It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Teens Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2004, 06:39 PM   #1

cursive21 HB User
teen pregnancy....fertility...

About a week ago my girlfriend and i had sex. Everything went fine untill i went to pull out (btw i used a condom) but when i pulled out the condom seemed to be broken. I am sure that i did not fully ejaculate inside of my partner but there was sperm outside of the condom and not at the base. My girlfriend says that her period starts at the beginning of the month and this event occured. Now here is my question. What are the chances of her becoming pregnant? I am not too familiar with periods and all that i am only 17. Any help at all would make my life that much better.

Old 01-02-2004, 06:40 PM   #2

cursive21 HB User
Re: teen pregnancy....fertility...

This event occured on the 28th of december

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2004, 06:49 PM   #3

flesh_of_daisy HB User

At the top of the page there is some great info posted. Its called pregnancy info for teen, something of the sort. It can probabley answer most of your questions.
The only advice I can give is to wait untill her peroid and if it dosent come, do a pregnancy test.
Hope everything turns out well

Old 01-03-2004, 02:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Magnetic HB UserMagnetic HB User

Typically, the week before and week after a female's period are her safest days. It sounds like you are within that "safe" window, but if something happened to delay her period or something, she might right now be pregnant. I would place the odds as being low, but had you written on the 29th, we would have suggested she get emergency birth control just to be sure. It is too late for that now.

You need to try to figure out what went wrong so this won't happen again. Was her vagina drying out and the resulting friction caused the condom to tear? If so, invest in a good lubricate (i.e. Astroglide) to use in the future. Did you use an old condom, or one that you had been carrying around in your wallet, or one that has otherwise been subjected to extreme temperatures? Condoms need to be treated with loving care prior to use - so store and use them properly.

Old 01-03-2004, 03:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnetic
Typically, the week before and week after a female's period are her safest days.
NO, don't listen to that. The week after a woman' period takes you right up to her ovulation! If you want to be foolish enough to trust the rhythm method, then at least get your dates right. There are 4 weeks in a woman's cycle, the start of her period is the start of her cycle, 2 weeks later, in a perfect world, the woman ovulates which means it's unsafe for a certain amount of time before and after this event, how long depends on who you listen to (re. how long sperm remains viable and how long the egg lives). Even if you only give it 2 days on either end, that still overlaps by one day with Magnetic's claim that the week after her period is safe (assuming a 5-day period, even worse if it's longer). The 'safest' time would be at the exact opposite point of her cycle from ovulation: exactly 14 later, which is the day she should start menstruating.

All that said, the chances are lower in this case because the date was close to her expected period start date, but there is never a guarantee. (btw, I didn't get what you meant when you wrote "...and this event occurred", did you mean she did get her period?)

Old 01-03-2004, 11:13 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota HB User

I'd say low....if she's stressing that might throw her off...

But having sex just a few days before the period is due shouldn't put you in the 'at risk' catagory....

I'd also suggest using another method of BC....whether it be spermicide or even better her on the pill...

Last edited by Dakota; 01-03-2004 at 11:13 PM.

Old 01-04-2004, 02:03 PM   #7

cursive21 HB User

just to let u guys know shes not pregnant and thanks for the help. I will know better next time

Old 01-04-2004, 04:16 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Magnetic HB UserMagnetic HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisby
NO, don't listen to that. The week after a woman' period takes you right up to her ovulation! If you want to be foolish enough to trust the rhythm method, then at least get your dates right.
Given a 28 day cycle, where ovulation occurs on day 14 and the menstrual flow starts on day 1, and given a typical sperm life of 2 days, intercourse up to day 10 or 11 is "safe". Not very wise, of course, and given that sperm can occasionally live 3 and maybe even 4 days, and that ovulation can sometimes occur on day 12, and sometimes periods get messed up for other reasons, I am in total agreement that using the rhythm method of bc is foolish. However, the question concerned the odds of pregnancy, and the odds where ejaculation occured during the 1st and 4th week of the cycle are certainly lower than during the second and third weeks. We can nitpick on whether the 2 week "safe" period should be centered around day 24 rather than day 1.

Old 01-04-2004, 04:36 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnetic
Given a 28 day cycle, where ovulation occurs on day 14 and the menstrual flow starts on day 1, and given a typical sperm life of 2 days, intercourse up to day 10 or 11 is "safe". Not very wise, of course, and given that sperm can occasionally live 3 and maybe even 4 days, and that ovulation can sometimes occur on day 12, and sometimes periods get messed up for other reasons, I am in total agreement that using the rhythm method of bc is foolish. However, the question concerned the odds of pregnancy, and the odds where ejaculation occured during the 1st and 4th week of the cycle are certainly lower than during the second and third weeks. We can nitpick on whether the 2 week "safe" period should be centered around day 24 rather than day 1.

Still not accurate. Even with a 28 day cycle doesnt mean the girl will O on day 14. That is only an average and rarely does it fit even half the women out there.
Also sperm tend to live more along the lines of 3 to 5 days with up to 7 days being normal. Also some girls can O as early as day 8 or 9. Go to the pregnancy baord and ask someof the ladies on there how many have gotten pregnant from having sex during or shortly after their periods.
I suggest any and all read the book Taking Chrage Of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler. The main reason being so girls can learn more about their body that the so called averages that so many tend to want to go by. Secondly the book gives so much useful information for any and all girls/women.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Closed Thread