It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Teens Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2007, 02:16 AM   #1
(male)

ctrl-alt-del HB User
Question Instant feelings of apathy and regret after ejaculation - is this normal?

I recently turned 20 years old and I have not had sex yet. I do sometimes masturbate, however, for health purposes... but as of the last few years I've observed a pattern and I have a question:

Is it normal to feel complete apathy and "feelings of guilt" after an ejaculation for men? It always happens right after an ejaculation and lasts about 5 to 20 mins. The feelings of guilt are along the lines of "what am I doing by wasting my time with this?" and "heck... why do I even need to do this? it's pointless..."

Due to those issues, I'm not sure how I will even ever have sex. I feel as if I will lose interest right after an ejaculation and due to that fact I will last maybe less than a minute. Although I'm really not sure how it goes - someone please tell me if this is a common thing to feel! Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2007, 03:00 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: Instant feelings of apathy and regret after ejaculation - is this normal?

Post-coital tristesse. That is what it is called, and from what I have heard and read, the majority of human males experience this. It is more physiological than emotional, so don't worry that you will lose interest. It may hide out for those few minutes, but will come roaring back.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2007, 09:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hairier yet.. HB User

Yes, I can identify. When I was younger I felt similar feelings after masturbation, sometimes even after sex.

I don't anymore. I think what you feel is normal to a great extent. Don't worry about it, I think it's kind of a "let down" effect, like when a woman gives birth after nine months of building up to it, or a kid, even an adult, right after the gifts are opened on Christmas morning.

You see what I'm saying. It's something that's intense and exciting and in a few moments it's all gone, making you feel like perhaps you shouldn't have done it. I believe you'll get past it. Actual sex will be better I promise you, and you'll begin to lose those bad feelings.

Don't worry, sex is supposed ro be great, and will!

-h

Old 11-25-2007, 10:11 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

AZMan07 HB UserAZMan07 HB User

This is called "Post ejaculation depression" and is a lot more common than any man will admit. When you have an orgasm, your Prolactin level increases. This increase in turn decreases your dopamine. Perhaps you have heard that some Parkinson's drugs increase dopamine and have a pleasant side effect of eliminating a man's refractory period? The sudden dopamine decrease can cause a mild depression effect. Also, a great amount of energy is expanded. Ancient peoples believed that a man's very "essence" is contained in his semen, even moreso than blood due to not only the physical but the mental "draining effect" of ejaculation. This also explains why most men lose all further interest in sex after ejaculation.

Closed Thread