It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Teens Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2003, 09:27 PM   #1

cute chick HB User
no condom but the pill

Just a quick question. My boyfriend and I were messing around and then more things started to happen, we had sex without a condom. Im on the pill, I've been on it for over 2 months, do you think Im okay???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2003, 10:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User
Re: no condom but the pill

Why are you on the pill if you don't think it's protecting you from pregnancy?

Better question:

Why aren't you using a condom if you think your pill is ineffective?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2003, 10:42 PM   #3

aMuse HB User

wrin. i used to be on here awhile back. gosh i can't even remember how long ago. And i just have to say. I love your posts. You're so great :-) Good to see you're still here.
As for the original poster. I agree with wrin. If you're on the pill you need to know what it's doing for your body. If you're in a semi-sexual relationship, you should make sure you're ready for any situation that might arise, make sure someone has a condom...
I think too many teens jump into sexual relationships not knowing whats really going on and not prepared. god it erks me.

Until Next Time...

Old 12-17-2003, 01:20 AM   #4

t-dash HB User

I find it funnier when doctors prescribe birth control to young girls to control their hormones and or acne and the girls think its the kind of birth control that keeps them from getting knocked up, haha they get a nice wake up call

t-dash

Quote:
Originally Posted by aMuse
wrin. i used to be on here awhile back. gosh i can't even remember how long ago. And i just have to say. I love your posts. You're so great :-) Good to see you're still here.
As for the original poster. I agree with wrin. If you're on the pill you need to know what it's doing for your body. If you're in a semi-sexual relationship, you should make sure you're ready for any situation that might arise, make sure someone has a condom...
I think too many teens jump into sexual relationships not knowing whats really going on and not prepared. god it erks me.

Old 12-17-2003, 03:00 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User

I don't mean to say that the pill is ineffective, but why on earth would you ask that question?

I mean, presumably, you're literate like me, and presumably your pharmacist is not operating out of a cardboard box, and dispensed some literature with your medication. Also, presumably, you are not telepathically thinking this out onto the magic intarweb, you're using a computer with an internet connection, and thusly also have the power to research this yourself.

Why are you asking the opinions of strangers who have read the same literature you have? If I ask a duck if the is a duck, and the duck does not answer, does that mean the duck is not a duck?

Silly questions can easily be solved with a little research.

Old 12-17-2003, 04:53 PM   #6

cute chick HB User

sorry for asking. i thought the point of these post were to help people out. i've read information on it. I just thought it'd be safer taking the pill as well as using a condom. I guess it was a dumb question, but I was just double checking.

Old 12-17-2003, 05:41 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Magnetic HB UserMagnetic HB User

It is not a dumb question and seeking reassurance is never bad. It might be that some people her are giving you trouble because, well, it is a little late to be asking this question - you should have thought about that _before_ you decided to have sex (and I hope you have been thinking about STDs, too).

I keep harping that only mature people should engage in sex, and a sign of maturity is being able to understand the consequences of their actions. It is easy to have sex. It is difficult to deal with what might result from sex.

Old 12-17-2003, 06:41 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User

Well you would assume right -- and really, you're intelligent enough to realize that! You don't need other people to reassure you that using a condom AND the pill is going to be better than the pill alone!

Give yourself some credit. Freaking out about this sex thing makes it unenjoyable.

Old 12-17-2003, 06:47 PM   #9

t-dash HB User

I used to harp too, it doesn't do any good. Better just to answer the questions and possibly advice them on how to go about things more cautiously.

I'm a guy so I'm no pill expert but it takes 1 month for it to start working, you've been on it for 2 so thats okay, but the pill fails sometimes so its not 100% safe (for getting knocked up, I assume you know it does nothing for STDs), It is 0% for pregnancy if you mess up taking it, no matter how safe you are there's always the chance you'll catch something or get knocked up, so best just to be prepared to handle the situation when and if it arises.

Going without a condom is usually ok if you know your partners sexual background, or if both were recently tested for STDs.

t-dash
might want to set aside a couple hundred dollars for an abortion energecy fund if you're in your lower teens and are very sexually active. Unless you're against that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnetic
It is not a dumb question and seeking reassurance is never bad. It might be that some people her are giving you trouble because, well, it is a little late to be asking this question - you should have thought about that _before_ you decided to have sex (and I hope you have been thinking about STDs, too).

I keep harping that only mature people should engage in sex, and a sign of maturity is being able to understand the consequences of their actions. It is easy to have sex. It is difficult to deal with what might result from sex.

Old 12-17-2003, 06:55 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute chick
i thought the point of these post were to help people out. i've read information on it. I just thought it'd be safer taking the pill as well as using a condom. I guess it was a dumb question, but I was just double checking.
It's not a dumb question at all, that's exactly what these boards are for. As for why it's not a dumb question, considering how many people post here saying "I don't trust the pill alone, that's why I still make my bf wear a condom..." or when people tell you to "double up" and use two methods... you'd actually think the pill didn't work! Don't let any snotty comments put you off the boards.

As far as the 'safer' aspect of using a condom as well as the pill, remember that the pill doesn't protect against STDs, so that's the main reason women on the pill would still use a condom. (In other words, they're using the condom for all 'round protection, and the pill for backup to the condom.)

Now for t-dash's comment about the birth control for acne or cycle regulating not being the same kind as regular pcp: it IS the same kind. It's not like they're going to make birth control that doesn't work. They wouldn't call it birth control.

Old 12-17-2003, 07:05 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User

To clarify: I never meant to come across as it was a dumb question in the first place, merely to point out that it was kind of silly to freak out about it. You know just as much as everyone else on this board knows about the pill, namely that it's only 99% effective and that the pill plus a condom is a better idea than the pill alone.

Freaking out about "Will I be okay" takes fun out of the whole act of sex, and the point that was being made by Magnetic et al is just that you know what you're doing, you know what the pill is doing to your body, asking strangers for reassurance .. yeah, it's a quick fix, but you can't keep running to other people for a quick answer when you think you're in trouble.

Sex is all about responsibilty -- take the responsibilty to go and research it on your own -- is 99% okay? Are you comfortable with that? I can't tell you if you're comfortable with that -- I don't know about your comfort levels. Some people are. Some people aren't. I know some people may think it's snotty of me to tell you to be responsible for yourself and to not look for quick answers, but the reason behind it is that I see you doing the same thing I used to do when I first started having sex -- immediately being terrified that what I was doing was screwing up some tiny semantical detail and wanting to quiz everybody about it.

There's lots of books about empowerment and it's no wonder. You empower yourself by seeking out knowledge yourself without asking somebody to automatically provide it for you -- the internet makes this super-easy these days. You can go to the site of the maker of your particular brand of birth control pill and read information specific to that particular pill. And isn't it so much more satisfying to have thought it out for yourself and to know confidently than to have been told by a stranger offhand and to know only by assuming they're right?

Have confidence and comfort enough to seek the information out for yourself. Trust me, you'll feel so much smarter and safer when you find the answer without somebody handing it to you.

Old 12-17-2003, 08:22 PM   #12
Veteran

strand3d HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-dash
I find it funnier when doctors prescribe birth control to young girls to control their hormones and or acne and the girls think its the kind of birth control that keeps them from getting knocked up, haha they get a nice wake up call

t-dash
all birth control prevents a woman from becoming pregnant, even if its prescribed for acne. hence why its called BIRTH CONTROL.

Old 12-17-2003, 08:24 PM   #13
Veteran

strand3d HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-dash
I used to harp too, it doesn't do any good. Better just to answer the questions and possibly advice them on how to go about things more cautiously.

I'm a guy so I'm no pill expert but it takes 1 month for it to start working, you've been on it for 2 so thats okay, but the pill fails sometimes so its not 100% safe (for getting knocked up, I assume you know it does nothing for STDs), It is 0% for pregnancy if you mess up taking it, no matter how safe you are there's always the chance you'll catch something or get knocked up, so best just to be prepared to handle the situation when and if it arises.

Going without a condom is usually ok if you know your partners sexual background, or if both were recently tested for STDs.

t-dash
might want to set aside a couple hundred dollars for an abortion energecy fund if you're in your lower teens and are very sexually active. Unless you're against that.
It does not take the pill a month to work. It takes the pill one week to become effective if you start it sunday after your period starts, and if you start the pill the day of your period, its effective right away, no need for a back up method.

Old 12-17-2003, 09:59 PM   #14

wondertwin44 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by strand3d
It does not take the pill a month to work. It takes the pill one week to become effective if you start it sunday after your period starts, and if you start the pill the day of your period, its effective right away, no need for a back up method.
I was told it would be effective a month after taking it, but to wait at least two to be safe. It's better to be safe than sorry.
Game over. I had to accept the fact that in life some women are simply better and no amount of shoes or lack of pastry or making of pies will change that. I will never be the woman with the perfect hair who can wear white and not spill on it and chair committees and write thank you notes. And I can't feel bad about that.
Carrie, ~SATC~

Old 12-17-2003, 11:06 PM   #15
Veteran

strand3d HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondertwin44
I was told it would be effective a month after taking it, but to wait at least two to be safe. It's better to be safe than sorry.
Two months is overkill. You can read your info packet that comes with your pills, it will reinforce what i've already told you. There's nothing wrong with using two methods of birth control. But the fact is, if you start the pill when you're on your period, the longest you need to use a backup for is one week.

Closed Thread