It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Men Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2003, 08:10 AM   #1

Ben There HB User
Unhappy That Prostate "Thing"...

Anyone care to share their own stories ??? I was told by a urologist that once the olde prostate gets "prostatitis" - you can never fully lose the base infection... Something about the tissues swelling and cutting their own blood supply enough that the immune system can't finish the job... And, the anti-bacterial (anti-biotic) therapies are reserved for the severe flare-ups...

Meanwhile - I was "told" that Saw Palmetto acts to retard the production of Estrogen (which theoretically adds to the problem)...

In my case, when my bowels fill, I experience quite a degree of prostatic discomfort. My HMO provided PCP tends to regard it as more of a pain in HIS sphincter.

Any similar ? Suggestions ?

------------------
Ex-Pharmaceutical Guinea Pig...

Old 09-24-2003, 08:51 AM   #2
Inactive

cutup HB User
My husband swears that having more sex makes the problem less severe. I had surgery and we were not able to have sex for several weeks. He talked about feeling the pressure in the rectum too. He took saw palmetto for a while but could really tell no difference. His just flares up once in a while and it first started about 3 years ago. Seems to be a chronic problem that never really goes away like you say. He took antibiotics the first time and really only twice has had it bad enough to feel that he needed to be seen for it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2003, 04:14 PM   #3
Inactive

focus HB User
I've never heard of permanent prostatitis infection. Prostatitis is a generic condition that basically means any kind of inflammation of the prostate. A bacterial prostatitis is treatable by antibiotics, and it usuaully returns to a healthy non-inflammed state.

There is a non-bacterial prostatitis that occurs in all men gradually over time. Testosterone causes the prostate to enlarge as we get older. Its a never ending process. At some point, the prostate gets large enough that its considered prostatitis, usually when it starts to cause complications such as frequent urination or difficulty urinating, pain or irritation, impotence, etc.

Old 09-24-2003, 04:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Magnetic HB UserMagnetic HB User
Saw palmetto often helps, but it can take months to take effect and you have to take sufficient quantities of it.

Once you get prostatitis, whatever it was that caused you to get it can come back again. Unlike a virus, you don't get immunity.

Periodic ejaculations often help as well.

Closed Thread