It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Teens Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2006, 10:25 AM   #1
(male)

Adolescent HB User
Question about Oral Herpes

Alright, well here we go:

I'm new to all of these transmitted diseases that are possible between two people, from Sexually Transmitted Diseases to just plain 'cold sores'.

I have just found out my girlfriend has oral herpies, should I be extremely concerned?

I did some research and found out ~75% of youth in my age range have contracted oral herpies (I haven't contracted it, hence the fact I'm asking about it). She told me this as if it was no big deal, or I 'wasn't supposed to find out' but I really stressed the fact if I had had a spontaneous kiss with her I could have contracted it. What I'm asking is-- whats the proper measures to ensure I don't contract the disease, or is it just one of those diseases that you'll obtain through life and theres almost nothing you can do about it (i.e. chickenpox)

Not only that, but I've read a bit on how oral herpies can cause genital herpies (from oral sex) it seems there is not much I could do about this other than checking for symptoms beforehand correct?

I'm just a bit scared since I've never been with anyone that had a transmitting disease, so I'd like to know how to handle the situation.

Thanks,

Adolescent

Old 01-02-2007, 09:27 AM   #2
(male)

Adolescent HB User
Re: Question about Oral Herpes

.. any responses would be appreciated. =/

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2007, 10:49 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

srivera HB User

The only fool proof way to not contract oral herpes is to have no contact. Herpes can be spread even in the absence of visable sores.

That being said, oral herpes are fairly common. For her to know for sure that she has oral herpes, and not just "normal" sores in the mouth/throat, she would have had to have seen a doctor and had a swab done of a sore. You can contract them through open-mouth kissing, and as you said through oral sex. If you are worried about contracting through oral sex you can either A) abstane from oral contact, or B) wear a condom for oral sex, the same as you would for any other form.

Old 01-02-2007, 03:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

keepsgoin HB User

Well if she has cold sores it's pretty much the fact that she has herpes...probably hsv1...I don't know what else causes cold sore except for herpes(hsv1 or 2). I didn't know that cold sores were herpes and I didn't know that they can be spread to genitals through oral sex...Man was I ignorant! I've learn a lot since getting genital herpes. I know many women that have cold sores and I don't know of any occasion that they have given their partner genital herpes although I know it can happen! You just have to be careful! Another thing to know is that just because you don't get cold sores does not mean that you don't have hsv 1...not everyone gets sores and not everyone that has genital herpes get sores either. It's called being asymptomatic so if you were tested for herpes you may come back possitive for hsv 1 and if that were the case you don't have to worry about catching hsv 1 from her because that would mean that you already have it. I have never gotten a cold sore but I have to believe that I must have hsv 1 because I've been exposed to it many times through kissing.

Last edited by keepsgoin; 01-02-2007 at 03:49 PM.

Closed Thread