It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Teens Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2004, 07:11 PM   #1

SCottyBabe HB User
Age/Consent/Legality

I am about to turn 16 and my boyfriend will still be 15 for a few months. During this time, I know it will be illegal to have sexual intercourse with him (it violates statuatory rape laws) but I was curious as to if anything else is illegal. I was told once that it is illegal to touch genitalia or the area in any way if you are "legal" and the touchee is not. Any information to clear this up? TIA

Last edited by SCottyBabe; 01-05-2004 at 07:12 PM.

Old 01-05-2004, 07:16 PM   #2

jamesk HB User
Re: Age/Consent/Legality

[i dont know what the laws are untill 16 is the age in my state that you can Consent to sex. to me sex means anything sexuall but i dont know if the law looks at it the same way. i dont see any prob. when i turned 18 my g/f was still 15 almost 16 .but of corse her parents liked me and trusted us to do what was right if we did have sex she is now 18 so it is not an isuse anyhow..i dont think you will have ant prob long as you safe

Last edited by jamesk; 01-05-2004 at 07:17 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2004, 07:37 PM   #3

supastar33 HB User

the laws vary from state to state. but i think usually it means any form of sex whether it be intercourse or oral. do some searching on the net, i'd give you an address but it will be deleted cuz you can't do that on here. but anyways, just use a search website and type in legal age of consent or statutory rape. you'll be able to find something about your state and it's laws.

Old 01-05-2004, 08:00 PM   #4
Inactive

Calixte_Silas HB User

While the laws do vary from state to state, you have two things in your favor.
1) The authorities rarely prosecute offenses of the nature unless the parents press charges.
2) Usually the parents don't press charges unless they are upset about the relationship (don't like who the child is dating) AND it's USUALLY (read: usually but not always) the females parents doing the prosecuting of an OLDER boyfriend not vise versa.

Old 01-05-2004, 08:05 PM   #5

aMuse HB User

its kind of odd that you worry so much about that with it just being a years difference. i'm 17 and am dating a 22 year old. and am doing everything with him but sex. and have never been worried. course his fam is a close friend of mines so i dont think my rents would ever press charges....hehe

Until Next Time...

Old 01-08-2004, 09:09 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User
I know this is an old thread and you've probably already looked up your state's laws but I wanted to comment on something anyway. (And in case you haven't, the legal age of consent in Michigan is 16 for both sexes.)

Two things: first, parents aren't allowed to give 'permission' to break a law so even if your parents don't mind, it's still illegal.

Second, sexual assault, be it statutory or not, includes everything from sexual touching to intercourse. It is not any specific act that is illegal (although some are viewed as worse than other), any contact that is sexual in any way would be an assault on a minor and thus a chargeable offense. So technically, you making out with your 15-year-old bf would be a no-no.

Anyway, those are the rules, but as Calixte_Silas said, authorities would rarely prosecute in your situation.

Old 01-08-2004, 09:12 PM   #7

t-dash HB User

Isin't the legal age 14 in Canada? Yipes.

t-dash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisby
I know this is an old thread and you've probably already looked up your state's laws but I wanted to comment on something anyway. (And in case you haven't, the legal age of consent in Michigan is 16 for both sexes.)

Two things: first, parents aren't allowed to give 'permission' to break a law so even if your parents don't mind, it's still illegal.

Second, sexual assault, be it statutory or not, includes everything from sexual touching to intercourse. It is not any specific act that is illegal (although some are viewed as worse than other), any contact that is sexual in any way would be an assault on a minor and thus a chargeable offense. So technically, you making out with your 15-year-old bf would be a no-no.

Anyway, those are the rules, but as Calixte_Silas said, authorities would rarely prosecute in your situation.

Old 01-08-2004, 09:23 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User
Yup, 14.
There's a whole debate about whether that's a good or bad thing but I'll just say that statistically, having the higher-age laws doesn't stop teens from experimenting. You just end up putting kids in jail and giving them the worst kind of criminal record (rapist) without distingishing them from sexual predators...

Old 01-08-2004, 09:25 PM   #9

t-dash HB User

So... could a 14 year old have sex with a really old person and it be okay? Thats pretty ill... or is it, its only legal for 14-17 year olds, and then the next group is 18+ for sex?

t-dash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisby
Yup, 14.
There's a whole debate about whether that's a good or bad thing but I'll just say that statistically, having the higher-age laws doesn't stop teens from experimenting. You just end up putting kids in jail and giving them the worst kind of criminal record (rapist) without distingishing them from sexual predators...

Old 01-08-2004, 09:45 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-dash
So... could a 14 year old have sex with a really old person and it be okay? Thats pretty ill... or is it, its only legal for 14-17 year olds, and then the next group is 18+ for sex?

t-dash
Not quite like that.
Here's paraphrased info from the Canadian Library of Parliament:
The Canadian Criminal Code does not criminalize consensual sexual activity with or between persons 14 or over, unless it takes place in a relationship of trust or dependency. If the relationship of trust or dependency exists, sexual activity with persons over 14 but under 18 can constitute an offence, regardless of their consent. Consensual activity with those under 14 but over 12 may not be an offence if the accused is under 16 and less than two years older than the complainant. So, a 12 year old can legally have sex with a 14 year old. (In other words, the courts won't charge a 14 year old with rape and send him/her off to jail as a rapist.)

It certainly isn't perfect, but this law does look at the relationship between the parties, which I think is crucial, and doesn't criminalize extremely common teenage behavior... while still allowing for prosecution of sexual predators.

Closed Thread