It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Men Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2006, 11:08 AM   #1
(female)

lsm82677 HB User
I need some facts please

My husband thinks he has genital warts-this is news to me. We have been together for almost 11 years and he says that one of his ex-girlfriend's had them but he never thought he had them until now-is this possible? of course he isn't sure that is what it is, he is seeing a doctor today, but can a person have warts for more than 11 years and never see them until now? I would appreciate any kind of information

thanks

Old 09-15-2006, 06:15 PM   #2
(male)

manofthemoment HB User
Re: I need some facts please

Hi there

1st of all try not to jump to any conclusions.I have read in articals that the wart virus can lay dorment in the system for many years.It could be possible that he picked up the virus 11 years ago and its broken out now.Also the virus is highly contagious and can be spread easliy.A person could even use a public toilet and by touching a door knob or button (and the previous user had the virus and had touched himself) there is the chance of it been passed on.It always pays to wash your hands well with soap and running water.

Also once the virus enters the body you have it for life.Sometimes when warts break out (hands ect) they can remain for many years.Usually over a long period of time the body works out (fights off) the virus causing the wart to disappear or fall off , but the main virus is still in the blood stream (hope that makes sense).

Taking into account the virus and general popualtion , its probably about 80% of humans in general have the virus in there system.

Young children can get the virus in playgrounds and have warts but they have not yet become sexually active.

All in all , look at treatments and montioner outbreaks ect.

Hope this can be of some help , and im sure someone with more knowledge on these boards can add to what i have already said.
Regards Manofthemoment.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2006, 06:58 AM   #3
(female)

lsm82677 HB User

thanks for responding-I am glad someone did. I really don't know much about GW but I am pretty sure that I don't have them, I got to the doctor regularly and I have never had any abnormal test results. I read that once a person has the virus that they can give it to anyone without even seeing warts-isn't that right? I just find it hard to believe that after 11 years together and him supposedly having the virus the whole time that I don't have it. do you think it's possible that they are something else?

Last edited by lsm82677; 09-18-2006 at 12:34 PM.

Old 09-18-2006, 02:26 PM   #4
(male)

manofthemoment HB User

Yeh theres always that chance they could be something else altogether.Its best to let the Dr take a look and then work out what treatments to do.

Old 09-18-2006, 03:05 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

sharon7270 HB User

It seems strange to me that the warts would take over 11 years to show up although, the virus does stay in the bloodstream as man of the moment says...but I would look up as much as I could on HPV. Chances are you absolutely do have the virus. It may show up in a pap as abnormal cells and it can resolve itself, but you need to make sure you absolutely go to the doctor for your annuals.

Old 09-19-2006, 05:03 AM   #6
(female)

lsm82677 HB User

I do get yearlys-all the time. I am going for my next one in November. That is why I am having such a hard time with this I guess...because I just don't believe it. I have never gotten abnormal results from a pap.

I appreciate everyone's feedback. thanks

Old 09-20-2006, 05:25 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

ethera HB User

Contracting the virus by any other means than sexual contact is news to me.

Also, people keep saying how, once a person is infected, the virus clears itself after a couple of years in most cases ( I guess meaning only that the body's immune system supresses it and its symptoms )...now I hear [again] that it can lay dormant and then show up 11 years later.

Old 09-20-2006, 11:35 AM   #8
(female)

shannonbarie HB User

It depends on the virus as to contractability, how long it stays with a person, and if the person shows symptoms and how long it takes for symptoms to show up, not to mention the fact it also depends on the person and their immune system. A person can have a virus and show no signs or symptoms of it, that means they are a carrier of it.

Long story short, if there is concern go see a doctor. Only they can officially diagnose these types of problems.

Old 09-20-2006, 11:06 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

ethera HB User

I don't see HPV as a major concern to one's own health ( except for strains that cause C.C. in females, also for which there is now a vaccine available, most effective I'm sure if gotten before any risk/infection ) but I don't think anyone likes the idea of being "contageous", "infectious". I sure don't.

It seems like much more of a deal-breaker than an ice-breaker. It's a liability I could do without. I guess it's not as bad if you are someone who can "overcome"/capitalize on their "assets".

Last edited by ethera; 09-22-2006 at 12:44 AM.

Closed Thread