It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Teens Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2005, 04:49 AM   #1

secretagent007 HB User
Protecting against oral STDs

I have heard that condoms do not prevent against STDs, but if not... i thought that the point of flavored condoms was to help prevent against oral STDs such as genital herpes. I would like some clarification. By the way, (just to be safe) how would I prevent giving oral STDs if I were to eat out of my girlfriend? And how could she prevent giving oral STDs if she were to give me oral?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2005, 08:40 AM   #2
(female)

1longhotshower HB User
Re: Protecting against oral STDs

Just let me tell you that condoms DO protect from STD's esp oral. Although there not 100% effective for anything they do help. So USE THOSE. If you were to eat her out you could use a dental dam. Look up information on those.

Last edited by 1longhotshower; 03-30-2005 at 08:40 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2005, 10:53 AM   #3
(male)

write HB User

No pregnancy prevention aid (condoms, birth control, etc.) can prevent herpes, AIDS, etc. because they are viruses. The only things condoms are affective against are gonorrea and all the other bacterial STD's.
Just be careful with who and what you engage in.

Old 03-30-2005, 10:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

Yup, condoms DO prevent the transmission of STDs. Definitely. Next to abstinance, they are the best you can do.

But you have to remember that they only protect what they cover. If either partner has a lesion (herpes, syphilis) on a part that isn't protected by the condom, then whatever they have can spread that way.

As for oral, condoms or a dental dam are the only options. As for the point of flavoured condoms, I guess it's to make them taste better, thus more appealing and likely to be used for that purpose.

Old 03-30-2005, 11:24 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Arraicha HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by write
No pregnancy prevention aid (condoms, birth control, etc.) can prevent herpes, AIDS, etc. because they are viruses.
I don't know where you heard that, but condoms do prevent against viruses. Those diseases are transmitted through body fluids and since the condoms block transmition of body fluids, the disease can't be passed on. However, as it's been said, they aren't 100% effective as there's always a chance of the condom ripping, falling off or not being put on properly.

The best thing to do if you're worried about STDs is to get tested. In fact, you should always get tested before you begin sexual contact with a new partner.

Old 03-30-2005, 01:29 PM   #6

secretagent007 HB User

Thank you guys, but another question... could dental dam be replaced by something simple such as saran wrap?

Old 03-30-2005, 05:43 PM   #7
(female)

1longhotshower HB User

A dental dam is MUCH MUCH more effective than saran wrap. As strong as saran wrap may seem, it does tear easily which in this case could then cause the passing of a STD. Dental Dam's are made to stretch very far without tearing. I wouldn't recommend saran wrap honestly. Im confused though, does your partner have a std and you're worried you might get it? If so, you two might need to have a talk. Just be careful with anything sexual you do.

Last edited by 1longhotshower; 03-30-2005 at 05:44 PM.

Old 03-30-2005, 08:47 PM   #8

tcama HB User

Saran wrap actually works pretty well. Just DO NOT use the microwavable kind. Those have small holes in them. Of course, the best option would be a dental dam. And as people have said before, you and your partner should get tested.

Old 03-30-2005, 11:48 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

analog2000 HB User

You could also cut a latex glove or a condom (make it flat) and use that. It won't work as well as a dam (dams are a lot larger), but sometimes dams can be hard to find.

Good luck.

Old 03-31-2005, 07:09 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

redsoxgirl2418 HB Userredsoxgirl2418 HB User

honestly though, just out of curiousity, how many people really use condoms/dams when it comes to oral? While most people I know use condoms all the time, I have not heard of many people using protection just for oral. I would think that if you were close enough to a person to be doing that, you would have communicated with them about the possibilities of std's, and since you can't get pregnant from oral, they seem sort of pointless, at least in my kind of lifestyle...

Old 03-31-2005, 11:21 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by write
No pregnancy prevention aid (condoms, birth control, etc.) can prevent herpes, AIDS, etc. because they are viruses. The only things condoms are affective against are gonorrea and all the other bacterial STD's.
This is very incorrect. While they may be viruses, they are not airborn viruses, and can only be transmitted via direct contact, which makes any barrier method (condoms, dental dams) a GOOD method of prevention. I just had to post again to make sure that false info like this is corrected.

Old 04-01-2005, 06:17 AM   #12

secretagent007 HB User

I am only doing this to be safe! I can talk to my girlfriend freely. I am quite sure she has not STDs but coldsores can just happen at anytime. I am just preventing myself and doing her a favor, so we do not get genital herpes or other common oral STDs.

Old 04-01-2005, 03:31 PM   #13
(female)

1longhotshower HB User

That's good to hear. I wished more people cared about little things like that instead of putting it off.

Old 04-02-2005, 11:15 PM   #14
Inactive

MarifromPR HB User

oral sex protection hmmmmmmmm........I dont imagine doing oral sex with a condom, whats that sucking rubber? yuck! I dont know what the dental damn is but that of sarah wrap sounds like I don't see how I could get excited with a man with sarah wrap on the mouth. Oral sex is exciting as it is with no protection. Just make sure you are not going to have oral sex with someone that has STD's like herpes. I would never again engage in sexual activity without proof of STD clearance. If the person is in the clear I don't see why use oral sex protection. With intercourse is different that not even the condom saves when it comes to virus like HPV.

Old 04-03-2005, 06:40 AM   #15
Inactive
(male)

last1 HB User

sucking rubber is yuuuuck? Imagine contracting gonnohrea from someone after having only oral sex. OF course, the decision is always yours. However, entering into a monogamous relationship with someone who is negative for all STDs is your only way of ensuring your own safety and health. I think your information about HPV is incorrect. Condoms are a barrier and protect partners against STDs. If HPV is contained in bodily fluids (vaginal fluids, semen, blood) in the same way that HIV is contained in bodily fluids then, as long as the condom does not come off or break, then, as a barrier to sharing those fluids you will, more than likely, remain safe. CS

Closed Thread