It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Men Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2003, 06:21 PM   #1
Inactive

kungfoomonkey HB User
Post Superstitious

Ok, this is a really dumb problem, but one none the less. Usually I'm not superstitious, but for some reason I think that I am being punished everytime I masturbate. I know this is dumb, but it's annoying, because after I do it, I just sit and wait for something bad to happen. I think that started when one of my friends said that its a sin in my religion (judiasm). Can anyone offer some words of wisdom?

Maybe it's a good thing though, keeps me from pumpin the porpise too much

[This message has been edited by kungfoomonkey (edited 09-08-2003).]

Old 09-09-2003, 03:15 AM   #2

Tigrazhia HB User
It's probably worse NOT to masturbate, girl or guys, I can't imagine going years without relieving that tension... it makes people grumpy, I'm sure the world would be a much happier place if people wouldn't deny themselves the pleasure of masturbation.

Other than that, I think it's a natural urge & it helps you get to know your own body... How are you ever gonna explain to a girl how you like things if you haven't explored on your own a little first?

So I say relax & enjoy!

Tig

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2003, 05:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Fles HB UserFles HB UserFles HB UserFles HB UserFles HB UserFles HB UserFles HB UserFles HB UserFles HB UserFles HB UserFles HB User
kungfoomonkey: It's not a dumb problem.

Don't just sit and wait. Get up, put your pants on, and do something else ... anything else that will take your mind off "punishment".

Enjoy yourself. When you're finished, enjoy yourself some more. Change the direction of your thoughts by forcefully thinking of other things.

Old 09-09-2003, 10:48 AM   #4

Rikimaru HB User
Basically, you have to decide for yourself whether it's something worthy of punishment or not. So many people these days base what they think solely on what other people tell them. "Gayz is sinnerz cuz mah pappy said so." Junk like that.

Think about it for yourself. Do you think you're doing anything wrong? Do you really think god cares if you masturbate? You're not making anyone sick or pregnant. You're not jerking anyone's emotions around. All you're doing is getting a little pleasure by yourself. I don't recall ever reading "Thou shalt not touch thyself." In Buddhism, we have the idea that sex should not be used irresponsibly... nothing in there about sex itself being bad.. just if we cause others suffering in our pursuit of it. If anything, masturbation is preventing you from doing stuff that IS bad, like teenage girl pregnant or something.

If you conclude for yourself that it's not bad, then who cares what your mom or rabbi thinks. Religion is a product of mankind, and subject to our fallacies. Your views are ultimately based on your own thoughts, feelings, experiences and relationship with the divine forces out there.

Old 09-13-2003, 10:27 PM   #5
(male)

edgework HB User
It's been observed in various quarters that 95% of men masturbate, and the other 5% lie about it. So, if it's really a sin, you'll have a lot of company. Come to think of it, I'll be right there with you. See ya then.
about the answers

Old 09-14-2003, 12:34 PM   #6

gTu HB User
not jacking off might give u motivation to find someone u can have real sex with lol

Old 09-14-2003, 02:42 PM   #7
(male)

peaceseeker2 HB User
Hi!
I thought I would put my two cents in on this one. First of all, you had indicated that your friend has informed you that masturbation is considered wrong in Judaism. Based on this, I get the feeling that thus far Judaism has not really played a large role in your life. Thus, why are you concerned? Also, as far as I am aware, the are several different sects of Judaism: Orthodox, Conservative, Reform,Reconstructionist, Humanistic. I would assume that only the older, more conservative,more traditional versions of Judaism would hold the view that masturbation is wrong. Also, why are you relying on your friend to explain what your religion does and does not consider morally correct or incorrect? Do your own research!!! Religion is always subject to interpretation and thus that is one of the reasons there are sooooooo many different denominations and sects of every faith tradition. Another point I would like to make is to look over your past experiences with masturbation. You say that you are concerned bad things will happen to you as a consequence of masturbating. Thus far, what bad things have happened to you as a consequence of masturbating????? Are there ANY examples to support this fear? Finally, I must say that I have a lot of respect for the Jewish faith, but I am not a Jew. My understanding of it is limited, however, I do believe that there is a concept within it of a "mitzvah". I think that is what it is called. The concept that I am thinking of is one of a holy obligation or duty. I would put forth the idea that masturbating could be considered a mitzvah. God gave both us our sexuality and the ability to masturbate. Perhaps there was a reason he did this! Engaging in sexual activity for the mere sake of relieving sexual tension can lead to disaster. There are issues of unwanted pregnancy, the spread of disease such as HIV and STDs, engaging in sex at way too young of an age, etc., etc. You get the idea. We have the capability to tend to the gift of sexuality that God gave us, to deal with it in a responsible manner (masturbation), while fulfilling this 'mitzvah' to not harm others with the potential of an unwanted pregnancy, disease, etc.
Well, that was MY two cents worth. Good luck on your faith journey.

[This message has been edited by peaceseeker2 (edited 09-14-2003).]

Closed Thread