It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Women Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2003, 05:59 PM   #1

TearyEyed HB User
Question Spotting on Depo Provera

Hello everyone,
I have recently switched my birth control method from the pill (Ortho Tricyclen), to injectable Depo Provera. I have many friends that are on Depo and they absolutely love it. I switched because the pill was starting to give me nausea and late cycle spotting.

I was checked out for STD's and other problems and I am completely clean and healthy. Since the pill was giving me these problems, my doctor said it would be fine for me to switch to Depo.

I had my first shot on November 4th, and I have been spotting pretty much ever since. I know spotting or bleeding is typical for the first while, but I was just wondering if anyone else had the same problem? Spotting daily for over a month is a bit of a hassle, and a bit of a damper on a sex life. How long does it usually take for spotting to stop? Typically...

Does anyone know anything that could stop the spotting? I've heard that getting another shot early, in week 10 or 11 can help... instead of waiting 13 weeks. I've also heard that using Premarin estrogren cream or even taking Ibuprofen (sp?) can help.

Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks very much

Old 12-12-2003, 07:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User
Re: Spotting on Depo Provera

I hope you know about the weight gain that can occur. I also hope your dr informed you to increase your calcium intake. Depo Provera causes bone density loss. The weight gain for some can be minor but for alot it can be over 10 pounds. Mine for the short 6 months I was on it gained 50 pounds. And I bleed the entire time...6 months of nonstop spotting. I even had to argue with my dr because I needed a pap during those 6 months and he wouldnt do it because of the spotting. You could stop spotting with your next shot or you could continue until the third one or until you decide you have had enough and quit getting the shot.
I also found out about another lesser known side effect of Depo Provera...that is infertility. Put it this way I had my last shot Oct 22,1996(yes I remember the exact date)there was no other birth control after that last shot...I didnt manage to get pregnant with my second son until Feb of 2000..over three years of infertility. I had to go to numerous doctors to try and get pregnant. Not a fun thing to go through.
Also be aware your sex drive can take a nose dive with Depo,along with depression and awful mood swings. The bad thing about Depo is if you have side effects you have to deal with them until it is our of your system.

Do a search for the Depo Provera site and read up on the side effects.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2003, 07:51 PM   #3

TearyEyed HB User

I did a lot of research before I chose to go on Depo Provera. The one thing that is misleading, is that you'll hardly ever find people posting on the internet about birth control if they're happy with it. You always find posts where people are unhappy with the effects of what they're taken. It's sort of a biased way to make a decision.

It's been over a month, since I had my first shot, which is still a relatively short amount of time. As I said, I've had the spotting ever since day one. However, this is the only side effect I'm having. My weight is the same, and the fact that you gained 50 pounds in 6 months is fairly excessive. It's a lot to blame on birth control. Although as I said, it's still early and you never know... it seems to be somewhat common.

My friends who are on Depo are young and healthy and haven't had any side effects from it. I guess I was hoping I could be the same. The truth is, I have a boyfriend and I feel terrible about never being able to have sex with him. The consant spotting is a burden. That's what I blame the lack of sex drive on.

I still have a few pack of Ortho Tricyclen left, and I'm wondering how easy it would be to switch back? Should I stick with the Depo for another shot, or should I just not risk it? When can I start taking the pill again? The week I'm due for a shot?

Old 12-12-2003, 09:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

It's been over a month, since I had my first shot, which is still a relatively short amount of time. As I said, I've had the spotting ever since day one. However, this is the only side effect I'm having. My weight is the same, and the fact that you gained 50 pounds in 6 months is fairly excessive. It's a lot to blame on birth control. Although as I said, it's still early and you never know... it seems to be somewhat common.

I whole heartedly agree it was excessive but it sure as heck didnt have anything to do with anything else in my life expect Depo. I was on the slim fast deal,two shakes a day and then dinner. With the occasional fruit snack. I also exercised everyday. There was no grounds for me to gain that kind of wieght with what I was doing in my life. I have had other friends who were on Depo that loved it,granted one got pregnant not once but twice while on it. But I also have friends that had horrible weight gain and the other bad side effects. If it had just been me that had gained that much weight despite wheat I was doing to lose weight then I would say that something was wrong with me and not Depo but I saw toher friends gain weight like crazy on it. The fertility doctors I have seen over the years have also informed me that with the women they have treated after Depo my weight gain was common for them to see.
I will admit for some Depo is a great form of birth control but itis one has to be throughly aware of the risks that it carries.

As for what you should do you are going to have it either decide for yourself or talk to your doctor. Especailly on if you decide to go back on the pill then talk to your doctor about when would be a good time to start them. Also there are other brands and doses out there when it comes to the pill. It could be that your body got use to that form of pill and you just either need a different brand or dose. Also there is the patch or nuva ring that might work for you.

I can so understand feeling bad about not having sex with your bf. I felt horrible that I wasnt in the mood for my DH during that time. But he was wonderful about it and was the one that figured out what was going on with me and talked me into not getting the next shot.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 12-13-2003, 12:36 PM   #5
Veteran

strand3d HB User

You can talk to your gyno about getting your shots more often to try and stop your bleeding, but it may or may not work. The bleeding is just a normal side effect that can last anywhere from one to three shots. Although weight gain can be a side effect, it doesn't have to be. weight gain is also a side effect on the pill, but not all women get it. So that's not anything to panic about. Infertility is has not been proven in depo, although some women may take up to one year to get pregnant after spotting depo. Good luck, talk to your gyno about it.

Old 12-13-2003, 02:45 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Strand then you need to tell the doctors I have seen that infertility and Depo arent connected. I have seen several in two different states(clear across the counrty I might add) and each and every one of them as soon as they saw or heard I had been on Depo told me I would have problems. They had seen numerous women thanks to Depo.
Granted the FDA hasnt said there is a link but with the doctors I have seen and from my own experience I do believe that for some women it can lead to infertility.
Also if you read the info that talks about the side effects of Depo there is the part that says it can take up to 18 months for fertility to return not just a year. Mine took over three years and that was with help.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 12-13-2003, 03:02 PM   #7
Veteran

strand3d HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoff9600
Strand then you need to tell the doctors I have seen that infertility and Depo arent connected. I have seen several in two different states(clear across the counrty I might add) and each and every one of them as soon as they saw or heard I had been on Depo told me I would have problems. They had seen numerous women thanks to Depo.
Granted the FDA hasnt said there is a link but with the doctors I have seen and from my own experience I do believe that for some women it can lead to infertility.
Also if you read the info that talks about the side effects of Depo there is the part that says it can take up to 18 months for fertility to return not just a year. Mine took over three years and that was with help.
You're mroe than welcome to believe depo is the evil spawn of satan and causes infertilitly, but i've met many women who love depo, stay on it for years, come off it, and have no problem convieving. There is ALWAYS a chance that you'll be the unlucky girl who has issues with it, it doesn't mean that it effects every woman like that. I've read all your posts before about your struggles with depo, but its not going to somehow convince me that it's bad for women. Because depo stays in a woman's system for a long period of time, of COURSE its going to take possibly years for fertility to come back.

I think depo is a wonderful option for women. Everyone has their horror stories, big deal.

Old 12-13-2003, 03:18 PM   #8

TearyEyed HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by strand3d
You're mroe than welcome to believe depo is the evil spawn of satan and causes infertilitly, but i've met many women who love depo, stay on it for years, come off it, and have no problem convieving. There is ALWAYS a chance that you'll be the unlucky girl who has issues with it, it doesn't mean that it effects every woman like that. I've read all your posts before about your struggles with depo, but its not going to somehow convince me that it's bad for women. Because depo stays in a woman's system for a long period of time, of COURSE its going to take possibly years for fertility to come back.

I think depo is a wonderful option for women. Everyone has their horror stories, big deal.
Thank you so much for your post. It was nice to hear from someone who doesn't blame all of their health problems on Depo. Nobody I know has had weight or fertility problems from it. Not to say that it doesn't cause problems for some people. But I've read stories about women who say they've gained upwards of 80 pounds from Depo. This is rediculous. Your body won't just produce it's own fat and allow you to gain that much weight JUST because you go on Depo Provera. It's all a matter of what you put in your mouth. I've had NO mood swings from it at all, I've lost a couple of pounds, everything is fine but the spotting was bothering me. I had a long discussion about it with my boyfriend and he completely supports me staying on Depo even if the spotting contines.

I've heard some stories linking infertility and Depo Provera, but the truth is... no one really knows. A lot of doctors can SAY there is a connection, but there is no proof. If that were the case, and it was positive... they wouldn't continue to sell Depo-Provera. Some doctors still insist that wearing anti-perspirant or underwire bras cause cancer, that doesn't mean it's true. All drugs have side effects, but people shouldn't necessarily use that as an excuse for all of their health issues. If it takes me 18 months to get my cycle back, that's not a concern for me. I'm not thinking about having children for another 5 to 10 years, so that's why Depo is perfect for me.

Old 12-13-2003, 07:05 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

If you had truly read my posts you would see that I do agree that for some it is a good choice. But it is a choice that one should be made aware of all the side effects that could occur. I have seen many women in which their doctors never informed them of the spotting,weight gain,loss of sex drive and so on. It wasnt until they went to their doctors with questions about what was going on did they get some of the info. I have also said I know some women that love Depo and I say more power to them.

I will say again my weight gain with Depo was purely from Depo Provera,there is no other way to explain it. I was on the slim fast diet...two shakes a day with low fat milk(I hate low fat milk) and then a simple dinner. I also exercised between 4 to 5 times a week and walked every night for an hour. So it wasnt a matter of what I was putting my mouth it was a matter of how my body reacted to Depo.

As for horror stories and too bad that is kind of a sad thing to say. Considering that China uses Depo Provera as a form of sterilization for the women there...just a higher dose that what is used for regular birth control. It is used in sex offenders for chemical castration. Seems a bit extreme to use the same thing for birth control...and to me is just an open door to more horror stories.
But again I do agree that for some it is a decent birth control.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 12-22-2003, 10:15 AM   #10

Jayne0001 HB User

I hope you are still reading the responses to this...

I am a 37 year old mom of 5 (ages 16 on Dec 29, 13, 10, 6.5 and 2.5) I am in excellent health and not over weight. I had issues with the pill (sickness nausea the norm) and also I got pregnant with babies 2, 3 and 4 on the pill. **never missed one** My OB said I am very fertile and it sometimes happens. After my son was born in Feb 2001, I decided I wanted to try Depo. I didn't have the spotting at all. I was nursing my son and had not had my cycle yet when I started the shot. I never had any bleeding at all. I did gain a little weight although my eating habits never changed. I had to change them and then I did loose some of the weight. I was the only one of my friends with kids who was on the shot. I have quite a few friends who are still on the shot who have never had any problems and now only one of them has no kids (by choice). My own experience was not so good though. When I stopped the shot I did not have a cycle for over 9 months. I was told this was normal. My husband and I used condoms until all was clear and I could use something else. My OB/GYN told me I needed to start my nornal cycle first before trying anything else. Not a problem. When the flood gates opened they really did. I started to bleed like a cut PIG. I ended up in the ER and an emergency D&C had to be done It was awful. . But I was the only one of all my friends this happened to. My very best freind is still on the shot and her son is now 7 months old and she was on it longer than anyone I know. She stopped taking it to get pregnant it took her about four months to do so. The moral to my story is Depo effects every one differently. No two stories are the same. I am the owner of a two sided coin. One side untarnished and the other with lots of faults to it. (Biased and Unbiased) Whatever you have decided to do listen to your inner-self and do what you think is best. You may never have any problems like my one g/f. No spotting, no weight gain or anything else. And I am the oldest of the group I would be the first to know if there was a problem . Have you saught the advise of your MOM on this?? I would hope my daughters would

I wish you all the best

Old 01-04-2004, 06:52 PM   #11

TearyEyed HB User

I'm sorry to hear about your story. That's a little scary. I myself have been diagnosed as being very fertile, and I have a friend who became pregnant while she was on the pill. This caused enough paranoia to make me want to give Depo a try. It's been a few weeks since I last posted. My condition is the exact same. I still feel just fine. No mood swings, no weight gain... nothing like that. However, I'm still spotting. I've been spotting since a couple days after I got my shot in November. It's now January. Talk about frustrating. I'm really lucky I have such an understanding boyfriend. I guess that was the main reason for my original post. I've read a bunch of horror stories, and I know a bunch of people that love Depo. I really just need to know if anyone knows a way to stop this spotting. It's really beginning to be a burdon.

As for talking to my mom, of course I did. My mom knew I was on the pill and having some problems with it. I told her I went to see the doctor and that he was putting me on Depo. My mother is a nurse, and she was slighty uneasy of me changing methods because she's heard terrible stories too, but I'm not moody or crazy or getting heavy... so she sticks by my decision. If my doctor can't help me out, and find a way to stop this spotting I will discontinue the use of Depo and go back on the pill. I'm calling for an appointment tomorrow...

Closed Thread