It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Men Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2008, 03:53 AM   #1
(female)

mjlohr HB User
Can a vasectomy reduce a man's libido?

My husband is 37 and I am 35. We have been married 10 years and have 2 kids. In April of 2004, he had a vasectomy. He used to be a sex maniac and sex was great. Recently though he's had a severe decrease in sex drive. He wants it, but can't perform. I get depressed about it because I think he isn't attractive to me anymore. We used to have sex any time we had the opportunity. Even 8 or 9 years into our marriage but it seemed to all of a sudden stop. He said that since he has had the vasectomy sex doesn't feel the same but that was 5 years ago. Can it all of a sudden decrease his libido? When I get depressed about it he tells me to never worry because he thinks I'm very sexy. But I just can't help it. He always reassures me that it isn't me but it's just very hard for me. I think he is getting sexually tired of me and wants someone else. Can you please help me understand? Thank you. Mary

Old 12-31-2008, 11:09 AM   #2
(male)

JohnMack HB User
Re: Can a vasectomy reduce a man's libido?

I had the same surgery when I was 30 yrs I am now 63.The surgery only stops sperm
going into the ejaculate.I think he should go to his urologist for a check up.He will
be just like he was before

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2008, 07:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Magnetic HB UserMagnetic HB User
Re: Can a vasectomy reduce a man's libido?

Some men do report issues such as these. In theory, of course, the previous poster is correct, but some men do report a reduction of sensitivity or of the intensity of their orgasms. For some, there might be mental issues of them being less a man since they have been "fixed", but problems are reported by men who were glad to have the operation, thinking it would free them from condoms or having to pull out at the last second. I don't know what it is, but it is real. I have heard cases where following a vasectomy ejaculations were sometimes accompanied with hardly any feelings of orgasm.

I don't think your belief that his problems are because he doesn't find you sexually attractive anymore is helping him, either. Encourage him to consult with a urologist just to rule out other physical causee, but please don't place blame on him. He is probably frustrated by it and it is difficult to get interested in sex if you don't feel anything and your spouse hassels you about it when you can't perform like you used to. That said, I understand your own frustration and I hope you can work out something where you can get the sex you need and he is able to provide it, even if he can't fully enjoy it like he used to.

Closed Thread