It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Teens Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2004, 07:17 AM   #1

carapo HB User
Don't Be Embarassed ! Rectal Exam TOO???

I had not been to a doctor since I was 12. At 17 I had a one night stand and the sex was unprotected and unplanned. I was afraid to go and get ECP until my friend talked me into it. Her dad is known to be the best GYN in the area but since I spend so much time there I wasn't comfortable about seeing him or him seeing me!!! Fear overtook me and I arranged to see him. I didn't know sexual health for a woman was so involved. He examined my ears, nose & throat my neck. The breast exam was the most embarrassing for me as my boobs are big. He also showed me how to do a monthly self breast exam. He examined my abdomen and then He did a urine test,blood tests. With my feet in the sturrips he examined my vagina and did some kind of cultures to check for STD. When he inserted the speculum it hurt a bit but when he inserted his fingers it hurt more as he discovered I have a cyst on my ovary that needs watching. I thought that was the end of my embarassing afternoon but no... He also did a rectal exam when he did the pap. Have any other teens had a rectal exam when they went for a GYN exam???? I wasn't expecting that at all!!! I left the office with ECP, samples of Condoms, Birth Control INFO, a prescript for BCP's , pamplets to read , a return appointment for 3 months to check out that cyst. I started my period so I know I was not pregnant but now instead of feeling like a used fool I feel like a responsible young woman . Don't let embarrassment kepp you from being sexually healthy. THe first time to the DR is the worst He has seen it all before.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2004, 12:49 PM   #2
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User
Re: Don't Be Embarassed ! Rectal Exam TOO???

i cant say that i have ever had a rectal exam when i went to see my gyn...was there a nurse present at the time you were examined? anyway i am not questioning his authority just trying to help...and i agree no one should be nervous going to the gyn is just a normal part of female life....i also have cysts...but from what i hear they are normal as long as they donít progress and i know that birth control pills are supposed to help get rid of them....

Old 01-03-2004, 01:18 PM   #3

carapo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Winnie~
i cant say that i have ever had a rectal exam when i went to see my gyn...was there a nurse present at the time you were examined? anyway i am not questioning his authority just trying to help...and i agree no one should be nervous going to the gyn is just a normal part of female life....i also have cysts...but from what i hear they are normal as long as they donít progress and i know that birth control pills are supposed to help get rid of them....
Yes there was a nurse present at all times. I was actually kind of embarassed that she was there but she was a big help when it came to all the BC stuff.
THe Doc did say lots of girls have cysts that don't cause them problems

Old 01-03-2004, 02:01 PM   #4
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User

well as long as the nurse was present i dont think anything was out of the ordinary

Old 01-03-2004, 02:31 PM   #5
(female)

tpopescu HB User

Yes, mine included a rectal exam when I was 19 or 20. Some doctors are trained differently or a little more thorough; there's nothing to worry about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Winnie~
well as long as the nurse was present i dont think anything was out of the ordinary

Old 01-03-2004, 03:47 PM   #6

super fluke HB User

maybe it was an extra precaution due to the suspicion of a possible STD due to the terms of your visit or something to do with the cyst he found?

Old 01-03-2004, 04:11 PM   #7
(female)

tpopescu HB User

My doctor said it was usually just to check for abnormalities such as polyps or cysts. It's actually very very quick and easy. My mother and sister have both had them done on exams too (and they live in another state) so some doctors do check this with regular exams. One out of my six gynos did this and she was the most thorough and best one I've ever had so it sounds like you were in good hands. I think more doctors should check this just to be on the safe side.

Old 01-04-2004, 12:17 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota HB User

Though I'm not a teen I've never had a rectal with my exams....

Though I've switched my GYN and have an appointment later this month....I am a bit nervous she's gonna want to do a rectal.

But oh well I'm sure it's just like all the rest...done and over with before ya know it LOL

Closed Thread