It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Women Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2003, 02:10 PM   #1

Kaia_27 HB User
Question Gyno Exam During Period Time?

I was supposed to go in for a PAP smear yesterday, but had to reschedule for next week. Problem is, I forgot AF usually comes around that time! I've heard that this is a bad time because it's harder to read the test results. Is this true? It wasn't my doctor that said this - I read it in a magazine, I think. Does anyone know for sure? Thanks!

Old 12-16-2003, 02:19 PM   #2

Satbast HB User
Re: Gyno Exam During Period Time?

I'm fairly certain they won't want to do a Pap on you while you're on your period..So you may have to reschedule again. Call the Dr.'s and ask them to be sure. As I recall, you are also supposed to avoid putting anything into the vaginal area for at least 48 hours beforehand (tampons, having sex, etc) cuz that can mess up the results. But like I said, I'm not certain, and you'll want to ask your doc to be sure.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2003, 07:26 PM   #3

wondertwin44 HB User

I'm pretty sure that going when you have your period isn't going to work. I've heard that you should go the week after to get the best results. I would reschedule again if I were you.
Game over. I had to accept the fact that in life some women are simply better and no amount of shoes or lack of pastry or making of pies will change that. I will never be the woman with the perfect hair who can wear white and not spill on it and chair committees and write thank you notes. And I can't feel bad about that.
Carrie, ~SATC~

Old 12-17-2003, 01:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

It's pointless having it done during your period. Firstly they wont do it, or if you are bleeding extremely lightly or you are at the very start of your period or very end, it will leave traces of blood on the smear which wont give accurate enough results. Mid cycle is the best time for it.

Old 12-17-2003, 09:44 AM   #5

Kaia_27 HB User

Thanks for responding! Maybe I'll be ok because AF usually doesn't come until the 24th, but it sometimes comes a little early. The appt. is for the 22nd. Hmm, guess I'll just wait and see - I can always reschedule.

Old 12-17-2003, 11:05 AM   #6
Veteran

PAISLEY HB User

I hear that they have a new test kit that actually filters the blood out so it won't get on the smear...Maybe you should ask your doctor about this just to make sure?

Old 12-17-2003, 01:47 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota HB User

I've always been told that unless your having problems that need immediate attention the Gyno won't even see you if it's that time of the month...

Old 12-17-2003, 02:38 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User

Take the wait-and-see approach. The doc will give you a good idea of whether it's worth it to schedule another appt.

Closed Thread