It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Teens Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2003, 07:08 PM   #1
(female)

Mandilyn HB User
oral sex?

I would like to know if you can catch an STD from oral sex?

Old 12-04-2003, 10:01 PM   #2
(female)

hhsix HB User
Re: oral sex?

Yes, you can. Someone else can be more specific for you, it's WAY past my bedtime, but it is possible.

Posted in case you needed an answer in a hurry.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2003, 11:00 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

devastated HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandilyn
I would like to know if you can catch an STD from oral sex?

YES, if the person giving the oral is infected orally with any STD, it is possible, and very likely. Also, if the person giving has herpes orally (coldsores), which 80% of the population over 14 years of age has (but only 20% of those infected actually get the symptoms of coldsores), then it is possible for that person to infect the receiving party with genital herpes. This can happen whether there is a coldsore present on their lip at the time, or not, although it is most likely to be transmitted while a sore is present.

Old 12-05-2003, 01:43 PM   #4
(female)

Mandilyn HB User

would if the person who is receiving oral sex is infected with an STD, can the person whos giving the oral sex catch something from that person? can you catch all STDs from oral sex or just a certain STD?

Thanks for the replies tho.

Old 12-05-2003, 04:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Magnetic HB UserMagnetic HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandilyn
would if the person who is receiving oral sex is infected with an STD, can the person whos giving the oral sex catch something from that person? can you catch all STDs from oral sex or just a certain STD?

Thanks for the replies tho.
Yes. All STDs can theoritially be passed from giver to reciever and and reciever to giver. The odds are less than with vaginal intercourse, but it happens everyday.

The one giving is susceptible to getting an STD orally. Oral gonorrhea is rare, chalmydia less so, HPV is unlikely, but molluscum and HIV and HSV are easily transmitted.

The one recieving is a little less at risk as the odds of having an oral STD are lower, but they are quite susceptible to HSV.

While few people use protection for oral sex, it is a very wise thing to do. I advise both partners to wash both before and right after sex (including oral), and if either partner notices any unusual sores, wart-like things, bumps (though many bumps are safe) or discharges, to forego sex or, at the very least, use protection.

Closed Thread