It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Men Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2007, 09:54 AM   #1
(male)

Cosity HB User
Artificial Testicle

Hello,

I'm 20 years old. I had a twisted testicle when i was 11 or 12. I've always been shy about problems let alone things of that sensitive nature. It twisted and I was in excruciating pain, one that i wouldnt wish even on my enemies. I lasted in a painful sweat all night into the next day without sleep not telling anyone. The next couple of days were so painful to walk. I lasted about 4 days before it grew the size of a ripe apple. I was obligated to mention it at that point.

I learned later that I had a twisted testicle, that it died and needed to be removed. I went through my teen years with only one, which i'll tell you in todays society nearly killed me. I blame that event for much of the reason I don't value life today.

I'm going though very rough times now. I would like to have a procedure to have an artificial testicle. I believe this will solve much of the dissonance deep within me. After the procedure I plan to move far away where no one knows me, go by my middle name. Start fresh sort of speak. Its not easy living being ashamed of the person you are. I used to be so reserved and kind, but the paranoia of someone bringing up an insecurity has turned me into a monster. I'm so quick to fight or threaten someone if I even think they are trying to make me feel down. I don't want to be that person.

The problem is, I don't have health insurance, I don't know if they'd cover it anyway. But I have no idea how much it costs to have this procedure. I'd pay through the nose and i'd give up all that I own for it. I understand the need to be ok with yourself before getting this procedure. But I think this case is special. This is a symbol that will right a lot of wrong inside of me.

Any information by people who have had this procedure before or know someone who has would be greatly appreciated, especially regarding the financial side of this operation.

Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2007, 11:31 AM   #2
(male)

Believer63 HB User
Re: Artificial Testicle

You need to think this through before you do this. I know guys who have had terrible problems with prosthetic testicles. It is not an easy operation because they have to sew it into the bottom of the inside of your scrotum. I also live with just one testicle due to testicular cancer and although I'm much older than you, the doctors always discouraged me to get one because of the complications. The percentage of infections and other problems is very high..... However, if this is so important to you, then I suggest you visit a Urologist. Insurance would normally not pay for it if it is not "clinically necessary", but only the Urologist would know. I'm sure it's not cheap. Anyway, good luck and post the outcome of your decision!

Old 09-25-2007, 01:28 PM   #3
(male)

Cosity HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Believer63 View Post
You need to think this through before you do this. I know guys who have had terrible problems with prosthetic testicles. It is not an easy operation because they have to sew it into the bottom of the inside of your scrotum. I also live with just one testicle due to testicular cancer and although I'm much older than you, the doctors always discouraged me to get one because of the complications. The percentage of infections and other problems is very high..... However, if this is so important to you, then I suggest you visit a Urologist. Insurance would normally not pay for it if it is not "clinically necessary", but only the Urologist would know. I'm sure it's not cheap. Anyway, good luck and post the outcome of your decision!
Thanks for the reply believer. I've found some further information.

There is a type of implant made of saline wrapped in a silicon casing. Initial studies have shown only 1 in 30 patients require additional surgery within the first year of the surgery, and many risk factors including infection and rejection by the body were less than 2% with this type of procedure. I was happy to hear that as I didn't like the idea of having complications. I hadent even considered it actually.

The procedure itself takes less than an hour, sometimes only a half hour. And I was very happy to hear the average cost is only about $3000 depending where you get it. I very willing to pay that.

I'm thinking my next step is to see a urologist. I know of one close by who is suppose to be very good. He did my surgery when I was 11. I woke him up at 3am, hope he didn't mind :x

My problem is, without health insurance, how much would it be to have an initial meeting with him? Can I even see him without insurance? I wouldn't mind paying for one visit for information.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:00 AM   #4
(male)

Believer63 HB User

Cosity, glad to hear the implant is not so costly. I imagine the incision is similar to that of the removal process. The saline implants were the ones I was told about (I only had my testicle removed last month) but if you feel confident about it, then I hope it works out for you. As for the consultation fee, it depends on the city and the doctor. But usually, a consultation fee can run anywhere from $125 - $275. Some urologists will perform an ultrasound right in their office (for whatever reason) and that can cost upwards of $500 extra. Of course, you will need lab work before any procedure, so you need to factor that into the cost. The price on lab work is subject to the tests performed so it's difficult to determine, but figure a couple of hundred for those......

Old 09-26-2007, 08:35 AM   #5
(male)

Cosity HB User

Thanks for the reply believer.

Actually I was hoping just for an initial consultation explaining everything straight from the urologist. I don't want any tests done right then and there, just a brief meeting with him to map out how the process would go and what kind of cash I need to have etc. Perhaps i'll give his office a call.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:33 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

SpunkyStuart HB User

I am surprised that you were not offered the chance of a replacement when you were much younger, which would have helped you to get through your teens. But that is too late, so I think you are doing the right thing by looking into it now. Your later posts sound much more positive than your first post, which I felt was very sad and it is a great shame that something like this has affected your growing up so much.

I would have thought that an initial consultation with a urologist would not be that much, and they may even wrap it up as part of the eventual procedure. If you are still in contact with the guy who you saw when you were younger then he should remember this, and maybe he will discount the fee because of this.

I also hope that when you get this done that you can feel whole again, and begin to put your life back on a great footing. Do bear in mind that you are perfectly fertile with just one testicle, and you are not any less a man because you lost one.

I wish you the best of luck

Old 09-27-2007, 10:26 AM   #7
(male)

Believer63 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpunkyStuart View Post
Do bear in mind that you are perfectly fertile with just one testicle, and you are not any less a man because you lost one.
Hear, Hear Spunky! Very well put and very true indeed!!!

Old 10-03-2007, 02:41 AM   #8
(male)

Pillbox HB User

Well I was just browsing down the list and seen this. I can't say how it would feel with having only one testicle, but Imho why would you get an artificial? You have lived with it this long, and if some girl doesn't take you for who you are to heck with her man. All I'm saying is you couldn't prevent what happened to you but you are still moving forward dude. Just my 0.02 cents

And whatever you decide I wish you the best of luck, you guys missing a jewel are some strong dudes.

Last edited by Pillbox; 10-03-2007 at 02:42 AM.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:34 AM   #9
(male)

Believer63 HB User

Well put Pillbox.... I live with one today and it has not affected me at all - granted I've been married 20 years so I've not been in the "dating scene" for two decades and my wife is fully supportive. But like you said, if a girl has a problem with it, then good riddens because having just one does not affect any sexual functions or sperm count since the sperm is produced in the prostate, not in the testicles.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:16 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

Cosity, I'm really sorry for what you may have gone through that caused you to be so ashamed of having only one testicle (did guys make jokes in gym or something?) but honest to god, it would never occur to me to think any differently about a guy with one. It would probably take about a minute of my thoughs, basically: "really? what happened? wow". Either way, implant or not, I hope you can feel better about it.

(btw, sperm is produced in the testicles not the prostate, but since you still have one you should be good to go in that department, if that's even a concern of yours.)

Old 10-04-2007, 03:41 PM   #11
(male)

Cosity HB User

I understand your takes guys and I appreciate the support

However I do have to disagree about the one is just as good as two. Sure it doesnt make a physical difference, I can still father a child...but the argument that a female should not be bothered by it, and if she is then she is shallow, is wrong.

She can be bothered by it whether she cares or not, your mind does not give you the choice. She may hide the fact that she doesnt like it because she feels that its wrong to think that way, but that doesn't mean its not effecting things. And moreover as we learn in psychology, things that effect most are a majority of things that work on the subconscious level. She may not even know it is bothering her.

The mind is a beautiful thing. Sometimes doctors can cure sickness in people by giving them placebo pills to trick them into thinking they are medicated. And there are true, real results even though physically nothing has changed. Sure nothing physically will change in me with this procedure except i'll look more normal and closer to the unachievable perfect. But it will effect my mindset and that of my partner later on.

and also, it will be easier to tell a partner about it if I don't have to kill the mood the first time we have sex by halting everything to explain to her I have one testicle. Sure I could tell her before we even think about sex, but how would that come off? how would I know when to say it? If we have sex a few times first and she doesnt notice then she can see nothing is different and it would probably easier to accept both consciously and subconsciously.

Last edited by Cosity; 10-04-2007 at 03:47 PM.

Old 10-06-2007, 02:09 AM   #12
(male)

Pillbox HB User

Well first off telling your partner that you only have one jewel would be hard, hard for anybody. Here goes my 4 cents , Anyways if I liked a girl right off the bat I would tell her as soon as possible. I know thats easier said than done! I would personally just suck it up and throw it out at the beginning. You will be able to tell right then and there what kind of person you are dealing with, instead of dragging it on down the road and giving her a suprise and the whole deal turning bad

Second you state "things that effect most are a majority of things that work on the subconscious level. She may not even know it is bothering her." Ok I don't know much about artificial jewels, are they so life like no one can tell the difference? Either way if they are or are not I'm assuming that sooner or later the other half will know the deal? There is still a pretty good chance this will effect your partner on some level, either you not having one or telling her you have an artificial.

Just another one of my takes on it! Either way though sir it is your life and your jewel I wish for the best and keep us posted how everything goes.

Old 10-06-2007, 02:45 PM   #13
(male)

Cosity HB User

From what I understand Pill, no artificial ones are not so lifelike she could see and touch it without at least being suspicious. The scars would give it away anyway. But usually the first couple times with a person, at least for me, they arent exactly trying to get to know it in detail Lets be honest, male genitalia arent the prettiest sites to see. So I figure I could get away with it a few times.

The point I forgot to include was that the longer you know somebody, the less that each new detail they learn about you phases them. They say first impressions are important, and they are because we try and draw conclusions off people based on the information we are given or perceive about them. At the time of just meeting someone, any information a person gets will be all that they have to draw those conclusions or guesses to what you are all about. So it's important to present your better qualities But in the case of only having one testicle, I would like to hold off on that information until she learns enough about me so that its not a dominating piece of info about me as it would be early on in a relationship. Whether she minds it or not, I don't want it to be weighed in heavy when it can be lighter with time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillbox View Post
Well first off telling your partner that you only have one jewel would be hard, hard for anybody. Here goes my 4 cents , Anyways if I liked a girl right off the bat I would tell her as soon as possible. I know thats easier said than done! I would personally just suck it up and throw it out at the beginning. You will be able to tell right then and there what kind of person you are dealing with, instead of dragging it on down the road and giving her a suprise and the whole deal turning bad

Second you state "things that effect most are a majority of things that work on the subconscious level. She may not even know it is bothering her." Ok I don't know much about artificial jewels, are they so life like no one can tell the difference? Either way if they are or are not I'm assuming that sooner or later the other half will know the deal? There is still a pretty good chance this will effect your partner on some level, either you not having one or telling her you have an artificial.

Just another one of my takes on it! Either way though sir it is your life and your jewel I wish for the best and keep us posted how everything goes.

Old 10-07-2007, 02:17 AM   #14
(male)

Pillbox HB User

Ah I see where you are coming from sir, really nice argument. Now that I read your reply I would have to agree with you 100%. I didn't look at it this way. As for getting away with it a few times, I see your point here, but I don't think I would risk that. I wouldn't wanna see a good relationship go bad because she found out about it the hard way. It might put her in shock if you don't tell her up front

But good arguments very valid arguments So when do you think you will have this done?

Old 10-07-2007, 05:26 PM   #15
(male)

Cosity HB User

I'm just recovering from the flu actually so I havent contacted the doctor just yet. I will find time either this coming week or the next. Once I schedule the consultation, it will really depend on how that goes and what kind of price i'm given. I should schedule the actual procedure within the next few weeks. I'll keep you posted after the initial consultation.

Closed Thread