It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Teens Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2011, 01:17 PM   #1
(female)

leetara HB User
Vulva? Labia?

Are the vulva and the labia the same? if not what is the difference?

Old 02-15-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: Vulva? Labia?

The vulva is the entire external genital organs for a woman. The vulva is made up of different parts, including the labia majora, mons pubis, labia minora, vestibules and the opening of the vagina.

The labia is commonly referred to as the lips around the vagina, one set being on the outside and larger (the majora) and one being tucked inside and smaller (that being the minora).

So in a nutshell the labia is one part of the vulva. Hope that helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
(female)

leetara HB User

Thanks....I guess I SHOULD be studying the more anatomy!!! I have been trying to ready myself for sex and the whole process was scarey until I started talking to some folks on the boards. I have been sharing all my concerns and findings with my partner and I feel we are ready to see what happens when we have sex instead of always stopping before the big event. If I had written these words 1 week ago I would have been shocked... but we are optimistic that we are as ready as can be.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User

Yeah, "labia" is just the lips- inner lips are "labia minora", outer lips are "labia majora".

"Vulva" refers to everything external.

Both words are uncomfortable to me; I don't know about anyone else.
I don't much like any of the slang words either, though.
"Vagina" is the most comfortable thing for me to say, in reference to my sex organs... but it's inaccurate, since it really just refers to the internal stuff.

I don't care, though. it's what I feel comfortable calling it.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:39 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Leetara, I am so happy to hear that you have gained the knowledge and confidence you need to make the move towards your first sexual encounter. If only every man and woman took the time and care that you are, how much better the world would be!

There is absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about, and we all have gone through the period of questions and concerns at some time. We are happy that you have the trust to ask us, when the time comes, you will surely have a positive and loving memory of this turning point in your life.

Closed Thread