It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Men Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2002, 03:23 PM   #1

cbates79 HB User
How long does an average erection last?

For about the last year or so, I've noticed that my erection doesn't last long at all without intercourse. I'm only 22, so this doesn't seem to be normal. Like if I want to do foreplay with my girl, if I mess around for longer than about 5 minutes, then my erection starts to soften, and find it hard to get it back hard, or sometimes not able to get one back at all. I don't ever have a problem getting one, just keeping one. Now if we start to have intercourse before I lose it, everything is fine. My girl is starting to wonder if I think she's attractive sometimes since this has happen a few times. I'm kind of embarrassed to tell her my problem, so I haven't talked to her about it yet, but plan on it. The main concern here is, how long does an average erection occur for and if this isn't normal what I'm experiencing, should I go to a doctor about this. Also, if anybody asks, some things about me: I'm in really good shape, I lift weights and do some cardio weekly, I eat pretty healthy, I don't smoke, I don't do drugs, I might drink maybe once a month, no STDs, under a little stress now, but when I first noticed this problem, I haven't been under any stress. Thanks for any help.

Old 08-12-2002, 03:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lance2 HB UserLance2 HB UserLance2 HB User
Re: How long does an average erection last?

Hey bud, the time of erections vary from time one of us to the next. However, it sounds as if your penis is responding to the lack of direct stimulation during foreplay and this is probably more common than we think. Also, if this is happening regularly it sounds as if it is bothering you and that too can have an impact here. Its perfectly OK to work with it (masturbate a bit) to get things going again or better yet...have her continue to stimulate it while other things are going on...if you know what I mean. I don't know that a doc visit is needed here, just sounds like a change in technique is in order! Hope this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2002, 05:24 PM   #3

cbates79 HB User

Thanks for the reply. I'm not as worried about the time thing anymore, but still a little concerned about when I do lose the erection, it's very hard for me to get it back, if I'm even to at all. Like when I'm doing my girlfriend favors, I constantly have to do things to myself to keep erect and if I stop and lose the erection, I'm probably not getting it back and it just don't seem like something like that is normal. Any thoughts on what could be causing that?

Old 08-12-2002, 08:59 PM   #4
Inactive

F-Man HB User

I'll be honest, that doesn't sound all that normal to me. Have you had a full physical recently? If not, I'd suggest that you do, and mention it to the doctor then. Maybe its nothing, or maybe its something. My personal preference is to err on the side of caution when it comes to health issues.

could be anxiety related, or could be a prostate problem. It could be related to a prescription drug. Do you take any? You said you workout, I hope you don't take any steroids, even the legal ones, as that could be a cause.

Old 08-13-2002, 02:44 PM   #5
(male)

Weaver HB User

I agree with F-Man. This does not sound normal for a healthy 22 year old man.

You should be able to get it up and keep it up for as long as you want.

Try not to become obsessive about loosing the erection. Maybe, you are too worried. Just enjoy the moment and see what happens.
If this does not work, call the doc and get checked out.

Closed Thread