It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Women Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2003, 08:21 AM   #1
(female)

raspberry HB User
Question hymen's purpose?

what is the purpose of a hymen? why do we have it if it tears eventually (also normally causing pain and blood). it really does make me think that if there is a god he's definatley a man!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2003, 09:08 PM   #2
Inactive

mlgable HB User
During mammalian development, the female reproductive system arises with the formation and coalescence of the Müllerian Ducts to form the Fallopian tubes, uterus, and vagina. At their posterior end, the Müllerian Ducts do not open into the urogenital sinus, but rather they form a tubercle at the presumptive opening of the vagina. During the development of the uterus and vagina, these organs are separated from the urogenital sinus by an epithelial plug which eventually thins and perforates to form the hymen.

The hymen is simply the vestigial membranes of the vagina and urogenital sinus at their point of fusion. During development of the mouth, a similar vestigial membrane occurs, called the oral plate, which ruptures as the mouth continues to form. As a vestigal organ, it is difficult to place an adaptive purpose on the hymen. The evolution of a system is the sum of positive selection, negative selection, and no selection, i.e. if a structure is not detrimental to the system, it is usually maintained, even if it serves no purpose. If there is no evolutionary pressure against incomplete fusion of the vagina and urogenital sinus, then the structure persists as a vestige of the Müllerian Ducts. To my knowledge, all marsupial and placental mammals have this structure, so there is probably no specific courtship advantage to virginity, and its persistence throughout Mammalia suggests that there is no disadvantage, or it would have disappeared long ago.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2003, 03:18 AM   #3
(female)

raspberry HB User
so its kinda like ur appendix, we don't need it but it doesnt does us any harm (unless of course it ruptures! ouch!) so evolution is just leaving it where it is?

Old 09-03-2003, 04:05 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
Thanks for that info mlgable. I've never queried why we have a hymen, but it's interesting.

Raspberry.....Losing your virginity is different for everybody. I never bled at all and it never hurt. Helps to be relaxed and with somebody you trust and to be mentally and physically ready for it and not to be having sex solely b/c all your friends have had sex or b/c your boy friend is pressuring you into it.

Old 09-03-2003, 04:15 AM   #5
(female)

raspberry HB User
not quite sure how you deduced i was talking bout losing virginity?!! i lost mine years ago so i wasn't asking a question bout will it hurt?!!!

Old 09-03-2003, 07:08 AM   #6
Inactive

JadeaFaith HB User
We won't know what evolution is doing with it for a good few...perhaps million years.
I doubt evolution is just 'leaving it where it is' but of course evolution doesn't just suddenly change a body part, it takes millenia to make that change.

Closed Thread