It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Women Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2003, 05:38 PM   #1
(male)

elty HB User
how to calculate safe period?

say, my gf period comes on the 15th and she is on a 30 days cycle. What will be the safe period and how safe it really is?

Old 11-21-2003, 05:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Magnetic HB UserMagnetic HB User
Re: how to calculate safe period?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elty
say, my gf period comes on the 15th and she is on a 30 days cycle. What will be the safe period and how safe it really is?
A female is typically most fertile about 14 days before her period. Her "safe" period, if you mean when the odds of pregnancy are lowest, would be a week before to a week after her period. Taking her basil body temperature is the best predictor of ovulation. This method, if the female is regular, can be fairly effective at birth control, but should only be used by those who are prepared to have a child.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2003, 07:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User

Your best bet is to not fool around with trying to figure out safe times,just proper protection such as you put on a condom and she be on some form of birth control like the pill or the patch.
Trying to figure safe times is not a great way to go because you can very easily screw that up or the girl's cycle can change. Then throw in the fact that sperm can live inside her up to 7 days doesnt give you any leeway. Also counting backwards from the start of her period doesnt always work. The day 14 idea doesnt go for most women either. Figuring safe times involves a lot of work...taking temps,having a regular cycle,knowing othe signs to look for because charting temps isnt always accurate,knowing one's LP(luteal phase) and just plain knowing one's body.
You also cant relay go by the week before and the week after a period because one cant be for sure if the previous cycle or the upcoming cycle is going to be normal for her. The previous cycle she could have ovulated later or the upcoming cycle she could ovulate earlier than you think. Then you have to throw in that there are some girls and women who ovulate more than once a month. One doesnt have to have a period for every time one ovulates.
Again your best bet is to not fool around with trying to figure her "safe times" and just use a condom along with her getting on some form of birth control.
She can get on birth cotnrol without her parents knowing by either going to a Planned Parenthood or health clinic. You can very easily get condoms at any Wal-Mart or other such stores.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 11-21-2003, 10:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by elty
What will be the safe period and how safe it really is?
That method of birth control is called the rhythm method and is NOT considered an effective or reliable form of birth control. It is a very good way to have babies.

Listen to Blastoff.

Old 11-22-2003, 11:18 AM   #5
(male)

Amontillado HB User

There isn't such a thing as a safe period but there are variations in the level of danger.

Condoms. Drugstore. Do it.

Old 11-22-2003, 04:07 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Actually, by monitoring the basil temperature (which removes part of the randomness), this method of birth control is quite effective. Still, I recommend it only for those who want to have kids but don't think they are quite ready. It is a no-no method for teens and those not in a committed relationship that cannot provide proper love and support for a child.

Old 11-22-2003, 04:17 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User

Magnetic,I use BBT along with CM charting but I am using it to get pregnant,it is far more reliable for those wanting to get pregnant instead of avoiding. Even though I know my body and I know how to use bbt charts and such there is no way I would use it as birth control because there are too many other factors that can throw off the little thing and hence wind up with an unplanned pregnancy. That is why when I dont want to get pregnant I use proper birth control that has fewer odds of failing than what BBT charting has.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 11-23-2003, 01:37 AM   #8

Hamer HB User

There really is never too safe of a time, my mom got pregnant with me when she was on her period..

Old 11-23-2003, 02:30 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

I have known people who used BBT and avoided pregnancy for years, then used it to finally get pregnant the first time they tried. While it can be pretty reliable, it is hardly foolproof and, as I said, should only be used by those who are prepared to deal with a baby. As has been pointed out, it is possible to get pregant during a period (which, statistically, should be pretty safe time), but for those who refuse to use contraception, this method at least puts the odds more in their favor.

Closed Thread