It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Teens Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #1
(female)

kayylove123 HB User
Birth control question?

Okay.. so I am a young teen and I was wondering about talking to my mom about birth control. And what I say right now is the honest truth, and as mature as possible. I have really heavy periods.. (Like I will bleed through a super tampon in a matter of a couple of hours) and they are really irregular too. Sometimes I will have them twice a month, sometimes they will be 7-8 days long, and they are never at the same time. I have really bad cramps, too the point where it hurts to stand up. But I don't know how my mom is going to take this or how to talk to her about it? I have a boyfriend and I really don't want her to think I want to start on it because I have sex. Because that REALLY isn't why. But I know she will take it that way? Anyways, I just want some honest opinions, and maybe some advice on talking to her about it?
Thanks!

Last edited by Mod-S4; 09-10-2012 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Please read the SPECIAL RULES sticky at the top of the board.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User
Re: Birth control question?

Sorry you haven't gotten any replies yet. This is a tricky one.

I couldn't tell for sure from your post if you are actually having sex with your boyfriend or not. It sounds like it, and if you are having sex with your boyfriend then THAT is much more important than your periods and that is why you should be going on the pill (I assume you also don't want to get pregnant, not just ease your period pain).

If you're having sex with your boyfriend, you have to be mature enough to talk to your mom about getting on the pill. If you want to go the 'it's for my periods' route, give it a try. She might be happy living in denial

And if you really can't do that, try Planned Parenthood or look for another clinic in your area.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2012, 01:22 AM   #3
(female)

LauraLauraLaura HB User
Re: Birth control question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayylove123 View Post
Okay.. so I am a young teen and I was wondering about talking to my mom about birth control. And what I say right now is the honest truth, and as mature as possible. I have really heavy periods.. (Like I will bleed through a super tampon in a matter of a couple of hours) and they are really irregular too. Sometimes I will have them twice a month, sometimes they will be 7-8 days long, and they are never at the same time. I have really bad cramps, too the point where it hurts to stand up. But I don't know how my mom is going to take this or how to talk to her about it? I have a boyfriend and I really don't want her to think I want to start on it because I have sex. Because that REALLY isn't why. But I know she will take it that way? Anyways, I just want some honest opinions, and maybe some advice on talking to her about it?
Thanks!
I had this exact problem when I was about 13. Instead of being direct to your mum about the whole birth control thing, you could approach it in a different way?

For example, tell your mum that you have heavy and irregular periods etc and ask her if she will come with you to the doctors. The doctor will most likely give you information about birth control options as it will effectively control heavy and especially irregular periods. That way, the doctor has suggested this to you and your mum instead of you suggesting it if that makes sense? That way, she might not be as worried about you being on birth control for other reasons. Hope that helps!

Closed Thread