It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Men Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2003, 09:26 PM   #1

weird_seed HB User
Post 4skin

How many American guys are circumsized? And why?

Old 09-05-2003, 09:32 AM   #2
Veteran

sdp2 HB User
I don't know the acutal percentage of men who are circumcised, but the circumcision rate varies. Here is an article I found:

In the "who knew?" department comes this tidbit from the National Center for Health Statistics:
Newborn boys in the Midwest are more than twice as likely to be circumcised as newborn boys in the West.

In 1999, the most recent year for which information is available, the Midwest led the country in circumcisions, with 81.4% of baby boys undergoing the procedure, in which the foreskin is removed from the penis.

But only 36.7% of baby boys born that year in the West were circumcised, says a new report from the health statistics center, or NCHS, part of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The NCHS has been collecting circumcision data since 1979, but this is the first time it has published the breakdown by region and race, says statistician Abigail Moss, who wrote the new report.

From 1979 to 1999, the proportion of circumcised newborns nationwide and in the Northeast held steady at around 65%, according to the new report. ...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2003, 10:07 AM   #3
(male)

tomcornell HB User
Too many!

The American Medical Association changed their stance a couple years ago. They no longer recommend routine circumcision, although they don't discourage it either. At least they took it out of the "automatic procedure" category so parents don't have to fight tooth and nail with their pediatricians to prevent them from mutilating their newborn boys.

So probably fewer will be circumcised as time goes on.
I'd say that American men are in the minority worldwide. Overseas in the showers you will see almost all uncut dicks.

Old 09-05-2003, 12:27 PM   #4
Inactive

focus HB User
sdp2's information is very good. Also note that American's circumcision rates have dropped considerably overall over the past 20-30 years. Back in the early 1970's, circumcision rates in the U.S. were as high as 80-85%. Now, nationwide its around 60% for newborns, and keeps declining each year.

Hopefully it will eventually drop to rates like the rest of the world. Because circumcision is a waste, IMO.

Old 09-05-2003, 01:56 PM   #5

missychacha HB User
UGH: Why are so many boys still being circumcised in the US? I have two boys. The first is and second is not. I was under so much pressure from my first husband and it was in the early nineties so thinking was more backward then... that I caved in. I regret my lack of conviction to this day.

My new hubby is not circumcised and neither is our son. I LOVE that I didn't have the procedure done to my child. There is no sound reason to remove foreskin as a matter of course on every healthy new baby boy. Health issues??? Pshaw! Most problems you hear about are caused by the rather misguided attempts at retracting the foreskin of an infant for cleaning. It's just not that dirty, darn it! If you leave it alone until the child has grown and the foreskin is naturally retractable and thus cleanable (the child will be able to do this), most of the problematic penile pathos and impairments would be avoided altogether.

Would anyone support female circumcision? That area can have health related problems for women. Should we just clean it up and remove some labial/vaginal skin via surgery??? Make it really easy to stay tidy? In my opinion, it's just as ridiculous do it to boys.

I think antiquated religious beliefs against the enjoyment of sex and the multitude of misguided health concerns should be abandoned for a "natural is best" policy.

Barring tragedy, baby boys are born absolutely perfect and need no medical intervention or physical alteration of their dear little bodies and they grow into wonderful adult men without this intervention.

Important Note: Of course if you are circumcised there is nothing whatsoever to feel badly about. Chances are it wasn't your choice and the circumcised penis is very enjoyable.

Old 09-06-2003, 08:33 PM   #6

Catbert26 HB User
Red face

Circumcision is a personal choice. My parents didn't choose of me, and I thank them. I have thought about it, but haven't made up my mind. Its personal. My wife and I would have to make the decision together if it weren't a medical problem.

I think that we as a society would think differently about circumcising boys, if we had to answering the same question about circumcising our daughters. Personally neither is an decidion a parent should make for non-medical reasons for it. A natural **** or ***** is God's design for us.

lets face it Circumsion is a cosmetic surgery.

Closed Thread