

but we're men, any advice about the affect on male sperm? I presume these drugs can lower it, but beyond that?

Old 01-21-2009, 12:52 AM   #7
(male)

ecellis HB User

I know this post is pretty old but I was searching for more info on the subject and ran across it.

First off, any man that has been taking narcotic pain medications for more than 6 months should really get blood work done for their testosterone and free testosterone counts. I am currently 36 years old and was born with rhumatoid arthritis. I have been on some type of narcotic pain medication since I was 14. Currently I take up to 6 methadones and up to 2 percocets a day. A couple years ago I started to have some problems. I would get hot flashes, be extreemely lethargic, had NO sex drive what-so-ever, and generally felt bad (other than from my arthritis pain). My mom teased me and said I was going through menopause. Well, I kinda was, except the male version. When I got my testosterone checked I was almost at the level where women should be, I was way below the "LOW" count for men. During the problem I did not get a sperm count but I would have to guess that it was also pretty low. Now I get injections (works a lot better than the gel or patch) and feel a lot better.

As for what the medications actually do to sperm, I asked my doctor today because my wife and I are THINKING about having a kid. My doctor said that the medications should be ok to continue. I asked again and stated that I didn't want to have the prescription version of a crack baby and she still said that it is fine. Personally, I still think that it isn't a very good idea to take the medication while trying to have a kid. If I remember correctly, male sperm lasts up to 3 days before it dies off and more is made (please correct if this is wrong, I might be thinking about how long it can last during its easter egg hunt). I think I am just going to tuff it out and not take the meds for 6 days or so before trying for conception. I'm sure the meds are not anywhere near being gone from my system but at least it wont be as concentrated and hopefully most of the effected sperm has died off.

If anyone has heard other information, please share. I want to give our baby the best chance I can give. I'd rather have to face pain for a while than have my kid face a life-time with some medical problem caused by my medications.

Thanks,
Eric

Closed Thread