It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Men Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2002, 10:54 PM   #1

metallichik HB User
Question headaches after sex

for some reason, IMMEDIATELY after my husband ejaculates, he gets sharp headaches (sometimes, i dont mean after every time). but especially if he had even a slight headache to begin with. do any of you guys ever do this? what could cause this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2002, 11:09 AM   #2

metallichik HB User
Thumbs up

?

[This message has been edited by metallichik (edited 01-09-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2002, 11:33 AM   #3
Inactive

jasmine30 HB User
Ive had slight headaches immediately after Orgasms.They always pass as soon as my breathing and heart rate return to normal.

Old 11-07-2002, 09:01 PM   #4

PiePants HB User
shouldn't hold your breath during an orgasm. I try to make as many sounds as possible, thus increasing breathing.

It's fun.

Old 11-08-2002, 09:21 AM   #5
(male)

Kiltee HB User
It's only happened to me once, and it wasn't even with someone else around. Had just been maturbating when I came and all of I sudden I felt this searing white-hot pain in each of my temples. I honestly thought I was having an aneurysm. It was one of the most painful experiences of my life, and ranked right up there with getting kicked in the nuts x-{

Old 01-07-2003, 01:11 AM   #6

Headache HB User
I had the same problem and blew it off. Then I talked to a guy who would have the same migraines after a orgasm. He went to a Doctor and he had really high blod pressure and got some meds and the headaches stopped. I went to the doctor as well and got some BP mdication and haven't had the problem since. Per my doctor when your BP goes up during sex it can cause vessel to burst or tear and cause a instant migraine.

I would strongly recommend getting a pressure check because these headaches may be a symptom of a much more serious problem.

Old 01-07-2003, 05:39 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User
umm I just want to point out that when a vessel bursts or tears it's called a "cerebral aneurism" and not a migraine.

migraines come from the constriction of blood vessels inside the brain, which can cause severe pain.

Yes, this sounds like most likely a blood pressure problem, otherwise, look into the possibility of a back problem, because pinched nerves (and the various geometric positions we fit ourselves in to haev sex which precipitate them) can cause severe headaches.

Old 01-07-2003, 06:35 PM   #8

metallichik HB User
if it was bp or back probs or something like that, why does he get them only after orgasms? thanks for the info, tho

Old 01-08-2003, 07:32 AM   #9
Inactive

jasmine30 HB User
Wrin,
Good advice,however headaches after sex does NOT signify a person has high blood pressure.Now during sex and orgasm our blood pressure goes up as does our heart beat and respiration..When our blood pressure goes up,so does the pressure in our head.Believe it or not,sex causes tension and muscle tightening.Sex headaches are medically called,Coital Cephalgia...These headaches can be benign or due to a medical condition such as..meningitis,bleeding in the skull,aneurysm,tumors,strokes,and various enodcrine disorders.It wouldnt hurt to go to your doctor if you have them frequently..Afterall..Your health is your first wealth..

Jasmine

Old 01-08-2003, 09:13 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User
jasmine, you blow me away.
hypertention secondary to artheriostenosis secondary to artheriosclerosis is certainly capable of causing headaches during sex when blood pressure rises due to an increase in cardiac output from physical exertion.

Now, since these headaches have happened more than once and were not accompanied by things like posturing, decorticate or decerebrate body positions, drooling, tingling, vision loss, or death, I, like everyone else, immediately ruled out meningitis (an inflammation of the membranes of the brain that, if left untreated for more than 48 hours usually results in death or disability,) bleeding in the skull (which would put the brain under terrible pressure because of the blood-brain barrier and would cause cognitive problems or symptoms listed above in addition to the headaches) anyeurism (which must be repaired surgically to stop the bleed or it will result in death,) strokes (an area of ischemia and resultant death of surrounding brain tissue due to a blood clot), etcetera, etcetera. Most those things you mentioned are things that, left untreated for more than 48 hours, almost certainly WILL result in death or disability. ALL the things mentioned above will result in symptoms that will NOT go away quickly. They may subside, but will likely not go away entirely until the underlying etiology is corrected.

Headaches are such a vague symptom, I would tell your husband to try and notice any other symptoms he has (I know he's in an altered mental state but these things could provide an indication). Things like tingling, numbness, language difficulties of any sort (including the inability to speak coherently, understand words, or dyslexic tendencies,) vision problems, especially spots of blindness, loss of coordination, loss of balance-sense, nausea, etcetera.

Also, how rapidly do these headaches come on, does your husband notice an 'aura' before he has one -- can he tell he's going to have one before the pain begins? Many migraine sufferers will see shimmering or areas of blurriness or color in their vision, or hear a particular sound, (like rushing air,) etcetera, before they experience a migraine.

Old 01-08-2003, 09:22 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User
oh, and to answer metallchik's question...
Hypertension is also called 'the silent killer' because it does not usually present with symptoms. But there's a couple of things that happen with orgasm that can result in headache. Mostly, it's that since sex is a matter of physical exertion, and many other endorphins are released upon orgasm, the combination of the exertion and the endorphin release can cause an increase in cardiac output (amount of blood pumped, influenced by heart rate and stroke volume) which can increase blood pressure. Also, some endorphins released will stimulate the sympathetic nervous system, which causes blood vessels to further constrict. There are few other activities aside from rapid stress (think the fight-or-flight response) that will cause blood pressure to rise for the same reason.

If your husband has already high blood pressure, the subsequent increase in blood pressure during orgasm can put enough pressure on the walls of the small blood vessels (especially the blood vessels surrounding the brain, which are especially sensitive to changes in pressure, as migraines, which are caused by constriction of the blood vessels in the brain and increase in blood pressure within the brain, will show,) to further increase the pressure within to the point where it causes pain.

Back problems might also be possible because it is not very often that we put ourselves in the various geometric positions used during sex -- bent backwards at the waist at a 45 degree angle is a good example. Much stress is put on the neck. This isn't a likely example, but would be a last-resort to investigate. Right after orgasm, the endorphins released also have a relaxing effect, which could relax the muscles used to hold his neck in the position where it causes no pain. A pinched nerve can cause some rather erratic symptoms that are sometimes difficult to trace to a back problem, as the symptoms manifest in an area fed by the nerve and sometimes seemingly unrelated to the spinal column.

Closed Thread