It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Men Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2006, 05:30 AM   #1

sailorguy917 HB User
can i get a vasectomy at age 21?

i have been reading up a little bit and i am curious if it would be a good idea? i have heard it is a small quick procedure and in most cases most insurance plans help cover some of the costs. the ONLY thing that worries me is when i wanna have kids, the reason i want to get it done is so i dont have to worry about getting my gf pregnant. is there ANY chance of pregnation after the surgey? i am also needing info on the reverse operation and how effective it is...

thanks

Old 08-23-2006, 07:18 AM   #2
(female)

Ausomemom2 HB User
Re: can i get a vasectomy at age 21?

Hi, I can totally understand your fears, but please don't go through something like this at your age. I know how scary it is to think you could accidentally have a child, but it is even scarier to think you might not be able to have children when you want them. My husband and I have 3 boys, and he got a vasectomy earlier this year. He is 34 and I am 27 and we know for sure that we didn't want to have any more children and we put a lot of thought into it before doing it. It was a pretty simple procedure, he was numbed locally and stayed awake during. Afterwards is when things went bad. He had what is called a vagel response (sp?) and passed out, then started vomiting. He threw up for 5 hours straight and had to be transported by ambulance to the E.R. It was very scary, but he had no long term problems from it and the dr thinks it was just his body's response to surgery. Everyone responds differently, and some people vagel out. Yes, there is still a possibility of getting pregnant after a vasectomy, but the chance is slim. There is about a month or two period after the procedure where you still have to wear condoms because it takes a while to get all of the sperm out of your tubes. You have to give the dr 2 specimens on different days (I think at 4 weeks and 8 weeks post op) and they have to be 100% clear of sperm before you have unprotected sex. Even then, unless you KNOW your partner has been tested and cleared of STDs, you shouldn't have unprotected sex, but you know that already. I hope I have given you the information needed to make an informed decision about this, but please do some more research on this. It is a very serious matter and shouldn't be taken lightly. There is a reversal procedure, but I have no experience with that. I don't know what all is involved, how much it costs or how effective it is. The vasectomy only cost us a $20 copay after insurance. Good luck with your decision.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2006, 10:15 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

tommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB User

You have to think of it as permanent. Vasectomy reversals often fail.
Sterilization is not a good form of birth control, if you ever want to have children.

Old 08-23-2006, 02:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

desertdweller HB User

Doctors will NOT perform a vasectomy if you have plans for reversal or even have the smallest desire for children in the future, infact most doctors will not preform a vasectomy at your age even if you are positive you never want children. My uncle got a vasectomy in his early 20's ( he never wanted children) and it took a lot of searching to find a doctor to do it.

Last edited by desertdweller; 08-23-2006 at 03:00 PM.

Old 08-23-2006, 07:32 PM   #5
(male)

Smoothie_Guy HB User

Sailorguy, I have had a vasectomy. I had it done 4 years ago now, I was absolutely certain I never wanted children. You still may want kids in the future from your post, so I have to advise you against it. the procedure is meant to be a permanent form of birth control/sterilization. Most insurance plans cover the broader amount of the operation, but reversals are not covered, and are very expensive with no guarantees for success.

If you have one, there is definitely a risk of getting your girl pregnant, if you don't go through with doctors instructions. I was told to provide two specimens, the first after 20 ejaculations, the second after 15. Once both specimens are declared free of any sperm, the procedure is considered successful. However, recanalization, though rare, does happen. It is when the vas deferens reconnect and sperm are passing through again. For the pain (if any) you and your gf are better off with condoms and birth control pills until you know for sure whether you are agreeable to parenthood. Your only 21, take your time and enjoy life!

Old 08-27-2006, 12:33 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

esrun_yug HB User

I tried at 25 and the doctors wouldn't even talk to me about it, and I rather bluntly, told them that I didn't want kids, (me not wanting and her wanting caused first divorce). Do not think of a vasectomy as a form of birth control, Still use a condom for disease prevention!

Old 08-28-2006, 04:06 PM   #7
(male)

Trevor798 HB User

Hi there bud
its trevor here well at 21 wanting a vasectomy it sounds like ya dont want kids m8 bt ya dont know wot ya missing m8 i wouldnt do it m8 if ya want kids incase it doesnt work out the way you want to talk to ya girl use protection and get her 2 do then ya will know that she wont get pregant bud
hope me info has helped bye 4 now

Old 08-29-2006, 12:41 PM   #8
(male)

Kittydaddy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorguy917
i have been reading up a little bit and i am curious if it would be a good idea? i have heard it is a small quick procedure and in most cases most insurance plans help cover some of the costs. the ONLY thing that worries me is when i wanna have kids, the reason i want to get it done is so i dont have to worry about getting my gf pregnant. is there ANY chance of pregnation after the surgey? i am also needing info on the reverse operation and how effective it is...

thanks
Put her on the pill or use a condom.
Sorry, that's the way it is.To get a Vasectomy at a young age without already having children is a BIG mistake.
I got snipped when I was 38 and had to have my WIFE sign papers.
Your way too young and you will be a completely different person after several years.
If and when you meet someone else, you may want to have kids right away.
What happens now if even reversing this procedure doesn't help?
Hang in there, DON'T DO IT!

Closed Thread