It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Women Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2003, 12:29 PM   #1

flower31 HB User
Thumbs down HELP: Chronic/Recurring Yeast Infections

Hi, I'm looking for some help from anyone in dealing with my recurring vaginal yeast infections. I'm 23 years old and have been dealing with yeast infections for the past 15 months. I feel tender and pretty disgusting and my sex life has suffered a lot because of this. I've been to see a couple of doctors who have prescribed me a lot of drugs over the past year (diflucan, terazol, monostat, canesten, nystatin, sporanox, nidagel, caprilic acid, lactobaccilus) and have put me on special diets. The over the counter stuff would get rid of it when this all first started, but now even the prescription drugs don't do much. I'm going to see a new doc (gyno) in 4 months (the earliest I could get in!), but I'm wondering if anyone else has been dealing with this and what they might have taken to get rid of it? I need a solution now, this is driving me crazy!

Old 08-23-2003, 05:46 PM   #2
Inactive

mlgable HB User
First off be sure the docs are testing you for yeast as many infections can have similar symptoms. Next be sure they test you for diabetes since diabetics are more prone to yeast infections. Also remember to eat plenty of yogurt with live active cultures or take acidophillis capsules routinely. Be sure you wear only 100% cotton underwear and if possible leave your underwear off at night. Avoid tub baths, hot tubs and bath products like bubble bath. Do not sit around in a wet bathing suit. Do not use tampons until you are sure you are over your vaginal infections. Do not douche without a docs ok. Also if you sexually active be sure you partner gets treated too in case he is harboring the bacteria and passing it back to you. One thing that may help is to douche with tea tree oil but check with your doctor first before attempting this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2003, 05:56 PM   #3
Veteran

strand3d HB User
I don't think eating yogurt is really going to help or prevent a yeast infection. The bacteria in yogurt is killed by the stomach when it is digested, so it won't really do anything if you eat it.

But what you can do is buy normal plain yogurt and insert it into your vagina. Like the above poster mentioned the active cultures kill the yeast infection, and can help to prevent them from coming back. If you have a little vaginal cream insertion thing, that can be a really good way to insert the yogurt into your vagina. It's best to do it at night, right before you go to bed, and wear an old pair of underwear so that if it leaks out it won't go all over your cute underwear.

Old 08-24-2003, 01:05 AM   #4

Joodles HB User
I feel your pain. I had recurring yeast infections for almost a year that just ended 3 months ago. I would get them at least once a month, and often bad enough that it hurt even to walk around. It put a huge damper on my sex life, made me feel like crap and was very very frustrating. Turns out, now that I'm off BC pills, that it was the pills causing them (or at least encouraging them).

Anyway, I started these steps about 6 months ago, and am still using them just in case. I don't wear underwear when I go to bed. I use unscented, soap-free body wash. I use unscented, clear laundry detergent. I don't go swimming, hot tubbing, or take baths. I switched to O'My lubricant (which has been shown to help prevent yeast infections) instead of other water-based lubes. And I stay away from oral sex. Some of this may seem over the top, but for anyone who's dealt with the discomfort and hopeless feeling of a recurring infection, these steps are totally worth it to me.

I hope your new gyno can figure something out for you. Have you tried boric acid suppositories? I got some at a compounding pharmacy, and anytime I even THINK I feel an infection coming on I use one. Messy, but any itching is gone and so far it's held off infection for me. Good luck, whatever you try!!

[This message has been edited by Joodles (edited 08-24-2003).]

Old 08-25-2003, 06:01 PM   #5

lisab HB User
okay,I delt with this for like 2 years. Im 27, and I thought my sex life was really over. So, I said screw the doctors, and I went to my vitamin store. First I started with a "yeast cleanse", b/c they said you have to get all of your impurities out that may be causing them. Then I read this article about this stuff called Grapefruit Seed Extract. From what they said Dr's in poor countries were giving this stuff to people with fungal problems from the water and such. I swear, I drink this stuff everyday and nothing, no yeast,no burn, nothing. ALSO, I take acidolophis EVERYDAY. B/c the good bacteria it gives you fights future bacteria from forming. Its also good for preventing UTI's. I know it all sounds too natural, but when doctors run out of answers you find answers for yourself. Why do you think theres vitamin and natural stores anyway? Dr's have mislead alot of folks.

Old 08-26-2003, 06:18 AM   #6
Inactive

Shel1974 HB User
Flower,

I totally feel your pain. I've had mine on and off for 2 years or more, but pretty much straight since this past February. It's sad to say, but some days I think about jumping off a bridge. I feel frustrated and very very sad. I have tried everything that you have mentioned and the other posters mentioned (except the last poster's suggestions which I will try!!). I feel like a failure as a wife and I really really miss my sex life. I am not on any kind of birth control, so I guess it's just my hormone's that are naturally out of whack. Geeez, just writing this post is making me cry...

If you ever find a cure, let me know!!!!!!!!!!!

~ Shel

Old 08-26-2003, 06:20 AM   #7
Inactive

Shel1974 HB User
Lisa, where did you get the grapefruit seed extract? And when you say you drink it every day does that mean it's a juice, or what??

thanks.

Old 08-26-2003, 04:53 PM   #8

lisab HB User
You can get it from any heath food store...The name of the company is GSE, I guess for grapefruit seed extract. It comes in pills, but get the liquid. I swear by this stuff. I drink it...like 15-20 drops in water or juice. And it really tastes terrible, but if you drink a cup of it, go to the bathroom, you can immediately tell the difference from the outside. Eventhough, its not good to douche, you can even douche with this stuff. If I have full fledge yeast, I wont douche b/c I dont want to push the yeast any further, but if on the onset of irritation, douche away. See, my thing was is I got one every month after my period. So, if yours is like clock-work you know when to start drinkin up. My doctor was no help through my crisis. I finnally told him about this stuff,he said "if it works" but Doctors never know about "alternative medicine". They just give medicine, and dont care about the emotional effects. When you do go to the vitamin store, ask if they have any brochures on it. Dont go to GNC though,they dont carry it. You know, if your gonna do the natural approach, Garlic is a really good antifungal and natural antibiotic. I used it for a while, but then I just stuck with the GSE.

Old 08-27-2003, 06:23 AM   #9
Inactive

Shel1974 HB User
Thanks!! I am going to buy some on Pay day tomorrow

I am currently on my 11th day of the Terazol creme, but sitting here at work I still feel a bit irritated. Although it might be from the light days pads I wear to catch the cream. I am also taking AZO Yeast tablets, and of course Acidophilus. I am feeling VERY depressed. Like I'll never be cured. Our cruise leaves in 17 days and I am so scared I'll get a reoccurence then, especially since I'll be getting my period during the cruise. I am SO SICK of dealing with this EVERY MONTH. I don't understand why some doctor can't find a magical cure even to just get rich........

Thanks for your help

Old 08-27-2003, 04:59 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

MrsLee HB User
I want you all to know I empathize with you. I seem to get a yeast infection every time after my period (which usually lasts about 10 days by itself) so I know how this can make you sad and depressed and ruin your sex life. I got married 2 months ago and had YI my wedding night.
Anyways, thanks for the GSE tip, I will go buy some tomorrow!
Joodles, I was wondering where you get the O'My lubricant. I am really sensitive to the other kinds and would love to try it. Thanks to all for such great tips!

Old 08-27-2003, 07:12 PM   #11

lisab HB User
Wink

Hey, I looked at my bottle of GSE, the company is NutriBiotic. It should be like 10 bucks at the store. Good luck. I hope it'll work for you, like it did for me.

Old 08-27-2003, 08:06 PM   #12

lisab HB User
Wink

hey, theres really good stuff on the web about GSE, one of the sites is *** Make sure you buy Nutribiotic brand, thats the one I have, all the websites say that their the pioneers of GSE. Good luck

{the posting of commercial websites is in violation of posting guidelines, bfl}

[This message has been edited by bfl (edited 08-30-2003).]

Old 08-28-2003, 06:01 AM   #13
Inactive

Shel1974 HB User
Mrs.Lee,

I bought my O'My lubricant online, just do a search for it

I LOVE IT!! Well, when I get to use it.........lol

Old 08-29-2003, 08:14 PM   #14
Veteran

UF baby HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by strand3d:
I don't think eating yogurt is really going to help or prevent a yeast infection. The bacteria in yogurt is killed by the stomach when it is digested, so it won't really do anything if you eat it.
Everything you eat affects your entire body. It's like eating citrus fruits to make yourself "taste better."

Old 08-31-2003, 04:42 AM   #15
(female)

**Sophie** HB User
Exclamation

My remedy is to dip a tampon in natural yoghurt and insert it into the vagina.

The acidophhilous in the yoghurt kills off the candida infection...

Goodluck :-)

Closed Thread