It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Men Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
(male)

kingofthering HB User
Retraction of foreskin

Hi

I am 21 years old, and have never had sex before. Due to a fairly poor sex education (sex instruction is still fairly taboo in our culture), I had never known that the foreskin must be retracted during sex, masturbation, etc, until very recently. I can retract my foreskin entirely to the head fairly easily when flaccid, but when erect, I have not tried to much (I haven't tried enough, since the glans feels extremely sensitive then, and also because I'm worried I won't be able to bring it back to its original position). But I have noticed that it is much harder rolling back the foreskin erect than flaccid. Is it possible that I can retract completely while flaccid but not so while erect?

I have been masturbating for a few years, although not regularly, and I had different styles of masturbation, based on my whims (conventional with hand, prone). However, I quit prone masturbation after reading its risks on a website, and now masturbate conventionally. I have never had a problem maintaining an erection or ejaculating, but I have never retracted my foreskin during masturbation, and neither have I felt or noticed it moving more than I have been used to. Do I have a problem?

I have decided to try stretching my foreskin i.e pulling it out instead of rolling it back, and I do have a fairly stretchable foreskin. However, I am unaware of how I should proceed to ensure I am entirely functional

And is it possible to wear a condom properly without rolling back the foreskin? And does keeping the foreskin in its normal position affect sex? I've read some conflicting reports.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by kingofthering; 06-03-2012 at 12:39 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2012, 06:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Fles HB UserFles HB UserFles HB UserFles HB UserFles HB UserFles HB UserFles HB UserFles HB UserFles HB UserFles HB UserFles HB User
Re: Retraction of foreskin

If you can retract your foreskin when your penis is flaccid, you will eventually be able to retract it when erect. Go to the Men's Health Message Board and find the sticky headed Stretching To Fix Tight Foreskin (Phimosis) for detailed instructions on stretching. You will need to stretch your foreskin daily and persistently over a period of time, but you will succeed.

You say that you haven't tried to retract "too much" when erect because your glans is very sensitive. If you don't try to pull back your foreskin, your glans will continue to remain very sensitive. It has been covered all your life: that's why it's sensitive. To make it less sensitive, you must retract your foreskin and touch the glans as much as possible; for example, retract it in the shower, let the water jet onto your exposed glans and soap it up.

Quote:
also because I'm worried I won't be able to bring it back to its original position
Once you have used the stretching instructions effectively, this will not be a problem. In the meantime, if your foreskin becomes stuck behind the penis head, you should lose your erection as quickly as possible by squeezing the head between thumb and forefinger, then using some form of lubrication (such as your own saliva) to make it easier to push your foreskin forwards to cover the penis head.

Quote:
Is it possible that I can retract completely while flaccid but not so while erect?
Yes, it is possible but that is not what you should aim for. Before rolling on a condom, the penis head should be completely exposed, otherwise there will not be much sensation for you during sex. If you have sex without a condom, your foreskin will be forced back with friction. With movement of the penis during sex, your frenulum could be damaged. So you need to be able to retract your foreskin in order to have sex.

Quote:
I have never retracted my foreskin during masturbation
It is not essential to expose the penis head fully while masturbating. However using the fist to masturbate usually involves sliding the foreskin back and forth, so the glans is exposed (even if only partly) during this action. There are many ways of masturbating and not all of them require retraction of the foreskin.

Start those stretching exercises as soon as possible and you will be pleased with the results. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask. Best wishes.

Last edited by Fles; 06-04-2012 at 06:37 AM.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:08 AM   #3
(male)

kingofthering HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fles View Post
Yes, it is possible but that is not what you should aim for. Before rolling on a condom, the penis head should be completely exposed, otherwise there will not be much sensation for you during sex. If you have sex without a condom, your foreskin will be forced back with friction. With movement of the penis during sex, your frenulum could be damaged. So you need to be able to retract your foreskin in order to have sex.

Best wishes.
I wasn't aiming for retraction only in the flaccid state, I was merely asking whether retraction in the flaccid state implies I will be able to do so in the erect state.

Thank you so much!

Old 06-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
(male)

kingofthering HB User

Ok, as an update to this discussion, today saw some good progress. Until now, I was scared of retracting my foreskin behind the head when erect, but today, I gathered some courage and managed to do so with an erection (not my most powerful erection ever, but still, an erection nonetheless). It was slightly tight, but otherwise didn't cause me any pain or discomfort. I left it as it was for some time, cleaning, allowing water to fall onto it (I was in the shower), but when I wanted to restore my foreskin over the head again, I couldn't because it was all curled up behind the head and I couldn't get a grip on it (I understand, through all this that my foreskin slightly longer than average). However, soon, within a couple of minutes, I lost my erection (possibly due to mild alarm, after all I have read about paraphimosis), and I was then able to restore it. My question is, if it is possible to retract it while erect, should it also be possible to restore it while erect, just like it is when flaccid?

Thanks!

Old 06-06-2012, 04:15 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Fles HB UserFles HB UserFles HB UserFles HB UserFles HB UserFles HB UserFles HB UserFles HB UserFles HB UserFles HB UserFles HB User

It's great that you have discovered it's possible for you to retract when erect. Don't worry about getting your foreskin caught behind the corona. If it happens again, you can lose your erection fairly quickly by squeezing the glans between thumb and forefinger.

Quote:
if it is possible to retract it while erect, should it also be possible to restore it while erect, just like it is when flaccid?
The answer is no, not while your foreskin is still tight. I can remember always having to wait until my penis was at least partly flaccid before I could push the skin forwards to cover the glans after an erection. Getting a tight foreskin loosened is not a quick process; you should find it much easier in a month or so. But you can be pleased that you have made so much progress in such a short time.

There are two other things I want to mention. Forcing your foreskin back behind the head while erect and leaving it there for a short time is a good way of stretching it but you need to be careful to avoid causing tiny splits in the skin at the tip by being too forceful like this. If splitting occurs, you will have to wait until the split heals completely before you attempt any further stretching. In such circumstances, there's also the possibility of scar tissue forming and that might make stretching more difficult.

The other thing is that you should not be tempted to leave your foreskin retracted for any length of time, particularly over-night. While you are asleep, your penis goes through quite a few erections -- the most obvious of which is the one you wake up with in the morning. (As an aside, it was once commonly believed that morning erections resulted from a full bladder and the need to urinate, but this is now known to be not true.) Because your foreskin is still tight, if you leave it retracted, eventually the frenulum will become swollen: that is paraphimosis. In your case, it would not be a medical emergency because you know what you're doing, but you would not want it to happen.

By the way, the fact that your foreskin is "longer than average" is, I think, not significant to any of this. A long over-hang is more common than you might think.

Congratulations on taking the step in the shower to retract while erect. You have achieved a lot.

Last edited by Fles; 06-06-2012 at 04:22 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fles For This Useful Post:
kingofthering (06-06-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 12:28 PM   #6
(male)

kingofthering HB User

Thanks a lot!

Just one more question. If this splitting occurs, I would know, right? I would feel pain, or see blood, or something? Or would there be really small tears that I can't feel at all, which heal to form scar tissue?

Old 06-06-2012, 06:41 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Yes, you would know if there's a split or tear at the tip of your foreskin because it would sting in the shower or, maybe, when you pee.

I'm pleased that I have been able to help; if you have any questions, just ask. Because of your sensible attitude and actions, you are well on the way to enjoying the benefits of a loose foreskin.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:59 AM   #8
(male)

ultima37 HB User

Hi,

I had the same problem. Its bit embarrassing since im 30+ and did not know nothing about stretching till now. I tried this few days back, when i was not sure if what im doing is fine.
Also, i did it bit forcefully. It was painful, but i was able to get the sking over the head. It was painful as well as the glans was too sensitive. I tried to pull back the skin to normal position, which by itself was difficult due to sensitivity. But no matter how much i pulled the skin could not cover the head completely. I thought may be i have damaged it, and i have to be like this always. For a day i left it like that and suffered the discomfort. Could not even walk properly. But slowly the sensitivity was bit less than earlier. I searched the web only then, learnt about it properly. Tried Betamethasone cream and massaged gently on the shaft and the glans, tried to cover the head with skin. But it did not cover properly. But after while i felt the discomfort was gone and when i checked the skin had covered normally. May be its due to the cream or simply the lubrication. not sure which. Now i thought the problem was solved. But i was wrong. Next day i tried to pull, it was again difficult. It was bit sore but the pain was not as before. So, i tried the pulling under water very slowly. I was able to pull back over head. and clean with water. Its been couple of days of this exercise, now i clean as well as try to lessen the sensitivity by gently touching and rubbing which was possible now. Only problem is i cant get erection when the skin is pulled completely over head and the skin still not possible pull while erection, but only 1/2 cm possible. I read somewhere that older you are more the difficulty and time needed to loosen the skin. Is it true? When can i assume that im doing properly? ie the skin is rolled back over head and stopped, skin gets accumulated there, feels like gripping there. May be this is causing difficulty to blood flow so i cant get erection?

Closed Thread

Tags
foreskin, penis, phimosis, retraction, sex