It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Teens Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2004, 11:18 PM   #1
(male)

Zoider HB User
Question Baby's Blood Type?

My girlfriend has a particular blood type.. O(negative) or O(positive) I'm not quite sure. Anyway, her mother told us, that if my GF ever got pregnant and, the baby had a specific blood type my GF would need to get needles, to help be baby survive?

Does anyone know what her mother was talking about? I'm looking for an answer on the web, but I can't find one.. If anyone knowz please respond, I'd really like to know, if she was serious or not.

Old 01-31-2004, 11:20 PM   #2
(male)

Zoider HB User
Re: Baby's Blood Type?

Ok, I found it.. Thanks.

Rh sensitization

If a pregnant woman with Rh-negative blood has a fetus with Rh-positive blood, Rh sensitization is a risk. This occurs when the fetus's blood mixes with the mother's blood during pregnancy or delivery, causing the mother's immune system to produce antibodies against the fetus's red blood cells. This antibody response is called Rh sensitization and, depending on when it occurs, can destroy the fetus's red blood cells. Once sensitization occurs, the fetus can develop mild to severe problems (called Rh disease, hemolytic disease of the newborn, or erythroblastosis fetalis). If untreated, complications from sensitization can, in rare cases, lead to the death of an Rh-positive fetus.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2004, 11:47 PM   #3

undercover angel HB User
Re: Baby's Blood Type?

This only happens after the first child is born so it would happen to the second child. But there is a shot that they would give to the mother (its given to every mother with a negative blood type) that would protect the baby. Its not something to worry about. Just make sure that the doctors catch it. But as long as it is caught and delt with, there will be no problems.

Closed Thread