It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Men Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2009, 09:25 AM   #1
(male)

Ororiv HB User
Waiting for circumcision to cure phimosis

Hi. I'm a 23 yr old male suffering from phimosis (non-retractable foreskin). I've been to doctors and urologists and have been on a circumcision waiting list for about seven months which is something I'm not happy about. I believe that people who require a circumcision for a medical reason should be a higher priority than people who get it done for cosmetic or cultural reasons. When I needed to get my wisdom teeth removed I only had to wait a fortnight. I'm a little worried and I just have a few routine questions.

1. How long will I be on this waiting list? I'm located in Ireland and I once read a newspaper report that said many men have been waiting over a year for their circumcision. I find this unacceptable and highly frustrating.

2. Is it normal to experience cutting and tearing of the foreskin with phimosis? This wasn't a problem in the past but sex was uncomfortable. The last time I had sex, the foreskin bled a bit and I've been avoiding sex since as it has become uncomfortable and painful. I fear that these minor cuts have become infected because I see whitish scar tissue around the foreskin from time to time. Which leads into the next question...

3. Is it possible that regular phimosis can develop into the BXO (Balanitis xerotica obliterans) variety of phimosis? I ask because the white scar tissue seems consistent with the Wiki description of this. My situation seems to be getting gradually worse. Would visiting a urologist push me up the waiting list because I fear permanent damage if I don't get circumcised soon?

And finally...

4. How might my circumcision effect my sex life?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 03-07-2009 at 11:44 AM. Reason: No surveys. Question rephrased.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2009, 07:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

tommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB User
Re: Waiting for circumcision to cure phimosis

There are reasons for circumcision. They include gangrene and frostbite.
Circumcision does not cure BXO, so even if you have BXO, circumcision is no guarantee.
Treating with steroids leaves the foreskin intact, and has a better success rate.
When women get the equivalent of BXO, LSA, no one removes any part of their genitalia.
It might be BXO. It might also be simple vitiligo, loss of pigment, which is usually harmless. You could find out for sure, by visiting a dermatologist.
The tearing you are experiencing is normal, when you have a yeast infection. Yeast infections, if allowed to become chronic, cause phimosis. The yeast causes the skin to tear. When it heals, it heals as scar tissue, which is less elastic than skin. If you cure the yeast infection, you can stretch the foreskin until you can retract. Canesten is the usual treatment for a yeast infection.
Circumcision typically removes 50% or more of the skin of a penis. It either removes or damages the two most erotically responsive parts, the inner foreskin and frenulum. There is nothing which circumcision fixes, which can't be fixed by gentler methods, except gangrene and frostbite.
Here is some good information on fixing phimosis, by daily gentle stretching, with your fingers. It is well worth the effort.
In case the cut and paste doesn't work, this info is in a sticky at the top of Men's Health, called stretching a tight foreskin. Best of luck with this.

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=178155[/url]

Last edited by tommy124; 03-08-2009 at 07:17 PM. Reason: add the Men's Health reference

Closed Thread