It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Teens Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2007, 10:48 AM   #1
(male)

tomprime HB User
Question Testicle size and shape

I've been feeling my testicles for the first time lately. I've heard that you should examine them regularly and I thought it might be fun. Now I'm concerned and I'm having a hard time telling what is normal.

All the testicles I find on the web look different from mine. I try to especially find pictures that are related to medicine rather than sex, but I don't get anything that makes things clear.

I have not been able to find any that resemble mine. For starters, everything I have found look at least slightly bigger than mine, but that's not concerning me. I am slightly worried by the fact that my right testicle is larger and lower than my left.

Is my right testicle too big? Is my left testicle too small? How on earth could I figure that out? There is no pain in either of them unless I press too hard.

I have found the epididymis of my right testicle by feeling my scrotum and it is very sensitive. I think that's normal, but I'm mentioning it anyway.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Testicle size and shape

A little bit of asymmetry is ok. If one of them is 3 times the size of the other, that would be cause for concern, but I doubt that's the case. And, yes, they are supposed to be sensitive if pressed on hard. Getting hit there is only funny on TV.

Young men should make a habit of periodically examining their testicles by sight and touch, checking for sudden changes that could signal testicular cancer or another illness. Good for you, for doing it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2007, 09:40 PM   #3
(male)

tomprime HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1
A little bit of asymmetry is ok.
That's good to know, though not entirely comforting. It's hard to be sure how much asymmetry still qualifies as "a little bit". I guess I'm only a little asymmetric, but when I look at myself in the mirror I certainly do not look symmetric, and I don't feel symmetric. If only a little bit of asymmetry means that I'm symmetric at first glance, then I've got more asymmetry than that.

Quote:
If one of them is 3 times the size of the other, that would be cause for concern, but I doubt that's the case.
Okay, that's a relief. They are nowhere near that. It's hard to be exact, but my right one is at most twice the size of my left.

Quote:
And, yes, they are supposed to be sensitive if pressed on hard. Getting hit there is only funny on TV.
Oh, I certainly know that. I've played soccer with my friends enough to get kicked there many times. When that happens, the game is over for me. I'm on the sidelines holding my stomach for minutes and even when it stops hurting, I'm not in the mood to play anymore after that.

So yes, I'm aware that getting hit there is not funny!

Quote:
Young men should make a habit of periodically examining their testicles by sight and touch, checking for sudden changes that could signal testicular cancer or another illness. Good for you, for doing it.
Thanks for the vote of support! But I'm concerned by the thought of other illnesses. I'm pretty sure I don't have cancer because I would expect them to be more lumpy, but what are these other illnesses you mention? I've never had sex so I couldn't have an STD.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Bengie HB User

its normal for one to be slighly larger then the other and to hang lower. and its good to self examine looking for lumps and tenderness. tenderness means you just touch it and it causes pain. just gently roll them around between your fingers.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:32 PM   #5
(male)

tomprime HB User

Thanks. That sounds very comforting, but I don't see one hanging lower than the other when I look at pictures of other people's testicles on the web. I looked around a bit before asking here and I managed to convince myself that I wasn't normal.

Not everyone has to be normal, I know, and I think there is probably nothing wrong with me, but I can't stop worrying about it.

They are not painful to touch and they feel pretty smooth, so I'm not ready to get a doctor handling my testicles, but I'd like to make sure there isn't anything wrong with them.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:03 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

SpunkyStuart HB User

Relax, you sound as if your testicles are fine. It is normal for one to be larger than the other, and also hang at a different height so don't worry.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:18 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

cleansweap HB Usercleansweap HB Usercleansweap HB Usercleansweap HB User

If you're not having any pain or problems, you're fine. Those medical pictures of testicles aren't always beleivable as seeing real pictures. If you're still not convenced that we all have different sizes, and hang at different angles, then check out some real pictures of naked men. That would be safer than a locker room.LOL.. The pictures, you can view in the privacy of your own room, then toss them away when finished..

Old 12-20-2007, 03:00 AM   #8
(male)

tomprime HB User

Yeah, okay. I guess I'm convinced. Maybe I am normal.

But I guess it's also normal for me to wish that I was more normal than I am. As normal as you tell me I am, I'm still not the most normal. I would definitely appreciate being a lot more normal.

Is it too much to ask for my testicles to be the same size?

Old 12-20-2007, 01:41 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomprime View Post
Is it too much to ask for my testicles to be the same size?
Not really, but it's sort of indulging in the same futility as a woman wanting her breasts to be the same size. Rarely happens. Humans just aren't perfectly symmetrical beings.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:41 PM   #10
(male)

tomprime HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisby
Humans just aren't perfectly symmetrical beings.
Yeah, I know, but just look at testicles on the web. A quick web search gives you quite a few photos and they all look pretty symmetrical to me. Even when they aren't exactly even, they sure are a lot more even than mine!

I guess the real futility is the fact that there is nothing that I can do to make my testicles the same size. That's true after all, isn't it? There's no chance of ever having some surgery or anything. Testicles are too delicate for that sort of messing around.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:49 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Bengie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomprime View Post
Yeah, I know, but just look at testicles on the web. A quick web search gives you quite a few photos and they all look pretty symmetrical to me. Even when they aren't exactly even, they sure are a lot more even than mine!

I guess the real futility is the fact that there is nothing that I can do to make my testicles the same size. That's true after all, isn't it? There's no chance of ever having some surgery or anything. Testicles are too delicate for that sort of messing around.
There is a medical condition that causes one to hang lower then the other, but it is extremely painful and you would know if you had it. That requires surgery to fix.

I'm sure you could go to a plastic surgeon and get them to make them hang the same way but that would cost a lot (insurance doesn't pay for cosmetic surgery unless an injury causes it) and the risk associated with that kind of thing aren't really worth it.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:41 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

Just how uneven are yours? I imagine it would be pretty hard to detect differences in testicle sizes just from images on the web unless one was significantly larger (like over half an inch). Is that how much difference you have?

Also, if you're worried about what a partner would think, they won't be performing an exam on you, doing exact comparisons (like you're doing). Would you do that to your partner? Humans are also so much harder on themselves than any (nice) partner would be .

Old 12-21-2007, 02:03 PM   #13
(male)

tomprime HB User

Quote:
Just how uneven are yours? I imagine it would be pretty hard to detect differences in testicle sizes just from images on the web unless one was significantly larger (like over half an inch). Is that how much difference you have?
Mine are uneven enough that you can see it without looking very closely. I admit that I'm more aware of it now that I've noticed it, but looking in a mirror I am sure that anyone would see it with any more than a passing glance. I'm honestly not sure how I failed to notice it until I did my testicle exam. I guess I just assumed that they were normal until I had reason to think about it.

It's really awkward to measure, but holding my testicles up against a ruler, I'd say that a half-inch is at least the difference between them. And the difference is less than an inch. It's somewhere in that range, I'm pretty sure.

If the size difference were not enough, my right testicle is about an inch lower than my left.

Quote:
Also, if you're worried about what a partner would think, they won't be performing an exam on you, doing exact comparisons (like you're doing). Would you do that to your partner? Humans are also so much harder on themselves than any (nice) partner would be .
Well, to be honest, I absolutely would perform an exam on my partner! I wouldn't mention the results, but after all these years without intimate access to a woman's body, how could I resist my curiosity? I would take every opportunity to study every inch of her, just to know all the details.

In fact, I am very curious about the details of female genitals. The pictures I see don't begin to satisfy my curiosity in that area. I would like to know how they feel, the structure as it appears to my fingertips rather than just my eyes, and how a woman moves down there when animated rather than just in a photo.

So, yeah, I'd probably make a pretty detailed exam. And I am worried about what a partner would think of mine. I don't expect that she would make an issue out of it, but I'd be horrified if she did.

Old 12-21-2007, 02:07 PM   #14
(male)

tomprime HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengie View Post
There is a medical condition that causes one to hang lower then the other, but it is extremely painful and you would know if you had it. That requires surgery to fix.
That gives me a devious and crazy idea. I could pretend to be in pain so that insurance would pay to have them fixed. Yeah, I'd never do that, but it's a thought. I'd really like to get these fixed.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:01 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

cleansweap HB Usercleansweap HB Usercleansweap HB Usercleansweap HB User

Not a chance, insurance companies aren't that easily fooled.LOL.. Look at it this way: If they were perfectly even, then you wouldn't be normal, and then you would wonder why yours looked deformed like the web pictures, and not like all the other guyes! Hey, there are times when they are even! When ever we get into cold water, both testicals shrink up, drawing closer to our bodies for heat! At this point, their about the same size. Also, think how manly you look with one hanging lower than the other.LOL..

Closed Thread