It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Teens Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2011, 05:55 PM   #1
(female)

maddymoo3315 HB User
Unhappy Pelvic Exam......

Hey...im a teen and i am really scared cause i have to get my first pelvic exam next week. im really uncomfortable. i hate tampons and all my friends have been using them since they got their periods. i hate the feeling of something being put up there in the you know what area...im sooooooo scared and my mom isnt making my sister get one and she is like a year older than me and she has had sex...but she is on birth control and her bf used a condom and she hasnt gotten pregnant but she hasnt gotten an exam....I JUST NEED ADVICE!!!!!:confused:

Last edited by Mod-S4; 01-15-2011 at 12:54 PM.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:04 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Pelvic Exam......

Why are you getting a pelvic exam? And honestly, you'll have time alone with the gyno and his/her nurse beforehand so just tell them you do not want the exam. You can't be forced to have one if you don't want it and there is no overriding medical reason that your parents could legally insist on it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2011, 02:20 PM   #3
(female)

Lily2005 HB User

Well, I don't think any woman really likes this kind of exam. But it's part of growing up and taking responsibility for your reproductive health. It's certainly awkward and a little uncomfortable, but not really painful. It's important to have a doctor to answer questions about female issues and birth control. It's also important to have regular PAP tests -- I don't know if you've had the HPV vaccine but you can ask about that, too. Good luck!

Old 01-15-2011, 08:21 PM   #4
(female)

maddymoo3315 HB User

im only getting one done because i have a family history of cancer in that region and my doctor wants to make sure that my cells are normal

Last edited by maddymoo3315; 01-15-2011 at 08:22 PM.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:55 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Hi Maddymoo,

We are here to help. Having a family history of cancer "down there" is a very good reason to start early and maintain testing on your doctor's schedule. That is the most responsible choice, and since early detection is so important, this is a very important step in your life.

This procedure is very quick, and your doctor and nurse will be doing everything to make your experience the easiest they can. You will be covered up with a paper sheet and your privacy is always respected. From start to finish it may take 3 minutes.

The best way to get through this is to remember to breathe, relax and it will be over with before you know it.

None of us like these kind of exams, but they are part of your woman's health care. If you want your mother or your sister to be in the exam room that is ok too. They can stand at your head, and would not see a thing, but could hold your hand if that would help.

Once you get through this first one, you will be an old pro. All women have had to do this, just one of those less than pleasant things we have to do, it is right up there with going to court, the DMV and other duties we have no choice in.

Please let us know how it goes, and the other young women who might be reading along and going through the same thing.

You can do this !

I always encourage everyone I write to remain calm and keep a positive attitude. You can choose how you want to think about this, and other things in your life. If you want it to be a good experience, simply design it to be a positive event. (You can do this with any situation).

For example, if it were me going to my first pelvic exam with my mom, let say... My appointment was at 11 am. I would get up and wear a really cute outfit (add a new cute little new accessory) Get your outfit picked out, and shop for the accessory the week before,. Sleep in on the day. Get up in time to get the cute outfit on. Go to the appointment. Since it is now almost lunch time, plan lunch with your Mom. Pick a restaurant, or make a picnic. (None of this stuff needs to be expensive). Enjoy a great lunch and go home or back to school.

See how that works? You can make any unpleasant experience into a positive one, with a little planning. Make your life fun!

Wishing you the best!

Old 01-18-2011, 06:15 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

resolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB User

Be prepared for the possibility that the nurse may (and probably will) stay in the room during the exam. Unfortunately doctors need to protect themselves against the possibility of lawsuits. My doctors started doing that about 8 years ago and the first time I was not prepared and it bothered me. I've changed doctors since and this second one also has the nurse stay in the room.

Just an FYI so you won't be surprised or think it's unusual if the nurse stays.

Closed Thread