It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Men Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
(male)

TellTheWorld HB User
UTI Or False Negative On A Chlamydia/Gonorrhea test?

Hi, I am a 26yr old man. I have engaged in unprotected sex more times than I care to admit. My 7 yr old is evidence. Recently, I started going out with friends again. Something I haven't done in probably 5 years or more. It seemed everywhere we went to drink, that girls would throw themselves at me. I would say I'm an average looking guy. Not that attractive guy who gets all the girls. I haven't been used to that kind of attention. Long story short...I slept with multiple girls withing the coarse of a couple weekends.

One morning I woke up and realized I had a little too much to drink the night before...actually the past 2 nights were blurred into one long drinking binge. I then realized signs that I had engaged in intercourse with somebody. Piecing it together I realized it was somebody I had said NO WAY to on more than 5 occasions. Somebody I never would have slept with intentionally.

I freaked out. I felt taken advantage of, but even worse is I have no idea where this girl has been. I picked up the phone and scheduled an appointment to get tested for EVERYTHING. This was a Mon. morning and I was tested the following Thurs.

Then I made a follow up appointment for the results 2 wks later. The Mon. before I got my results I noticed a milky discharge. The next day a burning during urination. Weds my urethra and testicles were sore and I felt lower abdominal pain. I thought for sure I had chlamydia. My results all came back negative, but when I told my dr my new symptoms she tested for UTI. Sure enough I have one.

My question is...Is it possible that I got a false negative and chlamydia made me test positive for UTI? Or did I get tested too soon after sex?

I am worried the cipro I was given will only make the infection stronger.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
(male)

mc7 HB Usermc7 HB Usermc7 HB Usermc7 HB Usermc7 HB Usermc7 HB Usermc7 HB User
Re: UTI Or False Negative On A Chlamydia/Gonorrhea test?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TellTheWorld View Post
Is it possible that I got a false negative and chlamydia made me test positive for UTI? Or did I get tested too soon after sex?
Yes that is possible. Chlamydia can show up as positive on the nonspecific UTI test, and it is possible that it may have been missed by the prior chlamydia-specific test. As I understand it, Cipro is not totally ineffective, it's just not the ideal antibiotic for chlamydia. If you still have any symptoms, go back to the doc.

The situation you described is date rape. I'm sorry that happened to you. (And don't be embarrassed if you need to talk to a therapist about it.)

Cranberry juice might help somewhat to minimize you chances for contracting future infections of this nature (it's still well short of a real, effective preventative though!). Preferably drink some prior to any potential exposure (like before going out drinking), but of course the only real protection is condoms. And even they do not protect from everything (HSV, HPV, MC, etc.).

I hope this helps!

The Following User Says Thank You to mc7 For This Useful Post:
TellTheWorld (11-08-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #3
(male)

TellTheWorld HB User

Thanks. That's pretty much what I figured. And you are right, it sure feels like rape. Though, I doubt they would convict. It's hard enough to convict scumbags that do it to women. Unless it was a statutory thing, I don't see them even charging a woman. I need to just stay far far away from this girl. What's worse is I found out that I'm not the first person she did this to. She is a predator. Serial rapist. Like I said, she had tried on 5 other occasions, but I can handle my alcohol better than her and shut her down. This time I had already been drinking for 24 hrs before she showed up with my friends. So messed up. After this...She isn't aloud to hang out with any of us.

Back to the medical issues. When they tested my UTI apparently the did a culture to find out what type of bacteria it was. They said it wasn't an std. Took the cipro consistently twice everyday 12 hrs apart for a week. All symptoms subsided and I tested negative for a UTI dipstick. This culture came back with no bacteria. After what happened to me I had sworn of women and all sexual activity. At least for the immediate future. Just focused entirely on being Dad.

Then I had my daughter's birthday party on the 25th at the Hampton inn. She had a pool party and then a couple of her friends stayed behind after the main party was over and had a slumber party in the hotel room. It was all little girls so they stayed with my Mom. It didn't seem appropriate for me to stay in a hotel room with four little girls. They all went up to the room and I stayed downstairs to finish cleaning up the meeting room the main party was in. Some how just before I finished and went home, I ended up with the front desk girl's phone number. Totally wasn't my intention, haha...but I was intrigued. So I went and stayed at her place the next night. I was told I was all clear so YES, we did hook up.

A few days later my UTI symptoms started slowly returning. I went and got tested again and sure enough it's back. I'm on cipro again. Only for 2 wks this time. I don't understand, I've never had urinary tract issues ever before. Why now? I'm gonna be devastated if I have to tell this girl I gave her something. I told her everything I have posted here, and a whole lot more. The Dr.s have all said this wouldn't have been passed to her. But I'm still worried about it. Not that I'm at all interested in even trying to have intercourse while my urinary tract is infected and it hurts to even get an erection. Ouch. We are supposed to hang out again this weekend but I already explained it would have to be a PG-13 kind of evening.

I'm just hoping that since I tested negative, and had no symptoms, that it was gone when I slept with her. And that it only returned afterwards. Possibly because of.

Last edited by TellTheWorld; 11-08-2012 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Typo's

Old 11-08-2012, 06:53 PM   #4
(male)

mc7 HB Usermc7 HB Usermc7 HB Usermc7 HB Usermc7 HB Usermc7 HB Usermc7 HB User

It's not our friends' obligation to save us from situations like this, but man, it would have been better for you if a friend had stopped you/her. Black-out drinking really is dangerous!

Really, there are a lot of possibilities besides just failing to have detected chlamydia (possibly). There are so many STIs. A handful of the more common ones are: fungus (Candida and many other yeasts), bacteria (gonorrhea--can be Cipro resistant now--, Ureaplasma, Mycoplasma, Haemophilus/Gardnerella, etc.), protozoa (Trichomonas), and handfuls of viruses. Quite a few are not routinely tested for and are resistant to popular antibiotics (including all the viruses of course). Chlamydia and gonorrhea are the most common ones though. They're generally pretty easy to treat, but you might need a stronger antibiotic than Cipro--and so does the new girl unfortunately.

If you weren't too embarrassed to press the issue and wanted to do what little you could to "seek justice," you might file a police report about it. It's true that probably no one would do anything. Lack of evidence would probably be a valid legal concern. But there is some tiny chance a police report about her might help someone in the future.

Last edited by mc7; 11-08-2012 at 06:56 PM.

Closed Thread