It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Women Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2003, 01:54 PM   #1

Kaia_27 HB User
Red face Fever Blisters

This morning, I noticed a small red bump on the side of my mouth. I think it's a fever blister. I wasn't worried because I've had them occasionally before. My friend saw it and mentioned that fever blisters can be a sign of herpes! I know that they can be caused by oral herpes, like from kissing, but she was talking about genital herpes. I'm nervous because I had oral sex with my boyfriend earlier this week. Could he have genital herpes that is not visible, and could he have given it to me through oral sex? Help please, I'm worried!

Old 08-23-2003, 05:50 PM   #2
Inactive

mlgable HB User
If you have had cold sore aka fever blisters before it is not unusual to get them again. Everyone has the herpes virus in their system but it does not show up as something like a fever blister/cold sore for all people. Since you have had them before you didn't get this from your boyfriend but you do need to be careful since these are contagious and you don't want to spread it to your boyfriend. Be sure to wash your hands well anytime your hands are by your mouth and no kissing or oral contact until it heals. Shingles is another common problem that is also caused by a herpes virus.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2003, 06:08 AM   #3

Kaia_27 HB User
Thanks!

Old 08-24-2003, 03:48 PM   #4

Kaia_27 HB User
I have another question! Can anyone recommend an otc treatment for my fever blister? I bought some Campho-phenique at a convenience mart today, and didn't see the expiration date 8/03 before I got it. After I return it, I'm going to the drugstore. Most of the stuff I saw at the convenience mart was for pain/discomfort. It's not painful or anything - I want to heal it faster. Any ideas? TIA

Old 08-24-2003, 04:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Magnetic HB UserMagnetic HB User
Check out the herpes board for suggestions. Olive leaf extract and oil of oregano are highly touted for their relief.

Old 08-24-2003, 08:54 PM   #6

Tax HB User
Cool

Don't worry... I got blisters now and then since I am two years old... I usally get blisters when I am stressed out or emotional down. About a month ago I got two very bad ones and with me and my husband trying to cope with the hormones we got oral sex to... I am not worried... If he never got blisters before the chances is very low that he will ever get blisters... The medication I get for it was real good... The blisters is related to genital herpes but IT IS NOT!...

The only real good tip I can give you since I got it for years... keep it dry with like make-up foundation... when it just startes...don't rub it at all...it will spread - getting bigger - and even cause another one! Leave it..!!!!

Good Luck....Ask your doctor for zovirax

Old 08-25-2003, 07:05 AM   #7
(male)

cjaffee HB User
Zovirax is very good to help the blister run its course much faster and less severe. There are some over the counter versions of it as well. Lysine is a vitamin that will actually help in the prevention of them as well.

[This message has been edited by cjaffee (edited 08-25-2003).]

Old 08-26-2003, 04:52 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

devastated HB User
Lysine helps supress the herpes virus, so you could add that supplement to your diet. Also, doctors are now prescribing Valtrex for cold sores also. Fever blisters/Cold sores ARE herpes. They mean that you are infected with the herpes virus (usually type 1 if it is orally) orally. It does not, however, mean that you have genital herpes. If someone has herpes orally, i.e., fever blisters/cold sores, it IS possible for them to give their partner genital herpes by performing oral sex on them if their body is shedding the virus. This is how I got genital herpes. Herpes can be spread this way even if symptoms (the coldsore/fever blister) is not present, because the body sometimes sheds the virus without symptoms. If you still have any questions, come check out the herpes board.

Old 08-26-2003, 04:59 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

devastated HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by mlgable:
Everyone has the herpes virus in their system but it does not show up as something like a fever blister/cold sore for all people.
Actually, this is not true. Not everyone has the herpes simplex virus in their systems. It is, however, estimated that 80% of the population is infected with HSV1 (the herpes virus that is usually the cause of cold sores, but can also cause genital herpes), and it is estimated that at least 25% of the population has genital herpes (whether type1 or type2). So, it is still a very large percentage of people who have it, albeit not 100%. It is also reported that about 80% of people with herpes have no idea that they have it, as some people never get symptoms or get symptoms so mild, they don't notice it or realize that the symptoms are herpes, believing it to just be a rash, razor burn, yeast infection, jock itch, etc. If you are positive for hsv1 or hsv2, it is still possible to spread herpes to others even if you don't get symptoms. Males are more likely to not get any visible symptoms.

Closed Thread