It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Women Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2002, 12:22 PM   #1

MeiRenInside HB User
Exclamation Discharge......

Okay, I always have vaginal discharge but I always have A LOT of it. Like I'm wet 24/7 or something! It gets all over my underwear and everything...It's crazy..... am I like constantly on the verge of an orgasm and just never finished or something? I really don't know what to do about it..... and it's stinky. Well, to me anyway. Is there anything out there I can get to dry myself up? Sorry this is kind of unpleasant but I have to ask someone right? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2002, 01:10 PM   #2

girlfrom3doorsdown HB User
Stinky?

Well I am wet 24/7 also....but mine smells, well, kind of good and sweet....If yours is stinky you may have an infection....how long have you been this way? If it's just normal discharge and you find it irritating, use a pantyliner and change it often through out the day.....If it's something new you should get checked out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2002, 01:27 PM   #3

MeiRenInside HB User
It's always been this way. I don't know if it's stinky to other people, I just dont particularily like the smell. I don't know what it's supposed to smell like. And are you wet wet all the time? Like gets on your underwear and such wet? Pantyliners are so uncomfortable and annoying to change..... there isn't anything I can use to dry it up?

Thanks a lot for replying.

Old 10-24-2002, 02:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

maryett HB User
If you've always had it then it must be normal. Mine has a smell too but I don't mind it, it doesn't smell horrible or anything. Believe me I hate it also, it does get on my underpants if I don't wear a panty liner and I'm sick of wearing those nappies every day. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/hammer.gif

As I said in my discussion about this a while ago, if you really can't stand it any longer then you can have an operation for it (but it often comes back). You could also try researching herbal supplements to see if there's anything that might help there.

BTW it's called "leukorrhea" if you want to do a Google search on it.

Old 10-25-2002, 12:05 AM   #5
Inactive

mlgable HB User
When you had your last pap/pelvic exam did you mention to your doc about your excessive discharge? I am sure he/she would have checked for an infection if he thought their might be one. If the doc isn't aware of your discharge and the odor does bother you then you may want to see the doc just to be on the safe side.

Old 10-25-2002, 12:50 PM   #6
Inactive

Hezza HB User
Hey!
I have the same problem, and panty liners feel like diapers! (I don't know what wearing a diaper feels like but I'm sure it's quite similar.) It's the worst thing ever. The smell isn't nice but it's not horrible. And yes, I have been checked for it. I don't have an infection of any sort, so I guess I'm just one of the unlucky ones. Of course, certain times of the month are worse. Usually the week after my period. Anyone else notice a time that it happens more frequently?

------------------
A good friend is someone who will bail you out of jail.
A best friend is someone who will sit next to you and say "That was fawkin' awesome!"

Old 10-25-2002, 02:38 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

maryett HB User
The discharge is constant but the middle of the month seems to be the wettest for me. Yuk

Old 10-25-2002, 04:58 PM   #8

MeiRenInside HB User
Smile

Thank you all so much for responding! I feel so much better now... I always thought that maybe there was something wrong with me because I was so wet. I also though it was just me. Now that I know that other people have it too I won't worry as much.

Thanks a bunch!!!

Old 10-26-2002, 02:52 AM   #9

paulb HB User
Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by mlgable:
When you had your last pap/pelvic exam did you mention to your doc about your excessive discharge? I am sure he/she would have checked for an infection if he thought their might be one.
Quite so, but the problem from the doctor's point of view is that what he (or she) sees, more often than not bears no connection with your complaint - or lack of it, unless it is an obvious case of an offensive (smelly) discharge that was not there before.

It's so much "in the eye of the beholder". The doctor may be slurping around in a pool of white, gooey stuff with the speculum, sometimes having to swab it out even to get a view, whilst the lady may claim "no complaints", or (s)he may just as likely find it virtually dry when there is a complaint of discharge. In fact, quite often when a discharge is noticed and a swab shows Gardnerella (almost as common as "Thrush"), the lady has no complaints at all.

So, doctors have to treat on the complaint as much, perhaps more than on what they actually find, either by eye or microscope.

In summary, if you've always been wet and "passed" the occasional exam, then that probably is normal. You might not particularly like the normal smell, but your partner may love it (or again, he may not - that also varies from person to person). Probably no harm in seeing the doctor and to avoid wasting his time, telling him exactly what concerns you, every aspect, and how much. That is - whether it's new or has been there "always", whether your concern is whether it's "normal" or not, or that you would like rid of it even if it is normal (probably a tall order though), and the corresponding expectation about the smell.

Some women have what has historically been called an "erosion" of the cervix, nowadays re-named an "ectropion" or simply, pout which is a much more correct description - the cervix is pouted and consequently shows the delicate (may even bleed if scraped) interior mucous-secreting lining to the acidic vaginal environment, becoming irritated in consequence and producing copious mucous to repel the acid.

If you add to this the surge of (stringy) mucous in mid-cycle due to ovulation when the mucous is altered to permit the entry of sperm through the cervix, then it will be more profuse at this time - unless you are on hormonal contraception because no ovulation - no mucous surge. Ergo, hormonal contraception, especially the injection, might be one means of "drying it up".

An "ectropion" can be removed by cauterising - the lining that re-grows is non-mucous-secreting - but whilst this treatment (also used for some abnormalities found on Pap smears) is not too likely to cause other problems, most (ethical) doctors are a little reluctant to perform procedures when there is no actual disease present.

And that is only effective where the discharge is primarily mucous. If it is not mucous from the cervix, but simply vaginal secretions with all the normal bacteria, that is not at all easy to alter (some women have it even after hysterectomy).

I presumably don't have to mention that this vaginal wetness is actually useful in some respects.

Single most important suggestion: If and when at all possible, Don't wear pants!

[This message has been edited by paulb (edited 10-26-2002).]

Old 10-26-2002, 02:54 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

maryett HB User
Thanks for your comments Paul, as usual you provide some very informative comments.

As for contraceptives, I am taking Diane and it's as if I'm NOT taking it, because I have all the monthly symptoms like more mucous in certain times of the month, breast tenderness and pimples before the period arrives, etc. The pill hasn't cleared up mucus at all. And it hasn't cleared up my pimples, as it's supposed to do. I really wonder whether this stuff is working for me.

And as for wetness being an advantage, I am one of those people that DON'T get wet when aroused, in fact I have to use lube as it's very uncomfortable otherwise.

I wear "nappies" because I can't stand it wetting my underpants; if I don't wear pants then it'll just go all over my clothes!

Old 10-26-2002, 07:37 PM   #11

paulb HB User
Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by chinchilla:
As for contraceptives, I am taking Diane
OK, so that is an "oestrogenic" pill.

Quote:
and it's as if I'm NOT taking it, because I have all the monthly symptoms like more mucous in certain times of the month, breast tenderness and pimples before the period arrives, etc. The pill hasn't cleared up mucus at all. And it hasn't cleared up my pimples, as it's supposed to do. I really wonder whether this stuff is working for me.
It certainly doesn't! Oestrogenic pills would provoke, rather than suppress, breast tenderness, but are certainly supposed to help pimples. If it is suppressing ovulation - and you certainly hope it does, then you may get more mucous as the cycle progresses, but you should not get the mid-cycle "surge" which indicates ovulation.

You probably will just need to continue some other assistance with the pimples, such as topical benzoyl peroxide or retinoid, and/ or tetracycline by mouth.

Quote:
And as for wetness being an advantage, I am one of those people that DON'T get wet when aroused, in fact I have to use lube as it's very uncomfortable otherwise.
You're a crock! Too many things to fix!

Quote:
if I don't wear pants then it'll just go all over my clothes!
Yes, well if you sit much of the time or wear jeans/ pants, it would be difficult for sure.

Old 12-13-2002, 01:03 AM   #12

FlighSkaterChic8 HB User
Smile

I have the same thing..doctors say its completely normal so dont worry about it!~

Old 12-13-2002, 12:54 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User
LOL, the comment about the no mid-cycle surge I suppose, I'm not sure, paulb.

Are you talking volume, or consistency? I'm taking Alesse, I'm sure you know what that is (monophasic levonorgestrel/ethinyl estradiol) and I always have a change in consistency, mid-cycle. Usually goes clear and snotty, then white and creamy, but volume builds and builds until I actually go on the rag, whether I like it or not.

Old 12-16-2002, 11:13 AM   #14
lethargic1

I had the same thing. My doc checked it out and told me it was hormones, not to worry. Its a little uncomfortable at times to be wet like that. Well, not to be gross, but my man goes crazy for that. So, there is an upside to it.

Old 12-16-2002, 12:43 PM   #15

MeiRenInside HB User
Unhappy

Thanks everyone for your posts. My discharge smells though. Bad. I always notice it, very strongly, and I don't know if others do and don't say anything or don't. How do I get rid of the awful smell??

Closed Thread