It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Teens Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2011, 09:59 PM   #1
(female)

Slipunderpark HB User
Help.

I'm 16 yrs old. I turn 17 in 2 weeks. I'm on birth control pills. I will be on birth control pills for one year as of June 13th. My boyfriend and I are in a long term relationship, almost 2 years now, and we do not use condoms since I'm on the pill. My past 4 periods have been weird. Before that, they were completely normal. When they started being weird, they were dark red blood, and each period it got darker. They also ended a day or two early(They've always been 5 days), and they always start on time. Never late. The period I'm on now is pretty much black blood, thick, and not light, yet not heavy. It comes out in large quantities though only when I'm standing up or walking. I haven't had any cramping except the cramping I always get on the first day. My boobs have not hurt except the week before my period which has always happened. I get frequent headaches. I'm a very emotional person so I have mood swings all the time, even away from my period. That's happened for years. A couple weeks ago, I started feeling nauseas at night time, and I threw up twice that night. The night after, I felt sick again but didn't throw up. And after that, I was fine and I haven't been nauseas since. I haven't been diagnosed with any illnesses but I get very depressed for no reason at random times, I'm stressed out all the time. I haven't noticed any weight gain but I have been paying very close attention to it and how tight my clothes fit me.
I'm wondering, could I be pregnant?
I need help with this. Any factual information will be helpful.

Other info: I have either taken pills late, or missed one or two in every pack that I've had since I've been on birth control, except for the pack that I just ended. I didn't miss any or take any late in that pack.
Thank you for any help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Bob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB User
Re: Help.

Birth control can change the characteristics of the period. Depending on the type of birth control, different changes occur. I would suggest talking to your doctor about this to see if these changes are normal for this type of birth control. In this day and age, doctors have many different brands of birth control to choose from. Your doctor may be able to switch you onto a different one that causes less side effects.

In response to your question about being pregnant, I do not know the answer to that. Since you have your period, you are most likely not pregnant but that is not a guarantee.

I hope you can find some answers and feel better.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bob652 For This Useful Post:
Slipunderpark (02-20-2011)
Old 02-20-2011, 10:07 AM   #3
(female)

Slipunderpark HB User

Thank you. The period I just got off of, it started out almost black, and the last couple days it was normal color. And it ended on time, not early.
I am waiting two weeks to take a test, just to be sure.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:08 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User

If you're suddenly finding that your monthly bleeding is different from what it has been at previous times on the pill, then you should go back to the doctor and explain this problem. Perhaps you need a different prescription, for a different type or dosage of pill.

You say that these changes have been going on for four months.
If you were four months pregnant, you'd almost certainly know. You'd have a pronounced, hard belly by now, which would certainly be noticeable to you, even if you were still able to disguise it from others with loose clothing. You'd be almost done with the "nausea" phase of pregnancy, not just beginning it.

I doubt you're four months pregnant, although you might be one month pregnant, in which case the pregnancy is unrelated to the unusual bleeding that's been going on for four months now.

If you miss or skip pills, then oral contraception is going to be ultimately ineffective. If you're not pregnant now, you will be eventually.

I suggest seeing a doctor, explaining the problem, and asking about a different form of contraception, one which doesn't require you to remember to take a pill at the same time every day.
You can also get a pregnancy test while you're there.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 02-23-2011 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Unnecessary comments/arguing removed.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:01 AM   #5
(female)

Slipunderpark HB User

Actually, pills DON'T stop periods. The depo shot does. You can have a period without ovulation. I would know, I've been on the pill long enough to know and I don't think my doctor is stupid enough not to know if pills stop your period or not.
Just because I've missed pills or taken them late before, doesn't mean I can't take them the right way. I have a life, therefore, there will be times where I won't be able to take my pill, such as when I'm working. So don't assume that I can't take the pill right, because I can.
I will be going to the doctor soon and talking to him about it if my pills are what is messing with my periods.
Thanks.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:41 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB User

missing or skipping pills can lead pregnancy. My best friend found this out with her first son. Just be careful. You may want to consider another form of BC or using condoms when you miss a pill. Also, taking antibiotics while on the pill can cause it to be ineffective so always be sure to use a condom when taking antibiotics.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:02 PM   #7
(female)

Slipunderpark HB User

I guess my doctor is stupid then, right? It depends on the type of pill. The pill I take does not stop my periods. I HIGHLY doubt my doctor would tell me that I will still have periods when I really wouldn't. Come on guys, common sense. And if you know your stats, hormonal methods are MUCH more effective that barrier methods. So, a ring, or sponge, or anything like that would increase pregnancy. I know my facts. I know that antibiotics reduce the effectiveness. I know that drugs do as well. I didn't post on here for people to tell me things I already know. I was just looking to see if anyone could help me get a better idea on the chances of me being pregnant before I take the test.
And if I am pregnant, I don't have to keep it. So an unplanned pregnancy can be easily taken care of. It's not a big issue for me.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:56 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB User

what kind of pill are you taking????

And nobody is calling you or your doctor stupid. I added my antibiotics statement because from what I read, you mentioned skipping pills and then asking if you could be pregnant. If you asked about this, then I felt it necessary to mention the antibiotics statement, not just for you, but for anyone else who may be reading this thread and never knew that. If I can save one teen from an unwanted pregnancy, then I am going to do it.

Last edited by Belly Kelly; 02-23-2011 at 12:09 PM.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:26 PM   #9
(female)

Slipunderpark HB User

Well, you obviously don't know that even people who take the pill PERFECTLY can still get pregnant. It's not like taking the pill perfectly is gonna mean you can never get pregnant. So, even if I have taken my pills perfectly, I would STILL have a chance of being pregnant.
I take my pills at 8pm sharp every night. When I say I take them late, I mean within 2 hours after 8. Out of the months that I have been on the pill, I have only "missed" 2 pills. And that was within the first 2 months of being on them. Taking pills late does not mean that they do nothing to protect me from pregnancy. They are only a little less effective if taken late or even missed.
I don't "need" a different form of birth control. The one I'm on is just fine. I may just need to switch pills because the ones I'm on now are screwing with me.
And it does have to do with "having a life" because I have a job. I work from 4-11 every night on school nights and my break isn't til 9 so if I'm busy with something at work around 8, when I take the pill, well, I won't really be able to until I'm done with whatever I'm doing. I didn't come here to be criticized about me taking my pills. I came here to ask about the possibility. That's ALL.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:28 PM   #10
(female)

Slipunderpark HB User

On the nights I don't work, I take them on time. It's not that I "forget" to take my pills. I have never forgotten.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:43 PM   #11
(female)

Slipunderpark HB User

They are criticizing me on my pill taking. Telling me I can't take them correctly and such. I have a job and I work most nights so I can't always take them on time. It's not me forgetting, it's me not being able to.
And yes, I already know what they're saying. Like I said before, I posted on here to be informed about the possibility if me being pregnant. Nothing else.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:56 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

then YES - given everything you have said, you could be pregnant. You didn't say what brand of pill you are taking so people can't answer your other questions.
Best of luck to you.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 02-24-2011 at 04:53 PM.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:43 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

You're probably pregnant. With those symptoms? The nausea, the throwing up, the type of bleeding you're having? I wouldn't even bother with a pregnancy test at this point, just go find an ob/gyn.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 02-25-2011 at 07:33 PM.

Closed Thread