It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Women Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2003, 02:51 PM   #1

!natashaishere! HB User
Question Masterbation..can it affect periods?

Hi!
My daughter who is 12 asked me this the other day:
If you masterbate before you've started your periods, can it affect your periods, lik, not make them come or something?
I honestly didnt know the answer, and still dont, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
thanks
tash
xx

------------------
-(`v)-,.-~*`*~-.-(_t$h_)-,.-~*`*~-.-(`v)-

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2003, 03:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

normorcrazy HB User
That's an interesting question. I don't know either, but I wouldn't think so!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2003, 03:47 PM   #3
Veteran

UF baby HB User
No, I don't think masturbation affects menstration. I've heard on this board though that if a woman has sex before her period is due it will provoke it to start. I think that has to do with jolting the uterus but I could be wrong.

Old 06-08-2003, 04:51 PM   #4

brightstar HB User
I've heard that masturbation during your period can help alleviate cramps, but I don't think it affects when you period starts.

Old 06-08-2003, 11:18 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
My experiences of masturbation were well before the age of 12. I had my first period at 14 and NO, masturbation and periods have nothing to do with each other, they neither delay it nor bring it on nor prevent it altogether. I never have had cramps or pms so wouldn't know whether they alleviate those.

Considering everyone is an individual, maybe others have had other experiences.

Old 06-08-2003, 11:21 PM   #6
Inactive

short-stuff HB User
I actually have had the experience that it seems to bring mine to an uncomfortable halt - that then seeps out the remainder.

Course I'm a bit "older" and probably getting to the perimenopause time but I have noticed that effect.

Old 06-09-2003, 03:56 PM   #7

deliciousmess HB User
Well...masturbating, especially to orgasm, causes contractions down there, right? I'm not sure if these are utery contractions, I'm thinking they're more vaginal. But anyway, if I masturbate and it's say, a day before my period, it usually brings it on a bit earlier, and I think it's because of the contractions from the orgasm. Pushes the blood and that down a bit quicker. It makes me bleed a bit more if I masturbate while I'm actually on my period too. It also helps get rid of cramps, which, by itself is a pretty good reason to masturbate!

Old 06-10-2003, 05:55 AM   #8

eleno4485 HB User
consider yourself extremely lucky, audrey-b! no cramps! you are so fortunate...they are definately a hassle to deal with when they're strong...the only good thing about them is they're a suttle reminder that the period is coming...that and i can sometimes get out of doing something by saying i'm cramping and don't feel like doing anything

Old 06-11-2003, 10:53 PM   #9

rach923 HB User
Wink

well, if i do it during my period, i can usually get everything out cause the contractions and lube make everything just kidna fall out, and i can usually get it over with in five days! woohoo!

rach

August 1999: diagnosed with GERD and IBS...put on zantac, then aciphex
Spring 2000: diagnosed with TMJ...have lower splint
September 2000: hospitalized for failure to thrive due to malnutrition and dehydration; fed with ng tube for 3 months, put on prilosec
2001-02: developed chronic sinusitis/rhinitis from NG tube, put on nasonex and allegra
January 2002: switched GI's, diagnosed with hiatal hernia, switched to nexium, added peppermint oil, put on bentyl PRN for pain, zoloft for nausa
March 2003: IBS getting worse, switched PRN bentyl to BID levbid ER
May 2003: diagnosed with asthma from GERD, put on advair and singulair, albuterol PRN
May 2003: back pain and limited mobility, caused by 2002 car accident and dance injury, unidentified
April-June 2003: minor ear irritation and hearing problems, and extra sinus swelling, unidentified
May-June 2003: heartburn recurring even with meds!- GI put me on 40mg Pepcid Rx in the morning and at bedtime...Seems to be holding over till August...
July: chest x-ray came back, found mild thoracic scoliosis, and small "heart shadowing", EKG results are coming...

Old 07-13-2003, 09:58 PM   #10

BouvierPup HB User
Question

I was wondering this myself. My last period ended 6 days ago. Today, surprise, surprise, I felt the need to "entertain" myself. (I need a boyfriend) Somehow I managed to have one of the better orgasms I've had masterbating....however, several hours later, my stomach started to hurt like I was starting my period and then I had some spotting... I think that's all over now...stomach still hurts a bit, but I'm confused....why was I spotting? I dont think I hurt myself.

This is the first time that's happened to me...

Old 07-13-2003, 11:46 PM   #11

klayr HB User
Hi! Orgasm affects the uterus, that's true, but it doesn't affect a woman's overall timing. Uterine contractions can affect a woman who is already at the age of menstruation and is in the right time of her cycle. However, the ovaries are not affected by the act of orgasm. Does your daughter already have periods? And when she explores herself, is she actually having orgasms? I would think that would be a little farfetched, as many women don't figure that one out for a few years. I love that your daughter comes to you with such questions. Keep that communication going. Good for you!

Old 07-15-2003, 03:06 AM   #12

deliciousmess HB User
Lol, most women don't figure out orgasms for years? Is this true for most women? I know that I had no problem, and I don't think most males do either. Why can't women "figure them out"?

Old 07-16-2003, 12:01 PM   #13
Veteran

jessilynn68 HB User
LOL I think young males have problems noticing anything else except their own orgasm. I know I was orgasming (?) by myself long before I did with a partner. I don't know that I did as young as 12, but as long as she is doing it by herself, and not being sexually active at her age, I see no problem. And I have never seen a link to my periods either - whether its making them start early, or "getting it all out sooner" - never heard that one before, or lessening cramps, whatever. And kudos to you for not freaking out. My mom never told me anything, so good for you! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif

[This message has been edited by jessilynn68 (edited 07-16-2003).]

Closed Thread