It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Men Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2008, 01:24 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

joe18503 HB User
Anorgasmia -- Effexor

I have been prescribed 300 mg/day Effexor, an SNRI antidepressant. I am unable to ejaculate (or reach orgasm). I read that Wellbutrin is prescribed sometimes to counteract the sexual side effects of Effexor. Is Wellbutrin effective for this purpose? Would Wellbutrin be contraindicated with Effexor at my dose level of Effexor? I read that gingko biloba, an herbal remedy, can be effective in counteracting the sexual side effects of Effexor, but it was ineffective for me and exacerbated my insomnia. Also, if I were to take Wellbutrin to counteract the sexual side effects of the Effexor would it make my insomnia worse?

I like the therapeutic effects I get from Effexor and don't want to stop taking it, but the sexual side effects are a serious problem for me.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User
Re: Anorgasmia -- Effexor

Although very expensive, if you have insurance and get it approved, there is another antidepressant that is being used a lot that does not cause withdrawal symptoms to switch over to it. I think it is called Prestige or Prestiek. My psychiatrist was trying to get me to consider switching over to it and told me it has virtually none of the side effects caused by Effexor. I don't personally know if it is true or not, but that is what he told me. Effexor does affect sexual drive or orgasmic features in many users. I don't know if the Wellbutrin helps with that, so can't give you any advice. Put in a call to your doctor about it or ask for an appointment if it is interfering with your life.
Mim Gregg

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2008, 12:05 PM   #3
(female)

Arggg HB UserArggg HB UserArggg HB User

I had the same problem with an SSRI and I changed drugs. That kind of side effect drives you NUTS. I was able to find a medication that didn't have that side effect.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:57 PM   #4
(female)

waratah HB User

Hi joe18503,

I also take 300mg of Effexor daily and am very nearly anorgasmic too. When I do reach orgasam, it's well worth the journey, but the Effexor has definitely affected my sexual response. I thought that this problem existed with ALL Ad's whether they're SSRI's, SNRI', MAOI's or Trycyclic - all affect sexual response. i think it's got someting to do with the area of the brain affected by Ad's, or how serotonin is used by the brain.

Something to consider before you may begin thinking about switching to another Ad.

Regards, waratah

Old 10-13-2008, 11:42 AM   #5
(female)

imtupp HB User

Wellbutrin Xl-300 has recently been added to my Effexor XR-225. Wellbutrin suppliments dopamine, while Effexor works on serittonin.

I felt immediately better upon starting it. I have expirienced sexual euphoria since starting this med. I haven't felt that in many many years.

I'm now having a lot of weird things happen (check thread in Anemia "what do ya think"

My blood was drawn Friday so results should be in soon. I suspect I may have percosius (sp?) anemia, they are also checking to see if the Wellbutrin is causing all the symptoms. I really hope not as mentally I feel better, it's just all this other crap I'm dealing with.

I WOULD DEFINITELY GIVE WELLBUTRIN A WHIRL. IMO.

Good Luck,
tup

Closed Thread