It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Teens Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2003, 11:18 PM   #1
Inactive

ForgetMeKnot HB User
Confused..Coldsore/herpe??

6. Condoms should always be worn as protection against STD's. Don't ever "trust" anyone. Even oral cold sores are considered a version of herpes that can be caught below. Signs of STD can be latent and your partner can be a carrier. They may not even know it.

I was reading through the pregnacny for teens thread, and came across this.

So my question is...Even if a person has a cold sore/kanchor sore/or candy sore (from having candy sit in one place of the mouth), but does not have herpes or any kind of std, the cold sore can be transferred to the vagina/penis, and look like a herpe??

Old 11-17-2003, 05:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

devastated HB User
[QUOTE=Even if a person has a cold sore/kanchor sore/or candy sore (from having candy sit in one place of the mouth), but does not have herpes or any kind of STD[/QUOTE]

Coldsores/fever blisters ARE herpes. Anyone who has ever had a coldsore or feverblister HAS herpes orally. Most of the time, coldsores/fever blisters (I've never heard the term "candy sore" before" are caused by HSV type 1. Genital herpes is usually caused by HSV type 2. However, HSV1 can readily and easily infect the genital area, and rarely, type 2 can infect the oral area. A doctor can not tell if someone is infected with type1 or type2 genitally by looking at it, it can only be determined by a test. Now, a canker sore is something totally different. A true canker sore is not contageous and has nothing to do with herpes. Now, most people become infected with herpes orally while they are still children, through non-sexual contact. Doctors estimate that at least 80% of the population are already infected with herpes orally by the time they reach 14 years of age. Only about 20% of people infected orally with herpes experience symptoms, the rest just carry the virus asymptomatic, but can still spread it to others. I have studied ALOT about herpes since I contracted it 1 year ago, from my boyfriend's mouth during oral sex. He has no STD's (we were both tested before we started having sex, and tested negative for everything, but the doctor's didn't test for HSV1 since almost everyone has it.), but he gave me an STD....now I'm stuck with genital herpes. It seems so ironic. Anyways, I hope that helped some. If you have further questions, you should find plenty of info on the herpes board here.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2003, 09:41 PM   #3
Inactive

ForgetMeKnot HB User
[QUOTE=devastated][QUOTE=Even if a person has a cold sore/kanchor sore/or candy sore (from having candy sit in one place of the mouth), but does not have herpes or any kind of STD[/QUOTE]

Coldsores/fever blisters ARE herpes. Anyone who has ever had a coldsore or feverblister HAS herpes orally. Most of the time, coldsores/fever blisters (I've never heard the term "candy sore" before" are caused by HSV type 1. Genital herpes is usually caused by HSV type 2. However, HSV1 can readily and easily infect the genital area, and rarely, type 2 can infect the oral area. A doctor can not tell if someone is infected with type1 or type2 genitally by looking at it, it can only be determined by a test. Now, a canker sore is something totally different. A true canker sore is not contageous and has nothing to do with herpes. Now, most people become infected with herpes orally while they are still children, through non-sexual contact. Doctors estimate that at least 80% of the population are already infected with herpes orally by the time they reach 14 years of age. Only about 20% of people infected orally with herpes experience symptoms, the rest just carry the virus asymptomatic, but can still spread it to others. I have studied ALOT about herpes since I contracted it 1 year ago, from my boyfriend's mouth during oral sex. He has no STD's (we were both tested before we started having sex, and tested negative for everything, but the doctor's didn't test for HSV1 since almost everyone has it.), but he gave me an STD....now I'm stuck with genital herpes. It seems so ironic. Anyways, I hope that helped some. If you have further questions, you should find plenty of info on the herpes board here. [/QUO

So your boyfriend was carrying the type of herpe that didnt show signs but was able to pass it on to others? Even thouugh he was clear of all stds. Did he have any sores in his mouth at the time?

If they would of tested for HSV1 would you have not gotten herpes, and it would of shown he was a carrier?

Old 11-18-2003, 01:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

devastated HB User
Hi, no, he didn't have any sores on his mouth at the time, however, he did remember getting coldsores a couple times when he was younger. Once you ever have a coldsore (herpes), you always have herpes, whether the symptoms stop or not. Yes, he would have tested positive if he had been tested for HSV1, but I really doubt that would have prevented me from getting it. I mean, almost everyone has it orally, and as we are in a monogomous relationship, I wouldn't have had him use a dental damn anyway. The fact that so many people have HSV1 orally is one of the reasons genital herpes is spreading so fast. My doctor said that well over half of the new genital herpes cases she sees in her office are type 1, presumably contracted through oral sex.

Old 11-20-2003, 01:10 PM   #5
Inactive

ForgetMeKnot HB User
Re: Confused..Coldsore/herpe??

So type one isnt a real serous herpe? Because that is the same that is in the mouth, but in some way was able to spread to the genitals during oral sex?

This makes me kinda scared, and although ive been with my boyfriend for over two year..it kinda makes me re think letting him give me oral now. Since you can get genital herpes just from a cold sore.

Another questions...How do you first get it(coldsore) in your mouth?

And how long did it take for signs to show up after the first oral encounter with him?

Thanks for all your information this is really interesting and an important issue i was confused about!

Old 11-20-2003, 02:06 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

devastated HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgetMeKnot
So type one isnt a real serous herpe? Because that is the same that is in the mouth, but in some way was able to spread to the genitals during oral sex?

Another questions...How do you first get it(coldsore) in your mouth?

And how long did it take for signs to show up after the first oral encounter with him?

Hi there, well, really, one type of herpes is not any more serious than the other, both types I and II produce the exact same symptoms, and are the same virus, just different strands. I was told by my doctor that type I genitally will usually recur less often than type II genitally, but that is not a definate. Type I is more infectious than type II, in that it readily infects both genitals and oral tissues, while type II prefers to stick to the genitals (although you can get type II orally, its not nearly as common as getting type I genitally).

How do people first get oral herpes (coldsores)? Well, most often they are infected while they are children. It is very contageous, and can be given to you by someone kissing you (like adult relatives who have it kissing babies and children). It could also conceivably be caught if say, someone with it used some lipstick/chapstick, and you used it immediately after them. In this situation, it would have to be used IMMEDIATELY after them, as the herpes virus dies pretty quickly when on inanimate objects and exposed to the air. If someone makes it through childhood without getting it orally, chances are they will probably catch it via kissing when they are older. Only 20% of those infected orally will ever show symptoms though.

My symptoms appeared about 4 days after the oral sex encounter, and I not only had sores on my genitals, but everywhere that my boyfriend's mouth touched.....on both of my nipples, and I somehow got it on my finger too. My doctor said it must have entered my finger through a hangnail that I had and that my finger must have come into contact with his saliva at one point, and I have nipple piercings that must have given the virus a way in there. Herpes can't infect body parts other than the genitals or oral region unless there is a break in the skin to let it in, as the skin in other areas is too thick.

I hope this answers most of your questions. There is a really great website with lots of information on both strains of herpes, how they are caught, etc....I really wish Healthboards would let us post website links. But if you would like to check it out, if you go over to the genital herpes board on *****.com, there are usually links to it in most posts, because the doctors refer the people asking questions to that page quite often.

Old 11-20-2003, 04:31 PM   #7
Inactive

ForgetMeKnot HB User

Do you think by now that I would of had signs of this ( if it broke out if i do have it and dont know it) since urs broke out 4 days after?

If u dont mind me asking..are you and your boyfriend still together? Please feel free to totally ignore me if you like

Im going to check out *****-thanks again

Old 11-21-2003, 04:34 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

devastated HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgetMeKnot
Do you think by now that I would of had signs of this ( if it broke out if i do have it and dont know it) since urs broke out 4 days after?

If u dont mind me asking..are you and your boyfriend still together? Please feel free to totally ignore me if you like

Im going to check out *****-thanks again

haha, don't worry, your not bothering me! There's really no way to tell for absolute sure, but I would say that since you have never broken out, chances are you don't have it genitally. Blood testing wouldn't be a help if you did test positive for type 1, becuase the test can't tell you in what location the infection is, and most people will test positive anyway because most people have it orally. A lot of women don't break out though, a lot just get symptoms similar to a yeast infection for their outbreaks. I really wouldn't worry about having it if I were you, just avoid oral with your partner if he/she has a cold sore present on their lips.

Yes, my boyfriend and I are still together....just bought a house actually.

Old 11-21-2003, 04:34 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

LiLnuTTy HB User

I have had cold sores, in the past, mostly when I was younger, and my bf and I are big on the oral, and neither of us has contracted gential herpes. Altho its possible, people shouldnt think that just because you have had a cold sore in your life, you automatically give it to someone you are giving oral to, or contract it the same. Because that certainly hasnt happened in my case.

Old 11-21-2003, 09:33 PM   #10
Inactive

ForgetMeKnot HB User

Has your boyfriend ever shown signs?

And do you guys still engage in unprotected sex, and oral?

Im sorry if im being nosey at all, Im just so curious about this subject, and learning from people with experience gives me so much more correct info than trying to find it on the internet. I really appreciate all your responses Devastated

If you've seen my post on the STD boards..I have a current yeast infection, and as you said sometimes symptoms are like a yeast infection. So I got a little worried because I read that somewhere else to, i finally visited the Dr. and got it straightened out.

Old 11-22-2003, 09:23 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

LiLnuTTy HB User

He has never even shown signs of oral herpes,and yes, we still engage in unprotected sex.... if oral is type 1 and genital is type 2, how can someone with type 1, give someone type 2? Its not possible.

Old 11-22-2003, 06:01 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

LiLnuTTy HB User

Hes never shown signs of genital herpes either...sorry forgot to include that piece of info.

Old 11-22-2003, 09:17 PM   #13
Inactive

ForgetMeKnot HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLnuTTy
Hes never shown signs of genital herpes either...sorry forgot to include that piece of info.

As of what i understand..just because it is on the genitals does not mean that it is necessarily type 2. It can still be type 1 but infect the genital tissues...as in Devastated's case.

Giving type 2 to the mouth is rare, but can happen also...as Devastated said.

A herpe is a herpe, no matter which type, just a different kind in a way and can sitll be transferable. Thats how im understanding it.

I think you are in a little bit of denial Lilnutty...because if your boyfriend has had a cold sore that means hes got type 1, and yeah it can be transfered to your genital tissues, as type 1. I dont know the chances though, but if i read correctly that not everyeon will show symptoms, as in a break out of herpes, but many people carry it, and dont know it.

Old 11-23-2003, 03:42 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

LiLnuTTy HB User

Oh so no I'm in denial? Thats going pretty far . I'm not a teenager romp'n around with a bunch of guys, unprotected. Im an adult,Ive been tested. and I'm only saying what Ive experienced. Just because either partner has had a coldsore, DOES NOT MEAN necessarily that it will be transferred to your genitals. It may be possible but it certainly does not happen in every case..... and if most everyone has this type 1, then everyone that had unprotected oral sex would have genital herpes if it spreads like you are implying.
Like I said , Im not saying it cant happen, I'm say'n, in my case it hasnt happened, and probably in many other cases it hasnt happened. ANd just because it hasnt happened in my case, doesnt mean im in denial.

Old 11-23-2003, 07:30 PM   #15
Inactive

ForgetMeKnot HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLnuTTy
He has never even shown signs of oral herpes,and yes, we still engage in unprotected sex.... if oral is type 1 and genital is type 2, how can someone with type 1, give someone type 2? Its not possible.

U said how "its not possible", but it is, and was in Devastated's case. And it's not that she said that it turned into type 2 it was still type 1 but on the genital tissues..and No one ever said u were romp'n around unprotected either, unless ur just paranoid, and had to say that.

And

You are not reading things thoroughly, because no one said that it is very contagious or that cuz u have coldsores and give oral to someone they are going to automatically break out with herpes, they can still have it in their body though, we both mentioned that it was RARE, but Possible for a break out from type one to the genitals.

And like Devastated said people can carry things and not show symptoms.

Oh and p.s. teens arent the only ones that can be in denial.

Closed Thread