It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Men Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2001, 11:47 PM   #1

thomascrown HB User
Please help a worrier!!!

First, here's my background. I'm 19 and have had sexual intercourse a grand total of 4 times( 3 with one girl, 1 with another). These were both over a year ago, and I used a condom each time. I've also recieved oral sex from a few more girls, but these occurrences are reducing greatly as I have become scared to death of STD's. I'm asymptomatic, but as a pre-med major, my microbiology class has filled my mind with nightmares of HIV, HPV, and HSV2.
I spoke with my family physician who told me that since I am asymptomatic, not extremely sexually active, and an avid blood donor (have never been deferred from donating), I should quit worrying. However, it's not that easy for me. What are the latency periods for the above diseases? Are blood tests on donated blood sufficient? I would feel incredibly guilty for spreading something to an unsuspecting transfusion recipient, but I'd also like to help in this time of need. I'm really struggling with this situation...so much so that my m.d. gave me a prescription for zoloft 1-2ths. Please help.
Also, could you maybe tell me the qualifications of those who answer these messages? Just want to know who I'm getting my info from. Thanks for any help you can give me. For every response, that might mean one extra hour of sleep I can get tonight.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2001, 08:20 AM   #2

Shel HB User
Re: Please help a worrier!!!

Hey,

Most of the qualifications from the people here are what we have experienced in life, in problems similar to others who post here. There are a few professionals who check some of the topics. The only ones I have noticed are on the Dental board.

I am also a worrier, but on a different level. I have convinced myself that when I leave my house it is going to burn down and my pets will burn to death. Or it will burn down while we are sleeping and we will suffer a painful terrible death. Or even worse, I won't be able to get to my little girl, but I'll survive and have to hear her painful cries for help. Or when ever I am in the car I am sure we are going to get in a terrible accident where I'll lose limbs and have breathing tubes shoved down my throat (too much Trauma Life in the ER). My doctor tried to give me Xanax but I read the side effects and I am worried that they will all happen to me.

Sound like a freak don't I? Well I'm not. I try to live my life normally. What else can you do? I don't want to live my life feeling this way all the time. If you have a STD you most likely would have tested positive by now. And you used condoms!! Just move on with your life and continue to use condoms. In my past there were many times I had sex without using a condom, I still worry that HIV might creep up on me some day, but I really doubt it. I have been happily married for 7 years. He helps me get through my fears each day. Maybe some sort of Therapist would help you, especially if you want professional advice. And about latency periods, you should ask your doctor about that, or search on the net. But I am sure they check the blood you donate thoroughly. You could also check out the Stress/Anxiety Board on here, it is pretty good. A lot of people have different types of Anxiety, you are not a lone. You are young and you should try and work through it with a therapist and medication. Sex is definitely something you don't want to live your life without. Unfortunately a lot of the anti-deppressents have sexual side effects too! Another reason I want to stay away from them.

Good Luck!

Shel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2001, 09:56 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

keil HB Userkeil HB Userkeil HB Userkeil HB User

You say your 19 and a pre-mad student, if you are having these problems you really need to talk to someone (a professional) - I gather you are enrolled in a college, how about talking to someone at the school, you say you went to your doctor, and all he did was prescribe a drug... you need to find another doctor, contact the nearest hospital,tell them your sytoms, they will be happy to suggerst a few doctors.
Continue using condoms...
Good luck and keep us up dated

Old 10-30-2001, 09:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

keil HB Userkeil HB Userkeil HB Userkeil HB User

Sorry - I ment to say pre-med student

Old 10-30-2001, 11:49 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

sdp HB User

Well, I see why the doctor gave you Zoloft. You're on the edge of paranoia and depression. Geez,Relax! You used a condom each time so the chances are pretty slim that you contracted any disease. I think you need to remain celibate if each encounter is going to trigger paranoia and put you on drugs.

Closed Thread