It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Women Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2003, 08:39 PM   #1

Dazed_n_Confused HB User
Post Allergic to Condoms?!

For the last 2 and a half months I've had what I thought was a bladder infection. I've been taking all the crannberry suppliments, and had perscription drugs. None of this is working. I was fine for about a week until I noticed something. My boyfriend and I are getting more serious, and have started using condoms. I had an rash one time from a pair of latex gloves I was wearing at work, and never thought anything of it. I just stopped wearing the gloves, but now I'm facing a bigger problem. The symptoms I'm experiencing are horrible. I feel exactly like I have an bladder infection. I've noticed that I have a delayed reaction to the condom though. It is usually 7 hours after the fact that I experience the bladder infection like symptoms. Could it be the spermacide and not the latex? And how harmful is it to my health to continue using this method of contraception? Could I possibly make the allergic reaction worse if I come in contact with latex again?

------------------
Take care, Alicia

Old 10-30-2003, 08:56 PM   #2

rachel1983 HB User
have you tired using a condom w/o spermicide... that might help with that question./ if you still have the problem then there are some other methods of contriception that you might want to consider. I would talk to a physician about it and see what he/she has to say. maybe they can run a test on your skin and find out what it is that you are allergic to.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2003, 09:32 PM   #3

AbleLena HB User
Allergies can get progressively worse. Try to figure out if it's the spermicide or the latex cuasing you the problems.

Polyurethane or lambskin condoms can be used if it's the latex. Spermicide-free condoms of any type will be fine if it's just the spermicide.

Lena

Old 10-30-2003, 10:18 PM   #4

Dazed_n_Confused HB User
Thanks for your suggestions. It may be a good idea to figure out exactly what it is I'm allergic too. Hopefully it's just a bladder infection that won't go away, and not an allergy. However, if I was to start the pill I'm a little paranoid about just how effective it really is. I would prefer to use the pill and a condom for the added protection against pregnancy, but in the event that I'm allergic to latex or spermacide and am left to just using the pill what are the chances that I would get pregnant? Also I'm wondering how common it is to have bladder infections after everytime you have sex?

------------------
Take care, Alicia

Old 10-31-2003, 05:48 AM   #5

anotherdizzy1 HB User
Hi dazed, just wanted to let you know, I too was allergic to latex condoms and had the same symptoms of a bladder infection. I swithched to trojan supra, which is polyurethane and it seemed to do the trick. The only problem with the lambskin is not only are they really expensive but they really stink! In my case it wasn't the spermacide, it was the latex. If you do discover you are allergic, be sure to let any healthcare professional know since even a piece of tape used in a hospital causes a reaction on me. Good luck and try the polyurethane, it worked for me.

Old 11-03-2003, 08:30 AM   #6

Dazed_n_Confused HB User
Talking

Hi Anotherdizzy1, wow tape in the hospital. I've never thought about it. But I guess latex is in a lot of products. I'm on my way to the doc's today so hopefully I can find out what is going on. Thanks for the reply!

Old 11-03-2003, 07:58 PM   #7

Dazed_n_Confused HB User
Well to update you all, I went to the Dr's today. I am being put on Macrobid for a month to see if it will heal the bladder infection. Apparently there was no infection visible in the tests, but I said that they go and come like the sun in fall. Like right now I feel it coming back, but earlier I was fine. Anyways, I don't know what is going on, but I may have to see a urologist if this doesn't get better. The Dr. didn't seem to think that latex could be the problem, but I still think it is. I'm going to test it out once more and see if I still have the same symptoms.

Old 11-03-2003, 09:46 PM   #8

rtmsgirl HB User
I agree with switching to Trojan Supras. I have also had allergic reactions to some latex condoms but the Supras were great. And guys think it also feels more natural because more heat is transmitted.

Old 11-04-2003, 12:49 AM   #9
Veteran
(male)

wackytoposthere HB User
Talking

For Latex Sensitive Condom Users.
This is a polyurethane condom. There are laboratory tests on this Microsheer Polyurethane material. These tests show that organisms even as small as sperm and viruses like HIV cannot pass through it.

These are two different kinds of condoms, both are made by Trojan

The Naturalamb brand condom is different from latex condom. Because it is made from a natural membrane, you will find it has its own special feeling of sensitivity. Naturalamb brand condoms are lubricated with unique "jelly-type" lubricant.

Old 11-05-2003, 10:52 PM   #10

Dazed_n_Confused HB User
Update:
I've been and got a perscription of antibiotics for 2 months to help with the bladder infection. I've been using latex condoms for the past week and so far so good. I wonder if it's because of the drugs that I'm not experiencing the UTI as much? My doc told me that latex may or may not be my problem, but she couldn't be sure.

Old 11-07-2003, 06:20 PM   #11

TooCuteQT HB User
i jsut figured out my problem (had same symptoms of you and got a lot of UTI's) that i am allergic to the spericide......no more of that darn stuff! haha

Old 11-09-2003, 03:51 PM   #12

Dazed_n_Confused HB User
Spermacide.. hmmm that is a possiblity, I guess the only way to find out is to use condoms without spermacide. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 11-10-2003, 09:04 PM   #13

rtmsgirl HB User
Another thing to consider about not using spermacide: It has been reported that spermicide could be harmful in that while it does kill sperm, it can also make you more susceptible to getting an STD. (The great things you learn reading Cosmo.....)

Old 11-11-2003, 01:27 AM   #14

a666ishangel HB User
hey,

i was watching talk sex with sue on oxygen on sunday night and there was a guy who was allergic to the latex and sue recommended the female condom because it was made out of something other than latex ( i cant think of what it is currently) but it seemed like a good option and just as effective. I would definitely recommend researching this option. www.talksexwithsue.com is the website that is referred to on the show but there are a bajillion others out there

becca

Old 11-11-2003, 10:46 AM   #15
(female)

BigMomma24 HB User
Had the same problem. Latex condoms made me itchy and I had several UTI's before realizing the link. So, I switched to the Trojan Supra's , which worked for a while, but the expense was killing both my partner and I. Also, the darn things broke a lot!

If your partner and you are in a manogamous (sp) relationship, maybe you should both get tested and try out a different kind of birth control (the pill, or the patch, etc...) I was so relieved when I finally switched. I didn't have to worry about putting on the condom, and the sensation without it is amazing. Also, my insurance covered the BC and we didn't have to spend the $$$$ on those expensive condoms. Good luck!!

Last edited by BigMomma24; 11-11-2003 at 10:49 AM.

Closed Thread