It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Men Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2006, 04:37 PM   #1
(male)

calvin8244 HB User
low test. question

I am 28 years old and recently I have not been feeling so well. My symptoms include dizziness and fatigue but my biggest problem is that I can no longer get an errection at all without direct stimulation. I usually can get an errection if I rub but if I stop being stimulated it usually goes away fast, especially if i stand up. I went to the doctor and told him about this and I had alot of routine blood work. Everything came back normal except for my total testosterone level....it came back as 421. It was also the only sex hormone that was testested.

Based on this alone my doctor wants me to have testosterone injections. I plan on talking to him again before I agree to do this though because I have many concerns. Like...

1. I think I read somewhere that if you get testosterone injections that your body will quit producing it naturally and often will become sterile.

2. I think if my testosterone is low..there is a reason for it and I am scared somthing is seriously wrong with me.

Does anyone have any advice, questions or other concerns I should share with my doctor? I am very scared about this. I should also mention that I do not smoke, drink do drugs and I am not taking any medications at all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2006, 05:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hayfarmer HB User
Re: low test. question

You are smart to ask these questions. It is true that if you start taking T replacement of any type, your testicles will shut down and you will become for the most part sterile. Your testicles will atrophy (shrink) and stop making T and sperm. THis is because the pituitary/hypothalmus in your brain will sense that you have enough T and stop sending LH and FSH. LH stimulates the testicles to make T and FSH to make sperm.

Considering your age, your doctor should be ashamed if he did not discuss fertility with you. You need to determine why your T is on the low side of normal. Yours is not really low enough to be considered a problem necessarily but since you are having symptoms of low T it probably is too low for you. Did you have your LH and FSH checked? If LH and FSH are also normal or low then you may have secondary hypogonadism (meaning the pituitary is not sending enough LH for some reason). If LH is high you have primary hypogonadism (meaing your pituitary is sending lots of LH but your testicles can not produce enough T). At your age secondary is much more likely. If it is secondary then you should also have an MRI to rule out several pituitary disorders and have your iron levels checked (iron, ferritin, TIBC and saturation) to rule out hemochromatosis.

Also for secondary HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) is the preferred treatment for young men. HCG is extremely similar to LH and will stimulate your testes to make more T and sperm. They will not atrophy like they would from T replacement.

Here is a link .

[ deleted ]

If you have LH and FSH results and post them I can comment further.

Also, I should say you should have your TSH checked to rule out hypothyroidism which can cause low T and your Vitamin D level checked which can also cause it if too low. Finally the most important check for testosterone is free testosterone. Some people may do fine on your total testosterone level if their free level is high enough. Usually this would apply to young slender men more likely.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 08-18-2006 at 06:13 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread