It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Teens Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2005, 03:12 PM   #1
(male)

nightFall05 HB User
Only 2 -3 days in a month when a girl can get pregnant??

Thats what my girlfriend told me. That she can only get pregnant like 2-3 days of each month. Is this true?

Old 05-20-2005, 03:19 PM   #2
(male)

pineapple4141 HB User
Re: Only 2 -3 days in a month when a girl can get pregnant??

No a girl can get preganant anytime as long as she isnt having her period. It is true that there are a few days, when a girl isnt having a period that the chances of getting preganant are higher- but it is actually possible to get preganant anytime while she is off her period.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2005, 03:30 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

sparkleflower HB User

Well, technically that's sort of true. She can only get pregnant while she's ovulating. However, the problem is that unless she is seriously charting her cycle (and I highly doubt she is, because it takes a LOT of time and effort, not to mention self-awareness), then she doesn't know when she's ovulating. Although generally it's around the middle of her cycle, it could literally be at any time. So, birth control is *essential* if you don't want to be a daddy :-)

Old 05-20-2005, 03:32 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

sparkleflower HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineapple4141
No a girl can get preganant anytime as long as she isnt having her period. It is true that there are a few days, when a girl isnt having a period that the chances of getting preganant are higher- but it is actually possible to get preganant anytime while she is off her period.
Actually, you certainly can get pregnant while on your period. It's generally the safest time, but it's definitely not *safe*. If you don't want to get pregnant, use birth control every time.

Old 05-20-2005, 03:42 PM   #5
(male)

pineapple4141 HB User

I have NEVER heard of anyone getting pregnant whilst on their period.

Old 05-20-2005, 04:07 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightFall05
Thats what my girlfriend told me. That she can only get pregnant like 2-3 days of each month. Is this true?
Yes, this is true. Sparkleflower has the better answer. A woman can only get pregnant when she is fertile, which is only for a few days a month and CAN include when she is still having her period.

The trick is knowing when this fertile time is and then avoiding any risky contact for quite a number of days before, during and after. THAT's where the trouble is. I'm not going to get into a long explanation but basically, a woman can only get pregnant when an egg has been released (her ovulation) and that is only about once a month.

Anyway, I'm just trying to make the statements "a woman can only get pregnant when she is fertile (egg present)", "a woman is only fertile for a few days a month", and "a woman can ovulate at any time of the month" a little clearer (don't know if I helped though!). People tend to mix and match info from each.

If you are planning on using this "only a few days a month" info as a way to avoid her getting pregnant, don't. That's called the rhythm method and it doesn't work. The casual user would have to be psychic to know in advance when she's going to be ovulating, and then avoid having sex since semen can hang around for days just waiting...

Old 05-21-2005, 04:35 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Destiny81583 HB User

If you are worried about getting you're girlfriend pregnant, my advice is to just use a condom/other form of birth control everytime you have sex. It really doesn't matter what time of the month it is...yes, there are days that you are more likely, and less likely to get pregnant, but women's cycles are so very different that the only way to be sure is to see a doctor, and that can be expensive. Just be smart and use you're head.

Old 05-21-2005, 07:41 AM   #8
(female)

BallroomBlitz HB User

it's true. when a girl ovulates, the egg only lasts for 2-3 days. the problem is that most girls don't know when they DO ovulate....so they get pregnant. a girl generally ovulates 14 days after her menstrual cycle starts again. (day 1 is when she gets her period) so on day 14, she ovulates...give or take a day.

but this is just GENERAL. every girl is completely different, and it's not good to just take a chance and guess. there are ways to find out when you do ovulate, but the ones in the store are...not 100% accurate.

Old 05-22-2005, 10:48 AM   #9
(female)

Zooie HB User

Something very important to remember... It's not just the girl who is responsible for birth control! Sperm can live up to 7 days! DO NOT take the chance, it is also important to remember that pregnancy is not the only thing to be concerned about, herpes can strike even though there are no outward signs of the disease. When you have sex with someone, you are having sex with everyone they have had sex with!!!!

Closed Thread