It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Men Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2010, 05:29 PM   #1
(male)

VeryCurious2010 HB User
Red Itchy Penis & Foreskin

I was worried that I was exposed to Herpes despite the fact that my partner at the time specifically said she does not and has not had any STD's/STI's. I've gone to numerous walk in clinics (all except one were sexual health clinics), but the symptoms typically dissappear within hours of noticing them and washing the affected area. I'm a little more at east now than I was before but I'm still wondering what could be causing my problems and how to treat it so it doesn't come back again.

I'm a 30 year old male and on October 30th of 2009 I had a date with someone who I'd talked to numerous times and gone out with a couple of times. Things became a little intimate and we were fooling around and naked. I did receive oral sex from her and she climbed on top of me to kiss me, holding my hands above my head while she was kissing me she took me inside of her partially (although she denies I was inside of her). Immediately I freaked out and pushed her off of me and said she should not have done that. I had no reason to believe she had herpes but that was my concern right away. When asking her about having Herpes (HSV-1 or HSV-2), she became defensive and said she did not and has only had 2 partners in all of her life (her previous husband and someone she dated for a period of time). I told her that I do not have sex without a condom and that I had condoms with me since you can't be too safe. (To elaborate on this, I have but it was with girlfriends who I had been dating for 3-6 years). I quickly got dressed and left her place and drove home, worried the whole time and arriving home about an hour later.

I got home and washed my penis with soap and water, not noticing anything but still concerned. I continued to watch and monitor the area for weeks not noticing anything and washing every so often. Since then I have noticed the following things and have been documenting them ever since. I would like to add that until this encounter I would rarely pull back the foreskin on my penis to inspect or wash (maybe 5 or 6 times in my entire life).

November 28 - Late Afternoon
Itching sensation, scratched and immediately checked. Jumped in the shower and saw redness on the top of the head of the penis and on the inside of the foreskin where it meets the head of the penis. Washed and in about an hour or an hour and a half everything seemed fine. Still worried and called Telehealth, they were not sure but did not believe it was anything to be concerned about.

November 29 - Went to Walk-In Clinic near home first thing in the morning
Doctor there seemed as if I was just bothering her, took a very quick look and said it was nothing, that she'd seen many STD/STI's before and that I did not have one.

November 30 - Went to sexual health clinic #1
Was seen by an intern (I believe), and described everything to him. He took a look to see if there was anything visible and did not see anything to be of concern about. He consulted with another Nurse or Doctor who also said it was nothing to be concerned about.

December 21 or 22 - Went to sexual health clinic #2
Described what happend and my concerns, he wondered why I was immediately worried about herpes after the encounter, I could not say other than I was. He asked numerous questions and then visually inspected and said there was nothing to be concerned about, that it could possibly have been yeast. Advised to clean the area with mild soap and water and to keep it as dry as possible, provided a pamphlet on Yeast.

December 27 - Around 11am
Had more itching with redness. Again went and showered and cleaned the area and withing an hour or 2 things were fine again. Immediately after washing the itching is gone. For the 2 or 3 days leading up to this I did not wash or inspect the area.

December 31 - About 4pm
Noticed 4 tiny little bumps, spread out and not side by side at all. No itching. Washed and bumps were not visible a few hours later.

January 4 - Went to sexual health clinic #1 again
Described what has happend since I've been worried, no visual inspection of area done since no symptoms were present. Explained that at sexual health clinic #2 the person who I spoke to and saw me there mentioned it could be Yeast. She said it was possible but with no discharge there is no way to check/test for it. Asked if I should try to treat for it anyways and she suggested not treating since we don't know what it could actually be, this way we don't cause other issues. Also advised that if it happens again to have it looked at.

January 7 - First Thing In The Morning
Noticed a little bump on the left side and right side of the head, like a pin *****. No itching or pain. Washed and about 2 hours later things seemed fine.

January 9 - About 5:30pm
Noticed a dark red bump near the bulb (back of my penis) when pulling back the foreskin (almost like a single pin ***** or like an ingrown hair). No itching or pain. Monitored it for the next hour to see if it improved and showered an hour later which seemed to make it get a little better while in the shower but then after the shower it was the same. Does not hurt and is not itchy but does feel a little more sensitive than the area around it. With foreskin in place touching the penis I do not feel a thing. A few hours later it was looking better but red spot is still visible.

January 10 - Morning
Still a little red or pink but looking much better than when found initially. I have taken a picture of the area to document since it seems that whenever I'm able to go to a clinic to have them look everything is fine.

I plan on monitoring it and seeing what happens over the course of the next 24 hours and if the red bump is still there I will go to the clinic to have them look once again.

January 11
I wanted to add that I went to the clinic today after all despite the fact that the red bump I noticed on Saturday is pretty much gone.

I explained everything above to the doctor (or was it nurse), in the clinic and showed her what I looked like right now and her response was that I had nothing to be concerned about. She said that if it was an STD the symptoms would stay and not go away so quickly after washing. I pointed out the area on the top of the head of my penis saying that was the area that I had the first "rash" on and she was able to notice that it too was slightly pink still.

All in all she said that things look normal there and I should not worry. I want to believe her and am going to do my best to believe her but a little part of me still can't help but wonder and worry since I've never had this happen before (but in all fairness until that encounter I never really inspected myself down there other than taking a quick look here and there and definitely not so closely as I am now). She did provide me with some Canesten but advised me not to use it unless the symptoms come back.

January 15 - First Thing In The Morning
Noticed red areas around the exposed part of the head of my penis. Pulled back the foreskin to investigate and found other red, slightly itchy areas with another bright red dot. I jumped in the shower and washed and the spot seemed to get better and the itchiness was gone about an hour later. Checked about 2 and a half hours later and the area that had the bright red spot is gone but there is still slight pink on different areas of the head of the penis.

January 16 - 2:30 in the morning
Decided that I have had enough of this worrying and figured I would try the Canesten the doctor gave me despite the fact that the redness and itching are no longer present. Based on my research I've read that I should apply it at least twice a day for 2 weeks. To apply I pull back the foreskin and put it on the head of my penis as well as the inside of the foreskin before letting the foreskin slide back in place.

Any ideas what this could be or what could be causing this? I'm worried and concerned as I've always been very careful with picking my partners and my sexual health although until my "scare" I did not pull back the foreskin and wash my penis as things were always fine. Could I have actually caused this problem myself by over washing and inspecting the area? I also worry about thinking that things are fine only to have another relapse later or even worse, pass on whatever this is to a future partner or wife.

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by VeryCurious2010; 01-19-2010 at 05:37 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to VeryCurious2010 For This Useful Post:
marioa (03-24-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2010, 04:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Fles HB UserFles HB UserFles HB UserFles HB UserFles HB UserFles HB UserFles HB UserFles HB UserFles HB UserFles HB UserFles HB User
Re: Red Itchy Penis & Foreskin

Chill out. Several health professionals have examined you and said you have nothing to worry about. You need to stop obsessing.

Use the Canesten for two or more weeks in the way you have described. See what happens.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

tommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB User

She needs to be treated with Canesten at the same time. Otherwise, you will simply pass the yeast infection back and forth.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:54 PM   #4
(male)

VeryCurious2010 HB User

January 23 - First thing in the morning
Every so often right around the urethra opening and the exposed skin surrounding it I think it's slightly red, brighter than the rest of the head. It doesn't itch or bother me and doesn't really concern me but I wish I knew if that was normal too, I don't ever remember seeing it like that in the past but in all honesty I'm forgetting/having trouble remembering what it looked like before.

February 7
I've been pulling back the foreskin and washing with water only in the morning every day and treating with Canesten Topical Cream (1% Clotrimazole) 2 - 3 times a day and have no experienced any of the itching in the last 3 weeks and a few days. Currently I still have the red/dark pink area on the top of the head of my penis (only visible when pulling
back the foreskin all the way), and I believe some redness around the opening to the urethra. Currently I don't have a regular doctor at the moment and still won't for a few weeks and any clinics I've gone to have been Sexual Health clinics which advised me that the problem is not an STD. I don't ever recall this redness ever happening before since all of this so I've continued to research the problem. Most things I've read seem to point to Yeast, Balanitis, Eczema or Psoriasis while the doctors at the clinics have said it's nothing to worry about or that it was most likely yeast. I've decided to start treating with Cortate (Hydrocortisone Cream USP 0.5%) to see if I would have any sort of improvement with the redness but have only applied it twice (once on Thursday and another today). The package states that it should be applied to the affected area 3 - 4 times a day but does not specify for how long. I'm still concerned but have been less
concerned since seeing the last doctor who was extremely confident that it was not an STD but I still want to know what it is, why or how it happend and of course how to get rid of it and am hoping to have an answer for that very soon. If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Fles HB UserFles HB UserFles HB UserFles HB UserFles HB UserFles HB UserFles HB UserFles HB UserFles HB UserFles HB UserFles HB User

I often notice a bit of redness around the urethral opening (or meatus). It could result from diet or other innocuous cause. It doesn't worry me. I also have some redness on the skin just below the corona, only visible when I pull back my foreskin. Again, it doesn't worry me.

If your doctor has prescribed hydrocortisone cream, be sure to follow his instructions for its use. If you haven't consulted a doctor about using hydrocortisone, be wary of using it.

You have done the right thing by seeking professional advice. You are also doing the right thing in washing under your foreskin with water and using the Canesten. From what you have described, I really don't think you have anything to be concerned about.

My best wishes.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:09 AM   #6
(male)

VeryCurious2010 HB User

Thanks Fles. I actually treated with Canesten for just over 3 weeks and the redness is still there, sometimes it's more visible than others. I would say the area that is of most concern is the part on the top of the head of the penis (the part visible only when pulling back the foreskin) It's area is probably that of a dime, maybe a quarter. It always seems that whenever I've gone to the doctor the colour is nowhere near as bad as it has been. Hopefully the new doctor I'll have in about 2 weeks will be able to help me sort it out.

As far as the hydracortisone, is there any particular reason to staying away from it? The doctor isn't the one that prescribed using it, I just started using it based on my research.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:05 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hey VeryCurious2010

You need to do some solid research on hydrocortisone. It should not be used for more than seven days without consulting a doctor.

Some of the comments I have found about hydrocortisone are:
  • it may cause side effects
  • follow the directions on the label carefully
  • use hydrocortisone exactly as directed
  • do not use more or less of it or use it more often than prescribed by your doctor
  • If you obtained it without a prescription and your condition does not improve within 7 days, stop using it and call your doctor
  • call your doctor if any area treated with hydrocortisone gets worse or if redness, swelling, or oozing of pus develops
  • Avoid prolonged use in the genital and rectal areas and in skin creases unless directed to do so by your doctor

This is serious stuff. Hydrocortisone should not be treated lightly and, in my considered opinion, should not be used without a doctor's advice.

As I said earlier, you are doing the right thing in all respects. I do not think you need to use hydrocortisone. Never use it for more than seven days.

Dude, I know you will get over this. Don't resort to drastic measures. Chill out, enjoy your gf if you have one and please be careful with any and all medication.

My best wishes

Fles

Old 02-10-2010, 05:24 AM   #8
(male)

VeryCurious2010 HB User

Hey Fles,

Thank you for the response, I really do appreciate it. You did give me a bit of info that I wasn't aware of and that's the treating for more than 7 days with hydrocortisone, the package with the cream I got didn't say anything about how long to treat for but said that I could apply it 3 to 4 times a day and neither of the packages I have for the Canesten or Hydrocortisone say for how long to treat for exactly.

I have a meet and greet with what will be my new doctor next week on the 17th but that is just for an introduction, from what they have told me it won't be for him to look at any symptoms which is unfortunate. I've been waiting for an actual doctors appointment for a month and a half since whenever I've gone to a walk-in clinic they've just said that I'm fine/it's normal, etc.

The concern is because I really don't remember ever having this redness on the top of the head, it was always smooth like the rest of the head. It doesn't provide any discomfort at all now but it's in my head that it's there and it's not normal you know? I also of course worry about what it could be and if it's something that could be passed along to a perspective partner later on down the road.

I did treat with Canesten for 23 days, at least 2 times a day but 9/10 times it was applied it 3 times. As I previously mentioned, I am also washing with just water as I'd been advised to (before all of this happend, for 30 years I had never washed other than the odd time and there were never any problems which is probably why this is also concerning me you know?).

I'm really curious to know what is going on and what caused it, that's my wonder and worry I guess. Also, I'm wondering if after the 7 days of using the creams if I should just stop completely or should I start to use the Canesten cream again until I get an actual appointment with a doctor to see him?

It's funny you mention the girlfriend thing because with the year I had last year I'd told myself that I was not going to get into a relationship and just take time for me, to figure out some things for myself and make sure that whatever this is that's going on with me is all sorted out and now suddenly I find myself with a perspective relationship and love interest.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:30 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hey again VeryCurious

Yeah, I can understand your worry and your concern. When you meet the new doctor, even if it's not for a formal examination, you can at least express your concern and describe the situation. Play it by ear and see how it goes.

Hydrocortisone is a steroid and that's why it should be used very carefully. Canesten is usually ok. I've used Canesten many times for persistent "jock itch" on the inner thigh near my testicles and I've applied it twice a day for periods of up to four weeks at a time. I've also used Hydrozole (which is a combination of hydrocortisone and clotrimazole) for the same reason. It was prescribed by my doctor. The instructions for Hydrozole are: use it only twice a day for no more than seven days, then use a clotrimazole cream (like Canesten) for three to four weeks.

About the red patch on your penis head: it's a mystery. Perhaps your exposed penis came into contact with something without your being aware of it. For example I know a guy who cleaned his shower with some detergent while he was naked and accidentally got some on his glans. It produced an allergic reaction which worried him of course. After he realised what must have happened, he felt more at ease.

It's good to know that you are looking forward to a possible new relationship. My best wishes for its success.

Mate, you will will overcome these health difficulties and your life will get back to normal; that is, if anyone's life can be described as "normal"

Old 02-10-2010, 08:01 PM   #10
(male)

VeryCurious2010 HB User

Hey Fles,

Yes, I'm hoping that the new doctor will be at least open to hearing my concern on the initial visit and I'm really hoping that they will be able to take a look while I'm there and give me their opinion.

Based on what you're saying I will continue with the hydrocortisone but will make sure I don't go past the seven days as you'd mentioned. After that I think I'll stop with everything but washing with water and see what happens. I still find it very strange since this has never happend before and I know the penis head didn't look like that before all of this.

It is very possible that in my initial worry I introduced something to the area that was not initially there but I guess now the concern is why hasn't it gone away after all this time? I've also began to wonder if the washing (which happens at least once a day but sometimes twice), and treatment could actually be causing the area not to get any better. I can definitely tell the red area isn't as smooth as the rest of the skin but it's not anymore sensitive than the surrounding areas.

Really I'd just like to go back to how things were before where I didn't have to worry about it and my penis was just there for whatever I needed it for instead of this constant concern/wondering you know?

Old 02-12-2010, 06:57 AM   #11
(male)

VeryCurious2010 HB User

Hey Fles,

I have another question for you although I've read this can be somewhat normal. So that area that I've been concerned about seems to get brighter red whenever masturbating or having sex. I know in the past it would be red after masturbating but would usually go back to it's normal (as I've been describing above). I had sex for the first time in the last 3 months last night and again this morning and rinsed myself off with just water afterwards. The reason for writing now I guess is that after about 3 hours I'm finding the area is still really red. I don't have any itching or anything and it's not any different than it has been just more red. It's been about 3 hours or so since so there is a good chance that it's just taking some time and I will keep an eye on it but one thing which I've found interesting and I don't know why I didn't think of posting this before is that the area that's red is only under where the foreskin actually touches the head of the penis. I'm sure you know what I mean when I say there is that area near the urethra that doesn't have the skin touching it and that is the same as it was before. I was going to take a picture this morning as I've been trying my best to document these things so I have a record but my camera was in the car and cold so it was all fogged up and impossible to take a picture.

Thanks again in advance for your help!

Old 02-12-2010, 07:24 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

tommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB User

It just means increased blood flow. It will go back to normal, when your penis calms down a bit.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:30 AM   #13
(male)

VeryCurious2010 HB User

Hi tommy124,

I would have thought 5 hours would have been plenty of time for it to go back to normal though, no? I've been checking it throughout the day and a few spots are better and back to how it was before while the rest is the same.

I did some "exploring" and found that the area that is red is a little more sensitive than the rest but not painful or with bumps or anything. It does look rougher for lack of better wording but it it's nothing that I haven't seen or experienced already.

I plan on going to a walk in clinic in about an hour and a half just so they can actually see it while it's going on and perhaps give their opinion again. I believe the last doctor I saw at the clinic but it's still that "wanting to know what it is and make it normal again" feeling in me that I have and I guess keep hoping at one point someone will see and say "yup, this is what it is and this is how you treat/get rid of it."

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for my doctors appointment next week on Wednesday and of course if I find anything out I'll update the post. In the mean time anyone feel free to weigh in if you have any ideas.

Thanks everyone!

Old 03-21-2010, 11:48 PM   #14
(male)

porteroc HB User

please let me know more if you find out more info, that is exactly what's happening to me
i think it has to do with foreskin, I'm thinking of having a sercumsigen(bad speller) I read somewhere as we males get older if your not sercumsized it's a greater chance of infection docters are so focused on the penis they forget about foreskin, did you by any chance ask the docter of that theory?

Old 03-22-2010, 04:22 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Circumcision is the best cure for frostbite of the penis. It is the best cure, for the hardest cases of BXO, where the skin becomes so tough it irritates all the time
For the rest, it is questionable at best. There are alternative, less destructive methods for fixing any other problem.
This could be eczema, or psoriasis. It is best to see a dermatologist. The skin doctors always seem to know what is going on with skin anywhere, including the penis. Urologists tend not to know the skin conditions, at least in my experience.

Closed Thread