It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Teens Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2003, 11:02 AM   #1

Lilbunnyfufu HB User
Question Can Birth Control be traced?

Hi. I would like to take birth control. I was wondering if birth control can be seen in a blood test, urine test...etc. My mom is a doctor. She always looks at my results when I go to the hospital (which is whenever I need anything because it is so easily accessible). Is there a way for me to take BC and keep it hidden? If I were to get sick and take a blood or urine test, would she find out? Thanks

Old 12-13-2003, 12:38 PM   #2
Veteran

strand3d HB User
Re: Can Birth Control be traced?

Why don't you just ask your mom to put you on the pill? if she's a doctor then she will easily see the benifits of going on the pill (regulating your period, making cramps less painful, etc). I don't know whether or not it can be traced in urine, but if you get ill you need to tell your family doctor you're on the pill, its very important not to hide your medications from a doctor when you're sick. I'd say you should talk to your mom about it, its just easier not to lie all the time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2003, 11:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Magnetic HB UserMagnetic HB User

It is not something that typical blood tests check for, so I doubt she would find out this way.

Old 12-15-2003, 05:22 PM   #4

Laurenmarie179 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilbunnyfufu
Hi. I would like to take birth control. I was wondering if birth control can be seen in a blood test, urine test...etc. My mom is a doctor. She always looks at my results when I go to the hospital (which is whenever I need anything because it is so easily accessible). Is there a way for me to take BC and keep it hidden? If I were to get sick and take a blood or urine test, would she find out? Thanks
Ive taken two different brands of pills--both of which said to tell the Dr/blood test people if you are on the pill--which makes me think it would show something or change the test somehow. Tell your mom youre having horrible cramps or make up some story if you have to in order for her to be "ok" with you being on it.

Old 12-15-2003, 07:03 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Magnetic HB UserMagnetic HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurenmarie179
Ive taken two different brands of pills--both of which said to tell the Dr/blood test people if you are on the pill--which makes me think it would show something or change the test somehow. Tell your mom youre having horrible cramps or make up some story if you have to in order for her to be "ok" with you being on it.
Well, you want to disclose all of your health history to your doctor, but standard blood tests or blood pressure tests will not be able to tell if you are on BC or not. I don't like kids hiding things from their parents, and I fear that kids will think they don't need condoms if the female is on BC, and the odds are good her parents will discover the truth by finding the pills.

I might note that if a blood test is ordered to check her hormones, the pills might be detectable.

Old 12-15-2003, 10:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota HB User

Like Magnetic said the pill changes the hormones. So my guess would be YES they would notice it....But I'm not a doctor either

Old 12-16-2003, 09:09 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User

The pill will not show up on standard blood work.

No, it would not even show up on a pregnancy test.

Are you trying to put it across that your mom, a doctor, who sees all kinds of funky things that are NOT PRETTY all the time, like twelve year olds getting pregnant, would not want to see her doctor taking birth control to be safe?

I can't help but feel that you're somewhat undermining your safety by not being mostly honest with your mom about the pill.

Closed Thread